RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the unrealistic price and unrealistic grafitti it is not a bad representation of a scrap loco.....

Yes, it's a quite creditable weathering job for a scrap loco..a shame it has been spoiled with the unrealistic white lettering.

• RMweb Gold

I do hate whinging and for or a 'trader' with 39000+ sales he should know how to do a better job with his descriptive style. I always ignore 'shouty' lettering.

...........Also the stupid 'LOOK' always makes me want to ignore it.

• RMweb Premium

It has now reached a point where if you want to sell a Bachmann Class 37, you will get far more breaking it down into chassis, ends, body and box and selling them seperately, about twice as much by my workings out!!!

Utter lunacy...

Arry & Bert

£1500 for two children's toy trains.

I asked the seller as to why the price was so high.

Could you please explain the thinking behind the price - £1500? These have an original RRP in and around £8.

This was the response:

what people are willing to pay for things is not about what the manufacturing costs are or the rrp.

what is your point?i will be reporting the comments to ebay as it is not the place to comment or discuss items for sale unless it is a genuine question. since when did ebay become a forum for people.

i will not be responding to any further remarks or comments from you as this matter will be forwarded to ebay.

I'm amazed at the veracity and aggressiveness of people.

Well the page does explain the thinking clear enough, spelling mistake on the packet. It will be interesting to see if the imagined market is really there. The rest of his offerings look to be normal toys and the guy may well be suffering from our current economy.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Arry & Bert

I don't know how it works with these particular things for 'collectability' but mistakes like that - especially if they only rarely got into general circulation - can have a massive impact on prices in the serious collector market. Different coloured wheels on early 'Matchbox' models can affect the price by hundreds of £s and sometimes the really rare 'oddities can make differences running into four figures. I have seen some Corgi items which to you and me are just 'toy cars' leap into four figure bids in the auction room when the 'right' buyers are present or on the 'phone. 'Serious collecting' (and some other things in auction rooms) can be awesome pricey at times, even if you're only watching; it can get positively frightening if you're bidding.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

£47.42 was what the Class 37 ends went for in the end, just one word...

WHY?!?!?!?!?

Two word answer:

ebay madness

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Arry & Bert

This was the response:

I'm amazed at the veracity and aggressiveness of people.

Well nothing to stop you making an offer that is not 'Silly'. As per - PLEASE NO SILLY OFFERS

Kevin Martin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But it is amazing what people will pay for cr rare collector's items!

And it is even more amazing just how nasty it can sometimes get. I was at a large model railway auction a year ago Christmas time where two buyers were 'interested' in Hornby LMS pacifics (0 gauge that is). One of them scooped away the first three by pushing the bidding up over £1,000 in each case and then came one in need of a decent repaint and some TLC - which gave the chap who was clearly a modeller and not a dealer more than a grain of hope, bit the other chap pushed the price up to £900 just to stop him getting it. In the end the same high bidder finished up with all 6 of the locos that had come up in that auction and he had paid an average hammer price of about £1,000 - 1,100 for them. But that was nothing as he went on to collar almost all the hand built GW 0 gauge locos plus several others although I lost count when he was up to the £30,000 mark (in total) at hammer prices - then he had to pay roundly 20% in commission and VAT thereon on top of the hammer price total. And folk wonder why there are high prices on EBay.

• RMweb Premium

Had an odd experience today. Bid on a loco, it had been listed before but I forgot about it so when it appeared again I was quite pleased. In the listing were the words 'Apologies but previous listing was cancelled in error' so fair enough I thought. In goes my bid, all is well but then an hour before it is due to finish, all bids are cancelled and item listing is cancelled by the seller again.

Suspicious? :scratchhead:

Two word answer:

ebay madness

Cheers,

Mick

aaah but wait and see, Class 37 split headcode ends, on Class 37 TTG 37/0 bodies for less than £12.00 each ??? reliveried into other sector locos = priceless, still not yet modelled by Bachmann, sell the original centre headcode nose for for £15.00 a pair on Ebay.................so not too bad in the end, when you consider it is still £15.00 for an Express Model lighting kit.

Had an odd experience today. Bid on a loco, it had been listed before but I forgot about it so when it appeared again I was quite pleased. In the listing were the words 'Apologies but previous listing was cancelled in error' so fair enough I thought. In goes my bid, all is well but then an hour before it is due to finish, all bids are cancelled and item listing is cancelled by the seller again.

Hmm - once is happenstance, twice is suspicious, thrice is enemy action...

One does wonder...

• RMweb Gold

Definitely suspicious. Perhaps he had a perception that it wouldn't get as much as he'd hoped otherwise I can't imagine why one would want to behave like this.

A definite 'report case' to Ebay if one had any confidence whatsoever that they would do anything.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He seems to have quite a lot of rare stuff for sale :mosking:

Says it sold for 235!! someone was really desperate :jester: Time to pop down Halfords for paint and spray some 37's yellow ;)