Hornby Push Pull Set R4534

Jim104

The actual Roco couplings give a better close up of the gap betwen the coaches than Hornbys slightly longer version, although on a Peco small Y the M7 will derail if a pair of Roco couplings are used, on the end of the push pull and the M7 - one needs to be a Hornby one. Noticed that the review in Model Rail refers to a 4 wheel van being sometimes used - how was this arranged, between the push pull and the loco or hauled on the end depending to the direction of travel?

• RMweb Gold

Air-control vans. These were first introduced in the early '20s, with eventually 10 6-wheel vans to work with Marsh Balloon stock on the former Brighton section routes where luggage space was found to be at a premium on certain services. These had all gone by 1940, and a mere 5 were created from SECR utility 4-wheel vans, which survived in this form until 1962, when the kit was transferred to 5 plywood-bodied replacements. As you surmise, they could work between loco and set, or be hauled, as could any other fitted vehicle in the normal fashion, presumably.

My ref is Mike King's book Southern Pull-Push Stock, OPC.

The actual Roco couplings give a better close up of the gap betwen the coaches than Hornbys slightly longer version, although on a Peco small Y the M7 will derail if a pair of Roco couplings are used, on the end of the push pull and the M7 - one needs to be a Hornby one. Noticed that the review in Model Rail refers to a 4 wheel van being sometimes used - how was this arranged, between the push pull and the loco or hauled on the end depending to the direction of travel?

I have used my prefered Fleischmann Profi coupler between the 2 coaches [with corridor end boards removed] and also between the SO and the M7 but with the coupling not pushed fully home on the M7 using a dab of 'tacky wax' on the coupling' fishtail to keep it in the correct position. I've had no running problems but I do have a test track set up with 450mm radius reverse curves to test stock and my various coupling methods before use.

• RMweb Gold

I have used my prefered Fleischmann Profi coupler between the 2 coaches [with corridor end boards removed] and also between the SO and the M7 but with the coupling not pushed fully home on the M7 using a dab of 'tacky wax' on the coupling' fishtail to keep it in the correct position. I've had no running problems but I do have a test track set up with 450mm radius reverse curves to test stock and my various coupling methods before use.

I have done the same on my push pull set and M7. Worked very well on the layout last weekend.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the set M7 it is should be possible to easilly remove the dog tags as the smokebox door and front panel can be forced apart by a good tap from inside as I have done it on an earlier short framed release in order to replicate Bournemouths 30040. The handrail is not continuous and its joined on the sides of the smokebox so I ended up with three loose parts - the smokebox front with the curved section of handrail attached it , the smokebox door and the what looked like a plastic lamp iron from where it came from I could not identify. If you are lucky maybe the door alone will come off from which the dog tags can be trimmed, filed, wet and dried away.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know Modelzone in Holborn at least has just had a few R4534 sets into stock - obviously at RRP but use one of the 10% vouchers on the back of the pamphlet in any store valid until 4 Sept and you get £10 off = £67.50. Given that when Hattons had them they were £64 if you include postage (plus the fact that they are generally sold out everywhere) and that seems very reasonable if you don't want to wait until December and/or want the currently numbered version.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the right place to post, but the 'unconverted' (sic) Open thirds were originally due '13 September' according to some sources. Now hattons showing Sept/Oct, and Modelrailways direct showing a precise 22/11/12.

Anyone have any other gen. Am looking forward to this one, and for some reason the wait is difficut!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

According to Hattons R4534B, the fourth Maunsell Pull-Push, if you include the train pack, is due on or after Monday 24 February 2014. No sign of R4534A the third one. I have pre-ordered both but the delivery date has been put back so many times I am wondering if they will ever arrive.

I am annoyed with myself because I was attending an exhibition at Shoreham in July 2012 Morris of Lancing had one at their shop when the first one, R4534, came out. I could have bought it then. I was planning to buy it when I returned to my home at Swanage but Hattons had sold out and the Swanage Railway Shop did not have a delivery. Then Hornby said they would release R4534A in Autumn 2012 so I pre-ordered one from Rails. When it did not appear the Swanage Station shop still had the train pack. I went down to buy one but someone beat me to it. Then Hornby delivered some of R4534 to Platform Models, a local shop, but I did not find out until they had sold out.

