EBay madness

Marcyg

Good greif.

Don't Dapol still make that? Must be because it is vintage and boxed. I once met someone who collected vintage kits of all kinds. He had them stacked up all over the house. Hundreds of the things, bored me to death telling me what they were "worth". All I wanted to do was buy his VW for my then girlfriend and get as far away as possible. I feel the same way about people who have dozens of vintage motorcycles and never ride them.

Would you marry a hot Hollywood actress and then sleep on the couch?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I do not think that he is really selling the photo; he is giving out information on how to identify the fake builder's plate. And he goes on to mention other fakes that are showing up in the market.

Seems an odd way to give out the information though as presumably he’s had to pay to list it. And what if somebody actually tries to buy it? The fact that it’s listed as an auction with an end time makes it particularly weird.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It certainly is weird. There are loads of bogus plates and other items about. The automobilia world has been awash with deliberately aged repros for years. Any field where the "Got to have it all no matter the price" brigade invade a hobby you will get fakes and overpriced junk. I'm sure the seller is trying to warn the unwary, but this isn't exactly news.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

And what if somebody actually tries to buy it? The fact that it’s listed as an auction with an end time makes it particularly weird.

Then he sells it to them.  Win Win.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, jchinuk said:

Apologies for not being a railway related item, but I think this takes eBay madness to another level. 

Selling an empty box...

jh

Far from unheard of - collectors love things to be in original boxes. SO if someone has a decent box but no content (or wants to use the content for its original use!) they may find someone who needs a box.

Having said that, some people try and fool people into thinking they are buying the full product (when a new xbox is released is a good time to see this - the number of xbox box adverts you see is quite high!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I do not think that he is really selling the photo; he is giving out information on how to identify the fake builder's plate. And he goes on to mention other fakes that are showing up in the market.

Out of interest I contacted the seller. It is the photo that is for sale!! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jchinuk said:

Apologies for not being a railway related item, but I think this takes eBay madness to another level. 

Selling an empty box...

jh

Our local undertaker has been selling empty boxes for years. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, rab said:

Don't buy it unless the seller has put the word RARE!! in the title.... Then it's obviously worth millions.

• Funny 3

On 29/02/2020 at 10:39, pH said:

Looking at just the starting bid, what would you think this was an auction for? The seller has 100% feedback on a reasonable number of items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-OF-FAKE-REPRO-NORTH-BRITISH-WORKS-PLATE-/133347724518

On 29/02/2020 at 10:44, J. S. Bach said:

I wrote to the seller, asking 'Is this auction for the fake worksplate or for just a photograph of the fake worksplate?'.

The reply was 'The photograph as stated. The listing is intended to help the less experienced collector in the E-Bay community from falling foul of unscrupulous sellers.'.

IMHO, expensive advice, unless the seller is not expecting any bids.

(Edit - apologies to all of those who added to this discussion above. I somehow went straight to the end of the topic without seeing the many comments which make this post superfluous!)

Edited by pH
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rab said:

That’s what it says in the description, happens lots of times when people don’t read the listing correctly and they are not best pleased upon receipt of just a photo...... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jchinuk said:

Selling an empty box...

jh

I've sold an empty box before now (for a Corgi Lynx Helicopter that I fitted to a display stand as part of a leaving present).

Buyer happy, me happy, kept it out of landfill :)

(My mate at work bought Meat Pie, Chips and Peas off Ebay once, as a joke bid for a fiver.  I asked what it tasted like - he cooked it and said it looked fine, but didn't actually eat it "just in case".  Obviously they're not all locked up...

• Funny 4

I have seen quite a few empty boxes for locos, coaches and wagons on eBay, such as a Hornby Dean Goods box for £25. I was just thinking that if I sell the box from mine, the loco owes me £12...

It's nice to have locomotives in their boxes though, if only to keep the dust off. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it about as much fun as defusing a landmine getting them in or out of the packaging!

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, jchinuk said:

Selling an empty box...

jh

It's the postage that many US sellers expect you to pay for international postage. Plus the Global Shipping Program is a total rip-off. At least 50% more than paying VAT+any duty+ RM £8 handling charge.

FWIW, I regularly buy from two sellers in the US, Dave's Decals and Express Hobby and they both charge a flat rate of $3 for international. Though it often works out cheaper to buy each item individually to avoid paying VAT.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, JZ said:

It's the postage that many US sellers expect you to pay for international postage. Plus the Global Shipping Program is a total rip-off. At least 50% more than paying VAT+any duty+ RM £8 handling charge.

FWIW, I regularly buy from two sellers in the US, Dave's Decals and Express Hobby and they both charge a flat rate of $3 for international. Though it often works out cheaper to buy each item individually to avoid paying VAT.

To send the empty box to me in Spain would cost an eye watering $83.85, an ebay GSP bargain!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JZ said:

I see this lot has now dropped to £38,000 from it's original price of £170,000.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massive-Collection-1000-Engines-4000-wagons-coaches-3500-cars-inc-Dinky/293175136978

It looks like a lot of it has already been sold as it states there are 500+ Locos “left”.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

It looks like a lot of it has already been sold as it states there are 500+ Locos “left”.......

The prices for a lot of the locos are eye watering - who in their right mind can put the words Hornby, 58, unboxed, £75, in the same sentence!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ba14eagle said:

The prices for a lot of the locos are eye watering - who in their right mind can put the words Hornby, 58, unboxed, £75, in the same sentence!!

Well this is the "ebay madness" thread ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This bunch of broken locos has been listed many times at the same price. Not sure whether starting the description with the word 'New' is very accurate considering the large chunks of plastic missing from some locos

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-G-gauge-locomotives-Lot/223932462838?hash=item34236a36f6:g:SosAAOSwcJVeKGh0

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

This bunch of broken locos has been listed many times at the same price. Not sure whether starting the description with the word 'New' is very accurate considering the large chunks of plastic missing from some locos

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-G-gauge-locomotives-Lot/223932462838?hash=item34236a36f6:g:SosAAOSwcJVeKGh0

The final line "You will hardly see a lot like this come up so" is so true! :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Well this is the "ebay madness" thread ;)

Well as discussed above, empty boxes are available. ;)

6 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

Quantity over quality. Eventually the whole lot will be cherry picked but doubtless someone will still want the price of a new car for it.

• Like 1