RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Yes, the Mk3s were introduced with TT in 1957 and were migrated to OO/HO at the same time.

You can see the burned-out coach has the "half-moon" Mk2B coupling.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not to mention £25 for P&P.  Not all he's got at ludicrous prices either.

When I see things priced at way over their market value, I tend to suspect that the "sale" (whether or not goods actually change hands) is part of a money laundering operation.  That's provided it sells of course.

£537.90 for tracked postage to Australia. For that I'd expect it hand delivered! The all up price I mean.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

When I see things priced at way over their market value, I tend to suspect that the "sale" (whether or not goods actually change hands) is part of a money laundering operation.  That's provided it sells of course.

Wishy-Washy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Completely unrealistic, its TOO CLEAN*!

Of course it should have a smell dispenser too...

* eg  where's the flourescent green growth up the dividers, the verdigris on the piping and the cistern should be black with rusting seams...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Completely unrealistic, its TOO CLEAN*!

Of course it should have a smell dispenser too...

* eg  where's the flourescent green growth up the dividers, the verdigris on the piping and the cistern should be black with rusting seams...

And some scuttling varmints!?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And some scuttling varmints!?

Not during the day/at busy times, I expect, though there may be some hiding in any "sit down" facilities...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If you look at this guy's profile, he has 1100 items for sale, most of which are seriously overpriced. However, in the last 3 months he's only sold 5 items at modest prices, and since joining in 2006 only 206 items. But he has 175 followers, and many of these overpriced items have large numbers of watchers. So what's his purpose?  Listing all these items must be a lot of work but don't seem to be generating any revenue. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PMW said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334656551264?hash=item4deb15b960:g:-0IAAOSwVHZjkGFr

A touch overpriced methinks, and "new", that's a real stretch. 

I’ve seen certain Lima locos sell for a fair bit, class 20s I see go for a pretty penny, certain 37 liveries too, but £115 for a Lima Deltic?

Got one in a small job lot last year (was only the Lima Deltic and two Triang/Hornby locos), which a family friend had bought for me, for the grand total of a tenner! Granted, there was no box, so they couldn’t sell it for awfully much!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Looking for Bachmann FGA wagons on a general Google search, and ending up hitting these on eBay…

Now, is it me or is that a touch overpriced?

Steve S

Individually there are a number available in the £35-40 price range, so £139 for 4 new ones seems about right?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Looking for Bachmann FGA wagons on a general Google search, and ending up hitting these on eBay…

Now, is it me or is that a touch overpriced?

Steve S

Seller claims they're £159 a set, making them £39.75 apiece, whichever way I look at it seems like a lot!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RFS said:

Individually there are a number available in the £35-40 price range, so £139 for 4 new ones seems about right?

I’ve bought one short wheelbase Bachmann wagon at £31 - a cement wagon, to use as a “template” to ‘upgrade’ cheaper wagons that come into my hands! And it was the cheapest version I could find in my local model shop (not eBay), the next cheapest being £35!

Likewise I have bought one Rapido ferry van, to act as a template to improve all those Triang Hornby examples I’ve picked up cheaply off eBay.

I found myself a Bachmann ‘standard’ mineral wagon for £13 a couple of weeks ago at The Locoshed - that will be my template when building Airfix/Dapol kits of the same.

I feel extremely itchy about paying £40 for a short wheelbase OO wagon - £5 more and I could buy the same in O gauge, and that seems better value for money in terms of what’s in your hands in exchange for the same number of cake tokens!

Which was the argument my friend put forward when we attended the Barnsley Model Show and he looked at retail prices for models for the first time in around 10 years. Food for thought - if only O gauge didn’t take up so much room!

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Whst the guy in the blue hat doing.... and the "brethe easy returns" made me chuckle 

the guy coming out with his hand up says it all

And don't forget the 'couple of minor glue marks'! - 'Get yer trousers on you're nicked!'

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That loco is about thirty years older than the box it's in , (Wrenn R1?) also I suspect are the wagons.

The chassis may be even older than that. It's an old Triang 0-6-0 chassis wedged into a HD R1 body 

Quite a hybridosity!!!

Cheers, Rich

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I find that nothing says 'mendacious chiseller' as loudly and clearly as an AI-generated description, and is always an indication of good entertainment value to be had from a squiz at 'Seller's Other Items'.  This one did not disappoint!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I find that nothing says 'mendacious chiseller' as loudly and clearly as an AI-generated description, and is always an indication of good entertainment value to be had from a squiz at 'Seller's Other Items'.  This one did not disappoint!

Except it does have a good box!

And lots of pre-installed carpet fluff - what could go wrong?

But the starting price is fair at 99P, so anyone putting in a bid, isn't being ripped off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2