Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

How to get lynched at a expo EM rather than a normal show ,,,,,,

1,,, Get hold of a triang loco with the black sintered wheels

2... Connect up the X04 to the controller

3....Turn it up side down stick a file on flanges to reduce them a bit

4 ....take to a Expo EM and ask if you can run your loco on a layout

5.....when it runs because the steam roller wheels despite being to 00 size are so fat they reach the wider rails

Best get out of there !

Tri-ang Your rails might be to close but the out side width is right !

• Like 1

How to get lynched at a expo EM rather than a normal show ,,,,,,

1,,, Get hold of a triang loco with the black sintered wheels

2... Connect up the X04 to the controller

3....Turn it up side down stick a file on flanges to reduce them a bit

4 ....take to a Expo EM and ask if you can run your loco on a layout

5.....when it runs because the steam roller wheels despite being to 00 size are so fat they reach the wider rails

Best get out of there !

Tri-ang Your rails might be to close but the out side width is right !

For Gods sake Graham don't ever do this at a ScaleFour exhibition!! :jester:  :triniti:  :butcher:

But I thought that was the whole point of this thread !

But Graham they wont just string you up they'll do all sorts of horrible things to you first.It'll be horrible for you, don't do it please!

Honestly it'll be far better for you to follow up Horsetans suggestion and get Martin Goodall to do it instead. :jester:

Restaurants (especially in London) tend to refer to gravy as "jus".

Pretentious tw*ts.

It's not being pretentious... It's the difference between French and British cooking.

Jus and gravy are not the same thing -  In its simplest form, jus is simply the pan-drippings from the roasted meat. In practice, the jus is enhanced by deglazing the pan with stock and then simmering the liquid with mirepoix before straining and serving. But the jus is unthickened, which is what distinguishes it from a pan gravy.

Mind you (to return to the topic of the thread), you could certainly make yourself deeply unpopular with the organisers when - after being served with the "food" being given to exhibitors - say in a loud voice "flaming Ada, they could do with one of those Masterchef rejects to improve this swill"

iD

p.s. I know of what I speak. I helped with a layout at a mjor exhibition a year ago and the lunchtime offering for exhibitors was at best (and to be extremely charitable), very low quality industrial catering. Ironically, the food available to visitors at the various outlets at the exhibition hall was really quite good

" they'll do all sorts of horrible things to you first".

Probably involving a soldering iron, a scalpel, a 12" scale steel ruler and a track gauge (the cylindrical roll along variety), plus other model makers tools the great unwashed OO modeller doesn't know about.

It's not being pretentious... It's the difference between French and British cooking.

Jus and gravy are not the same thing -  In its simplest form, jus is simply the pan-drippings from the roasted meat. In practice, the jus is enhanced by deglazing the pan with stock and then simmering the liquid with mirepoix before straining and serving. But the jus is unthickened, which is what distinguishes it from a pan gravy.

Ah Dottore, you bring us French cuisine, at last a note of sophistication brought to this thread.

You are quite correct what is commonly served at Northern shows is what you term thickened pan gravy and under no circumstances would "Jus" be served.However in Yorkshire the liquid is often simmered not with "mirepoix" but instead simmered with "mire pox" which accounts for it's distinctive taste.Once experienced never to be forgotten or hopefully ever experienced  again. :jester:

PS.The spellcheck suggestion for "mirepoix" is "firebox" which probably accounts for some of the burnt offerings also available at shows.

Ah Dottore, you bring us French cuisine, at last a note of sophistication brought to this thread.

You are quite correct what is commonly served at Northern shows is what you term thickened pan gravy and under no circumstances would "Jus" be served.However in Yorkshire the liquid is often simmered not with "mirepoix" but instead simmered with "mire pox" which accounts for it's distinctive taste.Once experienced never to be forgotten or hopefully ever experienced  again. :jester:

PS.The spellcheck suggestion for "mirepoix" is "firebox" which probably accounts for some of the burnt offerings also available at shows.

You beat me to it - I was going to say I would not be putting anything called 'Mire Pox' in my mouth !!!

...and as a member of the said Society, I will probably be filming the whole thing on a mobile phone.  :butcher:

Probably involving a soldering iron, a scalpel, a 12" scale steel ruler and a track gauge (the cylindrical roll along variety), plus other model makers tools the great unwashed OO modeller doesn't know about.

You see what I mean Graham the scalefour lot have their standards and quite rightly enforce them rigorously and ruthlessly.Never mess with them thats my advice.

PS Jol.  A little harsh I felt on the unwashed OO modeller, some of us do have all the afore mentioned instruments of torture and some of us even know how to use em.Why you've only to look at my avatar to see my workbench and me wielding my Fine scale OO hammer. :jester:

Edited by iainp

I think it was Rochdale show that used to serve pie and peas along with the other necessary additives, mint sauce and pickled onions.

