Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

As if the wheels aren't schizophrenic enough, apparently this is the Duchess of Sutherland...

I've always said that painting locos in a different colour scheme to that of its native Big4, makes them look odd, i.e. LMS locos painted in Brunswick Green. Here's such a model to prove my point!

Seriously, it looks like a model made up from left over bits, a chassis here, a body from over there.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly he is doomed to disappointment. A collection like that will never sell for anything like its true value in this market. He should have started with a handful of items as individual sales, at least, to test the water. Let's hope his lady's waters can wait a bit!

Hmmm, I'm wary of that lot, a zero feedback Ebayer who's only been a member since 3rd Oct ?

Everyone has to start somewhere. I am far more suspicious with sellers with feedback in the multiple thousands - especially if they don't declare themselves as business sellers.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly he is doomed to disappointment. A collection like that will never sell for anything like its true value in this market. He should have started with a handful of items as individual sales, at least, to test the water. Let's hope his lady's waters can wait a bit!

Agreed. Not only that, he wants collection and payment in cash from whoever is prepared to go to Okehampton to collect that lot........

I would have thought a trader may take an interest in it. There's little risk regarding the feedback issue as one would collect and pay cash so if things didn't look as good as they were (or bits missing!) one could turn it down.

Whilst not the best idea to offer it as one lot, it has been described well.

£1500 maybe?

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought a trader may take an interest in it. There's little risk regarding the feedback issue as one would collect and pay cash so if things didn't look as good as they were (or bits missing!) one could turn it down.

Whilst not the best idea to offer it as one lot, it has been described well.

£1500 maybe?

Your price sounds sensible, Jon, but I think I'd want my biggest mate with me if turning up at a strange address with £1500 in my pocket!
  • Like 4

Everyone has to start somewhere. I am far more suspicious with sellers with feedback in the multiple thousands - especially if they don't declare themselves as business sellers.

Multiple thousands? Sell consistently over a few years and you soon rack those stars up. I'm a private seller (just a buyer these days - too busy to list items) of vinyl and wee trains as the mood takes me and I'm up in the thousands.

Mind you, I like the idea I might be regarded with suspicion - it appeals to my warped and weary worldview!

• Like 1

Something that amazed me:-

Seller 'A' has item (box new SL700BH Peco Flexitrack) on sale at starting bid of £0.99 clearly stating typical new retail was £75 ish.

Seller 'B' had similar item with buy it now for £45.

Time passes, and yes the auction item goes beyond the £45 mark yet seller 'B' item remains unsold - though they are only two lines apart on the search results page.

In case you'd not twigged - Seller B was yours truly - item remains unsold !

Crazy !

Editted for Carp spelling

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you offering to come with me Ian? ;)

Not necessarily. If you want a minder ( and with a known £1500 in your pocket, you really do) you could probably find someone a great deal younger, fitter and more menacing than moi! Mind you, a day out to Okehampton would not be amiss right now....
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Something that amazed me:-

Seller 'A' has item (box new SL700BH Peco Flexitrack) on sale at starting bid of £0.99 clearly stating typical new retail was £75 ish.

Seller 'B' had similar item with buy it now for £45.

Time passes, and yes the auction item goes beyond the £45 mark yet seller 'B' item remains unsold - though they are only two lines apart on the search results page.

I had the fortune to be Seller A in a similar situation the other day. I was rather pleased.

• Like 1

But BIN sales take all the excitement out of an auction.

Or perhaps, like me, the buyers usually search on auction only because all the BIN sales clutter up the search and by their nature rarely result in bargains. (though I did chance on a real gem BIN last week, and promptly snapped it up)

not this seller, but another from china or hong kong, or chinese taipai, or whereever... but i brought a load of lamps, 4 different styles, including yard lamps, about 60 in total, a bucket load of trees, about 400 in different styles and sizes..and about a 1000 figures, painted (ahem) for a bout £100 with free postage, and they were here within a fortnight, and what a healthy sized box it was, packed with goodies

the figures aren't brilliant, a bit garish in colouring, but a wash sorts that out

the trees, though basic, are ideal for bulk planting, a few dabs of hairspry and a roll in in flock....job done

the lights...bargain, cant fault them... or get some of those new ones, that seem to be advertised evrywhere for like £60 for 6

i would rather put out a fire with my face

The painting of Chinese figures leaves a lot to be desired and the moulding isn't up to much, but as cheap carriage fillers etc. are fine, especially if bought unpainted (though 1000 would be a long job. The lights are excellent value though they should be run on around 7-8V to prolong the life of the bulbs which are a bit bright (at least the ones I bought). Be careful not to over run them. I did this by accident while fiddling and the plastic melted! Some of the trees are here along the Tri-ang viaduct. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28222-dublo-layout/ - scroll down to my post of 11/01/11 - ignore the plastic palm trees - these are by McD (though also Chinese)

I've been looking on ebay for some of the old Hornby 'train set, household brand' style wagons for our (mine and the boy) new project - Jif Lemon, Red Arrows, 7-Up etc. As part of my search, I came across this.

Judging by the price of this, and the amount of bidders, I can only assume Hornby sold about 12 of these and sealed the rest, Atari ET-style, in a landfill site....!

• RMweb Premium

Those Christmas wagons were pumped out by Hornby on an annual basis for years, I recall Modelzone discounting them almost to the point of giving them away (the fact that Hornby were so late in getting the factory to produce them some years probably didn't help).

It's worth about a fiver tops!!!

• RMweb Gold

my personal view is that all postage should be included as the starting price and the variable removed from the transaction (including ebay fees).

The postage is effectively in the start price if people look at it ;) if it's declared up front and people ignore it then that's their own fault.

I've built up a record of what things cost by weight and use that to quote postage. But still people mark you down on postage but want it delivered fast and safe! Unless you have heaps of packing material lying around you need to pay for things like tape and wrap which push the price up too. Also if people read the eBay terms on protection you have to use recorded post or they happily refund the money if a dodgy buyer says it hasnt arrived leaving you in a hole.

The fact that if you sell a book the max post they allow is £4 is ridiculous too as any big reference book will cost around double that!

Maybe all they need to do is make the post cost bigger and flashing?

;)