Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Good point as the fuel is neither petrol or diesel. The Glo Plug needs power on start up and then glows on its own. Unique to minature aero engines and being two stroke, a lot more power from small cc.

No mention of brakes on the model so fitted though. Does it have any?

Glo Plug engines are also used on R/C 'nitro' cars

there is often a brake disk fitted somewhere in the transmission on the rc car, larger scale ones such as 1/8th may have a central brake and also one as part of the differential, some have disk brakes on the wheels.

Glo Plug engines are also used on R/C 'nitro' cars

there is often a brake disk fitted somewhere in the transmission on the rc car, larger scale ones such as 1/8th may have a central brake and also one as part of the differential, some have disk brakes on the wheels.

With you on this. I think it fair to say that any model with a direct drive between motor and drive shaft, be it road or rail we are on, will slow if you shut the throttle. This here model that has been alluded to on this thread is a G gauge full blown Glo plug engine driven generator and electric motors on the wheels. If, as I have seen at our local club, one could tow a trolley of passengers behind this behemoth, how does one stop it in the evnt of emergency or to allow passengers on and off in any degree of safety?

I know a steamer in neutral cut off won't move far but a diesel electric, even with a worm and spur?

I remember something on the telly a while back, some years or so, about homemade Christmas presents. One of the more creative concepts was a Gauge one model that ran on... a garden hose, yes not track of any kind but a garden hose. Needless to say it wasn't for the serious minded, but as a concept it makes fantastic sense, rather than investing in track packs and going miles out of town for a few bob you can have miles and miles of running space. That wasn't the most revolutionary feature, the direction of the engine was changed by depressing the hose in front of it. I haven't the fogiest how it was ment to handle points or shunting, but I would personal pay vast sums to visit an exhibition and watch people try it.

Wrong! It is not a petrol engine, its is a glo/nitro engine. It has no spark, and relies on compression assisted by a glow plug to fire, so calling it 'petrol electric' is in fact much much more inaccurate than calling it 'live diesel' !!!!

Hence me using apostrophes - I was indicating its not a diesel engine. Your average person on the street only knows 2 types of fuel - petrol and diesel.

My book on Diesel engines, would call this a "semi-diesel". As regards brakes: It's a gauge 1 model. Not a 3 1/2" model. Heck, 2/3rds of my 3 1/2" locos don't have brakes, and the 1 that does the brakes have to be augmented with the "foot" brake if you need to stop in a hurry. (like say, if the traverser is out in front of you).

When the engine is throttled down, the loco will slow down due to it being a electric drive. (the motors are now trying to turn the generator/engine faster than it wants to go). I'd assume that at low RPM, there is insufficent generated voltage to move the motors, & that's the end of it.

I'd suspect that it would have grave difficulty pulling a wagon full of people. The bugaboo here is going to be adhesive weight, you need a loco that weighs around 20 lb/person to pull on an average track. (Tich @22 lb, will pull around 250 lb behind it). The BR 52 review that I read way back in 1986 said it would pull around 55 kg, and that's a fairly hefty gauge 1 loco. Again, possible, but unlikely. I would suspect that the electric losses are fairly high, and that the loco is designed to slow down by the engine slowing down. Note that it is fairly common to run gauge 1 locos without any controls (free running) on tracks, so the concern isn't that high. (I've done it with a Britannia in 3 1/2", and that gets strange looks...)

James

• RMweb Gold

Getting back on topic...

Take your nitro/oil fired/ diesel powered/ whatever loco with its ride on carriages and elevated track to an exhibition, fill said carriages with children, then as the train pulls away announce proudly to the waiting parents that the loco has the power to weight ratio of a Ferrari F40, but no brakes...

• Like 5

May I enquire as to who built this layout?......

why?.....

just so I know as to not look out for their work in the future....

Not in a model railway exhibition context, but I've pretty much witnessed that one- When I used to work in libraries, one of the branches I worked in also housed an art gallery, which was only separated from the neighbouring department of the library by a glass screen, so even when it was closed, customers could still see what was happening in there

We had one regular customer who fancied herself as a bit of an amateur Brian Sewell, and liked to give very blunt appraisals of the exhibitions to the staff- and anyone else who happened to pass by, whether they wanted them or not....

