RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Eat your heart out Michael Edge ! perhaps its time for a price rise if folk are prepared to pay this much for a kit that is priced cheaper brand new. (and where you are at least guaranteed to find all the part in the box.)

Yet another case of folk bidding beyond the true price for no reason - always makes me chuckle

Not ebay madness but something seems to have gone awry with Amazon. Am looking for a copy of Workhorses of London Underground which was published for something like £8.95 - a couple of used one on sale in US/Canada for $30-40 + p/p from other vendors. Looking for said book on Amazon UK shows nil stock but they can supply used ones through these 2 stockists:

http://www.amazon.co...&condition=used

Logically (a word that doesn't always apply to Ebay, but I still think of Amazon as a bastion of sanity in a mad world), those must be a couple of decimal points which have slipped 2 places to the right, surely? £10 for the paperback, and £59.40 for the hardback, would seem to be sensible prices.

• RMweb Premium

To think that someone might buy them just to place on any old layout and claim some credit of exhibition provenance. I think they belong with the layout and scrapped with it or returned to the club(s) concerned.

These plates date from the first half of the 1980s, somehow I can't see how a 30 year old exhibition provenance will enchance the value of a layout that is 30 years old? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Eat your heart out Michael Edge ! perhaps its time for a price rise if folk are prepared to pay this much for a kit that is priced cheaper brand new. (and where you are at least guaranteed to find all the part in the box.)

Yet another case of folk bidding beyond the true price for no reason - always makes me chuckle

A D&S 10T LNWR ref 404 currently listed at £9.99 starting price, £25.00 Buy It Now, plus postage £4.50 (from Denmark).

The revised kit from LRM, including improved etches with more components and details is £16.50 plus £2.00 P&P.

Optimism by the seller or confidence that some one will be ignorant enough to buy it in the belief they are getting a bargain?

• Like 1

A D&S 10T LNWR ref 404 currently listed at £9.99 starting price, £25.00 Buy It Now, plus postage £4.50 (from Denmark).

The revised kit from LRM, including improved etches with more components and details is £16.50 plus £2.00 P&P.

Optimism by the seller or confidence that some one will be ignorant enough to buy it in the belief they are getting a bargain?

I have spotted the D&S kit and it does seem to be someone trying to play a sneaky one for a good sale price

Noticably of late LNWR stock prices have been high, old GEM kits are fetching nearly double of late, special tank excluded, Built and finished items are high, notably a claughton at £201, and two horse boxes at £125 a piece, mind that said nice to see the Premier line still has good interest in it

You can put in a speculative bid for the bare minimum. That will automatically remove the "Buy-It-Now" price, meaning that the fee the seller paid eBay for the "B-I-N" option is wasted! :stinker:

You can put in a speculative bid for the bare minimum. That will automatically remove the "Buy-It-Now" price, meaning that the fee the seller paid eBay for the "B-I-N" option is wasted! :stinker:

True, and serves em right, but why spend a possible £14.49 on an old kit when I could spend £18.50 on a new LRM one with better components and a nicer build, £4.99 starting bid yes I would have gone for it

...but I still think of Amazon as a bastion of sanity in a mad world

Why? They always rip you off compared with other book dealers.

Always? Really? I find them OK for what I want, and at least with fixed prices, you don't have to enter some dodgy auction to see whether you can buy or not...

Anyway, it's an Ebay thread, so I won't continue arguing about Amazon!

Was this the reason this seller stopped the auction of his lots as they were going too cheep. http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230767134338?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

Edited by industrial

• RMweb Gold

I see he uses the cheap search trick of putting the words "Hornby" and "Trix" in the title, even though this model has nothing to do with either of those companies, and is much superior to any model produced by them.

• RMweb Gold

A lovely model. Pity you can get 3 or 4 of the mass produced ones for this price now!

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

True, but I wouldn't part with my FIA one for a Dapol one. They're stunning. I will wait for the Bachmann version though, then judge which plastic one is best for day to day running!

I could have bought a car for that money!

I could have bought 9 cars, my last 1 cost £151 and is still running 2 and a half years later, total cost so far is £426 and that includes a cambelt/ watere pump, clutch change, a Pioneer CD multi changer, 2 MOTS and 2 services.

It aint much but its been a damn good runner up until last Monday when the injector pump went, still only £68 for a second hand 1 with 3 months guarentee, will be making a start on sticking that on tomorrow after work, timing it up will be "interesting".