The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Leap Day

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Some people always manage to have a half-empty glass! Just lie around tomorrow, chaps, and maybe Miss World will turn up and make you an offer you can't refuse. Ok, so disappointment awaits most of us - but one day of hope in 4 years? Better than nothing, surely!

• RMweb Premium

"and maybe Miss World will turn up and make you an offer you can't refuse".

Tomorrow I shall be mainly waiting for a large number of good looking women (preferably) to ask for my hand.

In June I shall be taking 14 extra days for the first time since 2007!

Enjoy tomorrow and take a leap.

Sincerely, Ivanohope.

P.S. With the 'other' hand I shall be fettling a coach chassis (4mm).

We get an extra day tomorrow as happens every fourth year. I think the calendar should be changed. If we have to have an extra day, why does it have to be in February? Why can't we have an extra day in June instead when the weather is better?

Geoff Endacott

Will you guarentee it will be better ?

And have you no thought for those born on February 29th that will never have a birthday again ?

Whether it's in February or June, I'd just like to commend all of you in permanent employment who are giving your employer an extra day's work for nothing.

Being on a daily contract rate has its advantages!

(This is one post I don't expect to get many "Likes" for).

ROFL. It's all in your own hands guys, the calendar is an entirely arbitrary artefact. Here's my solution, I reckon June has the best UK weather overall, so since I turned 17 and worked this out I haven't let June finish. It's now about June the 15,000th (to be honest I gave up counting years ago) and I enjoy 16 hours of daylight every day, never have to run the heating, and am not ageing either. (My first car is still in perfect condition too, no salt to rot the tin.) Wonderful what you can do if you put your mind to it...

Whether it's in February or June, I'd just like to commend all of you in permanent employment who are giving your employer an extra day's work for nothing.

Being on a daily contract rate has its advantages!

(This is one post I don't expect to get many "Likes" for).

You're not the only to benefit! Although I'm in a salaried job, I'm on a fixed work/leave 'rota' where I left work on 8th January and am not due back until 8th April - therefore I've gained an extra day of paid leave! :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Not long left now and I'm still waiting for that proposal. It's not easy working on a Comet coach with one hand (careful, I have explained this earlier :nono: )... oooh was that the doorbell?

P @ 36E

P.S. In my case it's not that easy working on anything even with two hands :beee:

• RMweb Premium

Every time a leap year starts on New Year's Day, I think,"Bah! An extra day of winter this year! Sod the Aussies, let's have leap year day on the 31st June! in the future!"

But by the time February 29th comes round again, the crocuses in the garden are in full bloom, the days are tangibly longer and I have forgotten how I felt about 29th February a few weeks earlier!

Thank God, leap year day never falls on the 31st November!

Actually, since I get paid the same every month, I'm getting paid for two days I don't work (compared with January). OK, so 3 Februarys out of 4, I get three days unearned pay, but I won't grumble!

Glass half full and all that...

This sounds like the story of the Soviet villager who, because his house was right on the planned border that had previously been rather vague, was asked by the surveyors whether he wanted the border drawn to put him on the Siberian or the Russian side. He asked to be in Siberia because "I can't stand those Russian winters"

Archived