EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Though none of the locos I could see were especially susceptible to Mazak Rot.

Also, I doubt if the vendor has even heard of "Mazak", let alone "Mazak Rot"!

Perhaps we are facing a new horror - Mayfair Rot!?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Seems slightly overpriced and I'm not sure where Mayfair comes into it but you do get a cannon

Bid before it's gone

I suppose by plugging in and using the controller in the set could well save one the cost of a visit to Dignitas, otherwise singularly overpriced tat that one could not shift at a car boot sale at any price.

• Funny 9

10 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Seems slightly overpriced and I'm not sure where Mayfair comes into it but you do get a cannon

Bid before it's gone

“Oy oy, Rodney, look what I found in the skip behind that gaff down in Mayfair!”

”Oh, what have you got now, Del?”

”This lot - it’ll be worth a mint! I mean, Grandad’s always rabbiting on about how old toys are worth a fortune, aren’t you, Grandad?”

”I don’t know, Del Boy; what you got in the box?”

”Well, there’s some of these engines and… a bit of track and … ‘ow much should we ask for it, do you think?”

”I don’t know, Del Boy!”

”Rodney?”

“One, two? Three, four ton?”

”Lovely jubbly, Rodders … £1,234 it is! I tell you, this time next year we’ll be millionaires!” *

HOURS OF FUN!

* for more inspiration, see Gostude

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SteveyDee68 said:

“Oy oy, Rodney, look what I found in the skip behind that gaff down in Mayfair!”

”Oh, what have you got now, Del?”

”This lot - it’ll be worth a mint! I mean, Grandad’s always rabbiting on about how old toys are worth a fortune, aren’t you, Grandad?”

”I don’t know, Del Boy; what you got in the box?”

”Well, there’s some of these engines and… a bit of track and … ‘ow much should we ask for it, do you think?”

”I don’t know, Del Boy!”

”Rodney?”

“One, two? Three, four ton?”

”Lovely jubbly, Rodders … £1,234 it is! I tell you, this time next year we’ll be millionaires!” *

HOURS OF FUN!

* for more inspiration, see Gostude

Eat your heart out John Sullivan!

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

So much for the theory that Hattons 2nd hand department are rogues. This one appears to be a bargain.

Presumably, to keep the balance, he'll be sending Hattons some more money, or does it only work one way?

Mike.

• Funny 1

I don't think their rogues to be honest, but if you are buying model railways stuff you have to buy low and sell high as it's pointless doing it otherwise and I don't think anyone here would try offloading their stuff on Hattons because you know you'd get a better deal elsewhere. Getting naive sellers to approach you is why they advertise as it cuts out the competition. A friend of mine's father died and his daughter got an offer for his "toy trains" of 600 pounds from a dealer. Now she was more than happy with that but I managed to persuade her to let me sell it for her FOC and with a third of it still to sell she 's made double that so the dealer was looking at a grand plus profit easily. Good luck to him but if he had made a half decent offer with a fair profit for himself I wouldn't have butted in, but....greed..

That said there is bargains on Hattons no doubt but there pricing system is a constant source of amusement with wrecks going for more than runners. As an example, loads of  HD 3 rails BR tanks on there,  varying condition, some non runners, some poor runners ranging from 23 pounds to 35. This is apparently one of the better ones😂 so either they've lost track of what they're selling stuff for or they're operating on some other profit framework. But yes it's always worth a look for pricing oddities.

Please wear eye protection

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is the fundamental issue with Hats' secondhand, that pricing is inconsistent and overly predicated on the state of the box.  Bargains and fair pricing can be found, but wading through the listings has become onerous and, personally, I don't bother with them any more, life's too short, and it's their loss. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

This …

HO scale Tamping Unit

or essentially the same thing …

Lilliput Tamping Unit

for a lot less £ !!!

And, just for once, it isn’t our old friend Mr G!

HOURS OF FUN!

Runs like a sewing machine? Well I guess tamping is kind of like stabbing a needle in and out repeatedly. Brand name abuse as well. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

This …

HO scale Tamping Unit

or essentially the same thing …

Lilliput Tamping Unit

for a lot less £ !!!

And, just for once, it isn’t our old friend Mr G!

HOURS OF FUN!

No, not the same thing. 

It's to a British outline and to correct 1:76 scale, either hand-built or kitbuilt resin/etched, whereas the Liliput is a continental version and HO scale in plastic, produced in much larger quantities.  Price seems to be in the right ball park for one of these.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

They're out of stock at Wizard Models, which might explain the bidding.

I got some from Roxey the other day and still showing as in stock - £3.10

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They don't look very new to me.  New ones aren't usually covered in solder

And why 7 washers too ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

No, not the same thing. 

It's to a British outline and to correct 1:76 scale, either hand-built or kitbuilt resin/etched, whereas the Liliput is a continental version and HO scale in plastic, produced in much larger quantities.  Price seems to be in the right ball park for one of these.

Crikey O’Reilly! Well, you live and learn. Where’s the “shocked” emoji? 😮

Although, if I did want one of these (I don’t), then I would put up with the 3.5mm/foot version, run it in the background and explain that it is “far away” and save myself £450 for some very nice shunting locos instead! 😁

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Crikey O’Reilly! Well, you live and learn. Where’s the “shocked” emoji? 😮

Although, if I did want one of these (I don’t), then I would put up with the 3.5mm/foot version, run it in the background and explain that it is “far away” and save myself £450 for some very nice shunting locos instead! 😁

HOURS OF FUN!

If you wanted an HO scale tamper, this one is far more impressive than either of them and it's cheaper the OO one from Britannia Pacific too.  It can drop its tamping tines to the ballast every couple of sleepers as it runs - and it doesn't even need to be on DCC to turn that function on and off, although of course DCC allows better control than running it analogue. 

Or if you want On-Track Plant or a more limited budget, Kibri do a pretty good range of kits although of course they are HO scale again.  Just a matter of time before somebody produces one of the Rail Grinders fitted with the same sound that the local residents invariably complain about!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1296644/viessmann_2692_po_plasser_theurer_tamper_hf_wiebe_dcc_fitted,_with_sound_pre_owned_coupling/stockdetail?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF-q19A44iKq-0gcO9MqdKyEJJbXZyrdrXuHcqrvt9-DYZssJYSEsiMaAs6tEALw_wcB

And Märklin have followed suit...

https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/39935

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Still annoyed that you couldn't quite afford the Bradford Exchange Queen Elizabeth memorial locomotive? Well now get the exact same locomotive and coaches for Christmas*

213 shopping days left

*Does not include Queen, flags or coin stuck on front.

Edited by Sjcm
  • Funny 3