EBay madness

Marcyg

You know, I like laughing at Go$turd as much as anyone, but stumbling across the following just makes me annoyed…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334450971851?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Let’s face it, he ain’t making no donation to the NHS Charities fund from the sale of this!

(Don’t bother telling me that the donation was already made - his sale price is more than double the original. If I come into possession of one of these, I would auction it off and any profit would go to the NHS Charities Fund - as befits an item carrying Sir Tom’s name!)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2022 at 10:31, RailroadRich said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334396819027?hash=item4ddb9a8653:g:sWQAAOSwwKhiUAJf

Probably not the most expensive one either. I do think online TTA wagons are the biggest con/rip-off in the model railway world. 

I picked one up for £3 in my local railway shop at the weekend, complete with ladders & used box! 

You've been had!!

Mike.

• Funny 4

Another one …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304326622919?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jVOV8e3ZTfK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And has more than one available and apparently “new” - which makes the listing even more of a price-gouge…

Mind you, there’s always this…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175145961341?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hx18BvYfTjC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Again, “new”…

Or from our friends ROCKET RAILWAYS …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115367236947?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7njDd0E0TKO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Worse still … “brand new” and “I am selling due to no longer collecting OO gauge” … yeah, right, but you’d like an additional £200 on top of the original price you paid…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324703322454?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=F9jXemKOQqW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not one of these sellers says anything about donating any of their profit from the sale to the NHS Charities Fund, so all basically profiteering.

I don’t mind something rare or limited edition selling at an inflated price, but this is one model which - IMHO - should be used to continue to generate funds for the charities so close to Sir Tom’s heart.

Rant over - I’ll leave this alone now!! 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

On 01/06/2022 at 09:31, RailroadRich said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334396819027?hash=item4ddb9a8653:g:sWQAAOSwwKhiUAJf

Probably not the most expensive one either. I do think online TTA wagons are the biggest con/rip-off in the model railway world. 

I picked one up for £3 in my local railway shop at the weekend, complete with ladders & used box! 

Agreed. I sell them in rakes of 8 for 24-32 quid. That’s total not each lol. 

• Like 5

No links, as I was simply researching as to how much to possibly list items on eBay as it has 70% off sellers fees this weekend (!), but can’t get my head around how exactly the same Bachmann Class 57 in Freightliner livery 57008 can be offered for sale at £65 and at exactly double the price at £130 when both appear to be more or less the same condition? 🤔

Even more of a puzzle is when someone lists a LIMA version of the same at £80, more expensive than a dozen Bachmann offerings! 🤯

I know it is all down to how much you are willing to let them go for… I’d hope to simply recoup what I bought them for (so as not to be out of pocket) but if I list them, say, £10 less than that amount to start with, buyers might think there’s something wrong with them!

After all, who here bought a Bachmann Class 70 for less money than the class number?! 

Steve S

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I know it is all down to how much you are willing to let them go for… I’d hope to simply recoup what I bought them for (so as not to be out of pocket) but if I list them, say, £10 less than that amount to start with, buyers might think there’s something wrong with them!

A lot of ebay auctions are started at 99p.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them, and provided there is reasoanble amount of demand they will reach a fair price (or even higher!) which is what auctions are supposed to do.

The obvious risk of using too low a start price is that it will fair to reach a reasonable price because there may be minimal interest.  So your start price should be at least the minimum you are prepared to let it go for; I stress at least, because you can choose an over optimistic starting price and it fails to sell, you then relist it with a lower price next time.   Ebay run these discounts every few weeks.  But you do have to be prepared to wait for your money, and a lot of sellers are in a rush to raise cash.  This does of course explain why we have so many people pushing their luck with unrealistic prices - on a free listing day all they loes by trying it on is a delay. 

When you are trying to establish the market price for something, ignore all the asking prices, as a lot of listings fail to sell.  Look instead at completed listings, where the item has actually sold; and only look at the auctions, because a buy-it-now can be undervalued by the vendor. 

You can also include the option to consider offers on an auction - people sometimes offer more than the starting price in order to secure an item they really want before a bidding war starts.  You will of course get some silly low offers from dealers, but those can just be ignored.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, at least forty five quid too much for an old Athearn Blue Box loco plus War & Peace description with lots of pretentious nonsense, takes a lifetime to read and comes in a myriad of colours:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304514411140?hash=item46e6792a84:g:89sAAOSwpOximxlb

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Look instead at completed listings, where the item has actually sold; and only look at the auctions, because a buy-it-now can be undervalued by the vendor. 

Now that is good advice, and something I hadn’t considered! Thanks!!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Balgrayhill said:

The charity donation was made at point of sale, what people do with the model afterwards is entirely their own decision.    If they make money from a sale, that's not their fault, its the buyer who chooses to spend that money.  

The principal reason for buying one of this limited edition, as far as I can see, was to benefit the NHS Charities Fund; certainly, if you were to display the model on your mantelpiece or layout, anyone seeing it would assume that you had supported the charity. If, instead, you had bought it from an Ebay on-seller at an inflated price and display it, that would seem to me to be duplicitous.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It certainly wouldn't kill the eBay on-sellers who are doubling the original purchase price to bung the charity £20 as an act of good karma.

Agreed. And if you donate a percentage to charity in the listing you get reduced fees. Sometimes I put the Sir Nigel Gresley trust in and they get a few £ depending how much it goes for.

• Like 4

I think the standard eBay condition description is all thats needed...

Used: An item that has been previously used.

Which is stating the obvious.

and

See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Obviously the seller considers that its free from imperfections!!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes, same seller.  He also has some boxed items with just one picture of the box, for all you know you could be forking out a couple of hundred quid for an empty box...

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Agreed. And if you donate a percentage to charity in the listing you get reduced fees. Sometimes I put the Sir Nigel Gresley trust in and they get a few £ depending how much it goes for.

I only pre-ordered the Hornby Captain Tom because of the 40 pounds to NHS Charities.    When it became apparent that Hornby were about to disappoint because they had oversold, I bought instead from a dealer whom I have used in the past and who had secured half a dozen by Hornby at retail price and who did not wish to profit on them.  I paid the retail price, plus the postage and Paypal fees, total came to around 81 pounds IIRC but I had the satisfaction of knowing that in securing that model for purchasers like myself the dealer had given the 40 pounds to the NHS which I originally intended.  At the time, some private individuals who had been allocated two by Hornby were selling one on for profit which seemed unfair.   Since that episode I sometimes sell on eBay with 10% going to NHS Charities Together and I would never look to sell my Hornby Captain Tom for personal profit.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Yes, same seller.  He also has some boxed items with just one picture of the box, for all you know you could be forking out a couple of hundred quid for an empty box...

It's not just railways that have empty boxes...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-S-60mm-f-2-8-EF-S-USM-Lens-0284B007AA-EMPTY-BOX-ONLY-/224978808635?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 2