Since then no end of delivery dates have appeared and gone. I am glad I built a BSL Maunsell Pull-Push and some kind people have run their Maunsell Pull Push sets on my Swanage Railway layout.

Edited by Robin Brasher

• RMweb Gold

R4536x models are actually the bogie passenger brake vans, not the push-pull sets which are R4534x.  You can pre-order R4534A for £60, R4534B for £62 and R4534C for £69.50 at Hatton's.  Strange pricing.

Edited by RFS

R4536x models are actually the bogie passenger brake vans, not the push-pull sets which are R4534x.  You can pre-order R4534A for £60, R4534B for £62 and R4534C for £69.50 at Hatton's.  Strange pricing.

Thank you, sorry for the error. I have edited my post. I would have expected that the demand for the fifth Maunsell Pull Push sets would have been lower than the others so the price would be lower. Volunteers on the Swanage Railway called them Maunsell Push Pulls before Hornby called them Pull Push sets. We repainted the sides of SR Maunsell third class open coach no 1381 and the Swanage Railway is hoping to restore that and driving brake composite coach 6699 as a Pull Push.

Edited by Robin Brasher

• RMweb Gold

Volunteers on the Swanage Railway called them Maunsell Push Pulls before Hornby called them Pull Push sets. We repainted the sides of SR Maunsell third class open coach no 1381 and the Swanage Railway is hoping to restore that and driving brake composite coach 6699 as a Pull Push although Health and Safety regulations would not allow us to drive the train from driving brake coach.

The Southern Railway called them Pull-Push, so although these sets post-date that Company by 11 years, Pull-Push still sounds more appropriate than Push-Pull.

Could you please elucidate on the H&S issue. I was under the distinct impression that the Railway Inspectorate decided operational matters.

• RMweb Premium

I find it extraordinary that these are now up to a 'C' variant and have been in existence for about three years now yet despite the fact I have cash waiting to buy one, I have never ever managed to actually see one in the flesh, for sale or otherwise!!!

• RMweb Gold

I find it extraordinary that these are now up to a 'C' variant and have been in existence for about three years now yet despite the fact I have cash waiting to buy one, I have never ever managed to actually see one in the flesh, for sale or otherwise!!!

I don't think the A, B or C versions actually exist yet.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I think it tells us that Hornby see these as selling like hot cakes - if they can get them made. As BR only had 20 of them, then 4 different set numbers sounds a bit much - but we don't know how many are being made  per number. I also think the set-with-loco numbers are not being reproduced as coach packs. Mine is 600, and ISTR the R4354 was 610, so probably we are looking at 5 or even more set numbers. Some pull-push empire that would enable!

Thank you, sorry for the error. I have edited my post. I would have expected that the demand for the fifth Maunsell Pull Push sets would have been lower than the others so the price would be lower.

Basically reflects Hornbys pricing, R4534A was to have been released in late 2012, and R4534B in 2013 but are both still awaited along with 2014s R4534C and the prices are largely not updated.

We repainted the sides of SR Maunsell third class open coach 1381 and the Swanage Railway is hoping to restore that and driving brake composite coach 6699 as a Pull Push although Health and Safety regulations would not allow us to drive the train from driving brake coach.

So they allow the ex. GWR push pulls to work with their rod control system, but the much safer ex. SR compressed air system isn't allowed?

I have looked at the Swanage Railway website and a detailed submission was made to the Council of Management to restore driving trailer coach 6699 and open third 1323 to form Pull Push set 619 at a cost of £250,000 including the fitting of control gear. It looks as if the intention is to restore it so it can be driven from the driving trailer. The preserved GWR auto coaches would provide a precedent. The driving trailer coach and an open third were cosmetically restored for a photographic charter on the Swanage Railway in 1992.

• RMweb Gold

I have edited my post. I would have expected that the demand for the fifth Maunsell Pull Push sets would have been lower than the others so the price would be lower. 

Hornby are clearly pursuing policies aimed at limiting retail discounting and matching production to demand is a big part of that.

If they judged that it would be low enough to force the price down, they wouldn't bother making a FIFTH version of anything.

The announcement of a new product is no guarantee that it will definitely be made.

John