One morning she was watching through the glass as the next exhibition was being hung (modern abstract painting, a pet hate of hers), and she loudly commented to a passing customer, something like: 'I don't know who this idiot is, but they can't paint for toffee. It's about time they let someone with some talent show here instead. At least I won't need to waste my time coming in to look at this load of old rubbish now'.

Trouble is, the chap passing by wasn't a customer- he was the artist's husband....

Edited by Invicta

A couple of views as an exhibitor for the weekend......

Having a DCC sound layout with all the volumes set to max - especially if 0 gauge.

Having a layout with working block bells.

Oh yes....I've had that experience on one of my occasional appearances helping out as an operator at exhibitions- We once had a diesel TMD layout with lots of DCC sound locos, mostly 'turned up to 11', immediately back-to-back behind us at a show- I swear I could hear Class 20s in my sleep that night....

Funnily enough, one of the layouts I've helped out with in the past experimented with working block bells a few years back. IIRC, we debuted them at a 2-day show, and for some strange reason, I don't think we ever used them again after that... :butcher:

Edited by Invicta

• RMweb Premium

block bells: didn't one of the early P4/S4 layouts run with block bells? opening the boxes every morning with 3-3-3 all round? and the comment "I can hear the bells ringing but I can;t see an trains running".

Guest Natalie Graham

That would have been Heckmondwike in the late 70s.

They ran a true to time timetable at a couple of shows too, with full length, real time, gaps between trains. At Manchester you couldn't get near it for the people four deep waiting for the next train to appear.

Edited by Natalie Graham

They ran a true to time timetable at a couple of shows too, with full length, real time, gaps between trains. At Manchester you couldn't get near it for the people four deep waiting for the next train to appear.

Must've been a slow day :jester:

Almost: - at one show a trader had a lot of EFE buses displayed with a sign reading "OO Gauge Buses - £xx each, 2 for £yy"

One smart alec did ask him how easy it would be to convert them to EM... :senile:

Perhaps he was being ironic? Rather like the viewer who, when proudly told that the layout he was looking at was "OO scale" said "that'll be less than 4mm to the foot, then".

Jol

HI All

You could rip the valve gear of a Princess and a black5 and paint them in GWR and call them a King and a Castle, that would make me smile, cant say that for everyone.

Regards Arran

As a GWR enthusiast, I like this idea, however, being also an enthusiast of Stanier locomotives of the LMS, I somehow find myself at odd with the idea, it's just too much to contemplate, I don't think it would be worth a "Lynching" though, but it would demonstrate just how much Stanier was inspired by the GWR whilst employed at the Swindon works, if Collett hadn't been chosen to succeed Churchwood, Stanier might have taken the GWR into a whole new direction.

Dead easy this one, just put a show on with absolutely no diesel/electric content whatsoever and watch the b*gg*rs moan.

Now that is the type of exhibition I would happily visit without any real problem, I'm not against modern image, it's just that I prefer steam heritage based layouts. ^_^ :D

• RMweb Gold

Nobody agree with this - knowing Stu he'll build it if he gets so much as a nod and a wink :O (in fact he'll probably build three)

Today, I have been mostly buying a suitable rucksack... :onthequiet:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm on a day trip to Glasgow Ex in the next couple of days - maybe wearing a tee-shirt exclaiming "The Scots are rubbish at rugby!" wouldn't be a good idea........... :triniti:

Cheers,

Mick

Well the Irish team today did not wear T shirts like that, but the result says it all!! :sungum:

Of course, there is always the option of a Lego layout [touted as finescale!] :sarcastic:

Sorry... but no... just no! Lego is a toy, an argument I've heard people put forward about railway modelling, which in truth, to me in my honest opinion is a whole lot more and a whole world of difference than just being a toy.

Sorry... but no... just no! Lego is a toy, an argument I've heard people put forward about railway modelling, which in truth, to me in my honest opinion is a whole lot more and a whole world of difference than just being a toy.

I didn't realise that this was a serious thread. :)

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2

There was a couple of loco paint schemes I saw today at Basingstoke that could of raised a few hackles, an unrebuilt Battle of Britain in South West trains colour scheme and an A4 in Virgin colours :O and they definitely didn't look good in them

Colin

• Like 2