This, I strongly believe, was where the expression 'The Pies Have Arrived' originated.

• RMweb Premium

You see what I mean Graham the scalefour lot have their standards and quite rightly enforce them rigourously and ruthlessly.Never mess with them thats my advice.

PS Jol.  A little harsh I felt on the unwashed OO modeller, some of us do have all the afore mentioned instruments of torture and some of us even know how to use em. :jester:

I agree with Iain, but would like to add some of us 00 modellers use them and make things not just buy them because they have been mentioned in MRJ or the "snooze".

• RMweb Premium

True story

When asked by the DEMU Membership Secretary (at the DEMU Showcase) if my friend wanted to join the society, his answer was "I'm not into chicken slaying". (Referring to one or two "goth" attired persons behind the desk).

In their minds, I'm sure a human sacrifice of my mate would be more appropriate than a lynching...........................

Cheers,

Mick

You see what I mean Graham the scalefour lot have their standards and quite rightly enforce them rigorously and ruthlessly.Never mess with them thats my advice.

PS Jol.  A little harsh I felt on the unwashed OO modeller, some of us do have all the afore mentioned instruments of torture and some of us even know how to use em.Why you've only to look at my avatar to see my workbench and me wielding my Fine scale OO hammer. :jester:

I agree with Iain, but would like to add some of us 00 modellers use them and make things not just buy them because they have been mentioned in MRJ or the "snooze".

Gentlemen,

I was referring to the "unwashed" variety of OO modeller, I hadn't realised you had both given up soap and water.

Besides, I though someone would like a feed line to have a go at EM/P4 modellers, I don't recall seeing one for an hour or two. You both reacted in the usual way but I won't take it personally.

Jol

• Like 1

But Graham they wont just string you up they'll do all sorts of horrible things to you first.It'll be horrible for you, don't do it please!

Honestly it'll be far better for you to follow up Horsetans suggestion and get Martin Goodall to do it instead. :jester:

Are you sure your not just a secret EM person and don't want the world to know that years ago tri-ang had it right about how far apart the outer faces of you wheels need to be,

I still await some one to point how many point zero zero nano millimetres wrong I am

You can if you want ,,,go on I am bateing you......because I don't care I have a old L1 which to upset you with ,

so long as you don't have any points

PPS I need to stop here it's about getting lynched at shows not forums

Edited by Graham456

Honestly it'll be far better for you to follow up Horsetans suggestion and get Martin Goodall to do it instead. :jester:

Actually, they prevent you voting as an overseas member, or publishing in the Snooze. And that's on record.

Edited by Andy Reichert

I think it was Rochdale show that used to serve pie and peas along with the other necessary additives, mint sauce and pickled onions.

This, I strongly believe, was where the expression 'The Pies Have Arrived' originated.

Wasn't there an occasion at Batley Variety Club when a performance by Diana Ross and the Supremes was interrupted by the announcement: "Pies 'as come" ?

Are you sure your not just a secret EM person and don't want the world to know that years ago tri-ang had it right about how far apart the outer faces of you wheels need to be,

I still await some one to point how many point zero zero nano millimetres wrong I am

You can if you want ,,,go on I am bateing you......because I don't care I have a old L1 which to upset you with ,

so long as you don't have any points

PPS I need to stop here it's about getting lynched at shows not forums

Sorry Graham I'm not a secret EM person I'm quite open about my OO modelling I came out about it years ago.However it has to be admitted that I do have a sneaking respect for what the EM P4 SCALEFOUR modellers do.Awe inspiring stuff most of it.Of course that doesn't stop me poking fun at them when I get the chance.A little bit of gentle rib poking never did any harm.Well hardly ever did any harm.

I suspect you may not have read the Model Railway Journal 234 thread yet,if you do you might see why your original posting prompted me to post my original response.

In a nut shell some one's advocated running EM wheels on P4 track and it's caused a teensy weeny bit of controversy as you can well imagine.So you can see how your demonstration of OO wheels on EM track appealed to my admittedly warped sense of humour as a means of getting some cheap laughs at the expense of our laudable finerscale brethren.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In a nut shell some one's advocated running EM wheels on P4 track and it's caused a teensy weeny bit of controversy as you can well imagine.

Actually, I think this is a fairly accurate graphic representation of the level of emotion that article's caused... 

post-16840-0-90456900-1415828936_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's Knaresborough castle and viaduct brilliantly modelled is it yours White Rabbit? Lovely modelling.

Edit:Thanks for this posting White Rabbit.Peter Goss's latest model, I should have known, if you ask me he's surpassed even his sublime architectural modelling standards this time.I lived in Knaresborough for many years and I can tell you his castle is just so accurately modelled.

Edited by iainp