Magwatch - Hornby Magazine #31 January 2010

spamcan61

• RMweb Premium

Subs. copy arrived today:-

News - 5 pages of mostly Warley related announcements

Melcombe Magna - Mike Baker describes his O gauge late 50s S&D BLT with narrow gauge - 10 pages

Cattle Dock - James Lavery describes construction thereof - 6 pages

Swanage Goods Shed - Steve Jones scratchbuilds a model in OO - 4 pages

Cleckheaton Central - layout plan by Evan Green-Hughes - 3 pages

Clayton Chassis replacement - Paul Marshall-Potter shows how to fit the new chassis / do Heljan's QA for them - 2 pages

LMS CCT - Phil Parker builds the Parkside OO kit - 3 pages

2 pages of letters

Walford Town - Richard Harper describes this EM layout set in 1980s East London - 8 pages

Reviews - Bachmann 4 CEP and 3MT plus other recent stuff - 24 pages

Reality check -Evan Green-Hughes writes about the 1:1 scale 3MT - 4 pages

Brockley Green S.E.4 - John Wass describes his EM gauge Southern Region transition era layout - 8 pages

How to install 3rd rail in OO - Mike Wild shows you how - 2 pages

2-BIL for Bay Street -Mike Wild builds a Kirk kit - 2 pages

Reader projects - 2 pages

Railway Realism - 3rd rail electrics at 1:1 scale by Evan Green-Hughes - 4 pages

I think that's about it for content unless I've missed something lurking in between the adverts!

• RMweb Premium

The modeling content and quality of its production is always top rate. l think this months edition is exceptional.

The grade of paper used and the method of binding also contribute to its overall image.

There certainly seems to be a focus this month on big, high impact photos, particularly in the layout articles, and the result is certainly impressive. I'm wondering if this is a move to differentiate themselves from the other magazines, where the photos often playn second fiddle to the text - that's an observation not an accusation, for the avoidance of doubt. Reminds me of the early days of BRM when their use of pretty much 100% colour photography and big photos made RM look very staid.

• RMweb Premium

oooohhh having read it properly now there's a two page article on the real Javelins nestling in the middle of the review section, and - for subscribers at least, not sure about shop copies - a 2010 year per page calendar with a different A4 landscape photo of one of 2009's top layouts for each month.

• RMweb Premium

oooohhh having read it properly now there's a two page article on the real Javelins nestling in the middle of the review section, and - for subscribers at least, not sure about shop copies - a 2010 year per page calendar with a different A4 landscape photo of one of 2009's top layouts for each month.

Bought my copy in local branch of Smiffs today, the calendar was included.

• RMweb Premium

Good edition - is it me or has the layout/format changed slightly? Looks better somehow!

I haven't done a side by side comparison with an earlier edition but yes, it did look a bit different, plus the seemingly bigger layout photos I mentioned above.

• RMweb Gold

Good edition - is it me or has the layout/format changed slightly? Looks better somehow!

Hi Chris

I understand a new designer is on board as part of the team so there will be some tweaks, but more a case of evolution rather than revolution.

I don't often buy HM but did this month. It seems to have shifted away from the toy train end of the market since the last time I bought it. I liked the layout features on Walford Town and Brockley Green - excellent photos in both. Also a handy piece on the Standard 3 tank.

The prototype article on SR EMUs is let down a bit by some rather wayward information in the table of dates. 6-PUL stock (originally called 6-COR) was introduced for the Brighton electrification in 1933 so the sets were built rather earlier than the 1936 date given. Similarly, 6-PAN stock was for the 1935 Eastbourne/Hastings electrification (not 1936). BR Standard 2-EPBs pre-dated the SR 2-EPB by several years. Dates given for the SR 2-HAP and SR 2-EBP are way too early in the 1950s. The SR 2-EPBs were the last 'Bulleid' EMUs not 2-HAPs, and were referred to early on as 2-NOP (not sure whether this was ever official though). BR Standard 4-EPBs were more like 1960 than 1957. The table omits 4-RES completely. 2-SAP given as 1957 (no - 1969 temporarily then 1974 for downgraded BR 2-HAP and 1976 for downgraded SR 2-HAP). The first second-generation 4-SUBs appeared before 1948, though most were built after nationalisation.

As it's in one of those irritating plastic bags I haven't been able to browse so not purchased.

steve

I agree, those plastic bags are very irritating! But I think we can forgive HM this month, as the bag is present due to the inclusion of the free 2010 calendar.

The calendar is rather fab - and it's worth the cost of the mag in itself - even with the lack of representation of diesels, for those of us who are fans of such things.

These days, I don't usually buy mags wrapped in bags, as I've too often been dissapointed with the content of the mag!

I agree that HM is looking great. I used to buy MRJ, with an occasional purchase of Railway Modeller, or BRM - but these days I seem to go for HM every month! Its' content just seems to be so good - high quality layouts, great photos, and interesting text.

Well done Mike Wild!

Marc :D

• RMweb Premium

Another good issue - as ever, it gives a lot of food for thought.

Nice calendar as well - I see that Graham M's layout is featured, as well it should be.

But then HM is almost the RMWeb member's journal anyway with so many of the regular contributors being members on here.

I have always enjoyed the layout and paper quilaty of HM but without trying upset anyone I find myself loosing interest not only in HM but all of the "big four mags" seem to focus on steam era layouts, anyone coming into the hobby for the first time must be completly confused about the whole hobby, what we need is one of the big four to break away into more D&E layouts

Strange you say that, a friend of mine is giving up his subscription to Model Rail because it's got too much D&E stuff in it.

Odd :huh: My impression is that 'Model Rail' has been getting steamier, while 'Hornby mag' has been increasing it's D&E content of late.

G.

As it's in one of those irritating plastic bags I haven't been able to browse so not purchased.

steve

This is one of the never ending cyclical issues about mags, every time it's in a bag some won't buy it, every time something that should be in it but isn't because it's not bagged gets flagged up too.

If it's in a bag and you want to know what's in it ask the shop if they'll open one for inspection.

I'm trying to steer such topics away from repetition of something that's a publisher's decision at the end of the day; it would be better placed in a specific topic about bagging (although we've been there before) rather than duplicated each time an issue arises.

• RMweb Gold

when is the Feb edition due out?

I made the mistake of using the calendar to tell me when the next issue is out. It said January 8th (being the second Friday in the month), but when I couldnt find it in the shops I checked the previous issue (january 2010) and it said Friday 15th. Must be something to do with the new year holiday.

Archived