Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

Thanks Alex, btw is that your shot on 60gen at the mo?

I'm not sure what's happened with 60096, it was booked to work 6M75 out of Wales - whether it worked a return, or whether it was to get it back for maintenance I'm not sure. Apparently last week it was banging due to a loose piece in the exhaust. Tug 74 is on the Westerleigh run today, I was really surprised to see it on the shorter Theale run yesterday. Only 24 tanks, vs Westlerleigh's 28, which produced a pair of sheds.

If 096 is still on Margam, technically that makes 4, given 026 and 062 are stored there. Well, positive thinking and all that laugh.gif

cheers

jo

Hi Jo, yes it is my shot on 60 gen, taken last October in the Peak District.

As you say it seems odd to put 074 on the Theale when a shed could handle that and then double-head the Westerleigh. Still EWS/DB know what they are doing! tongue.gif

Has 026 worked at all recently as I hear it has been moved into the yard? Would be nice to see a few more back in traffic but like you I think it is just wishful thinking.....sad.gif

Mmm, lovely, wouldn't mind a trip to Peak Forest at some point, but it's a fair old trek - especially in a day.

I didn't realise 60026/062 were there until last week, when someone posted on one of the groups saying 26 had been taken out of the shed and was phottable

cheers

jo

Indeed:

http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

I wish them luck finding a preserved railway that has the room and the axle loading limit to actually take one mind, maybe even two.

How about the Bluebell??? laugh.gif After all they have worked on the Ardingly branch....

That should get me hit over the head by someone when I return to work tomorrow....

Thanks John (and S.A.C.Martin) wink.gif

Duly noted!

Nidge

So what has been pulling the oil trains from Milford Haven? Haven't seen it for a while but last time I saw it passing Haverfordwest station it was being pulled by a very dog eared 60 in Loadhaul livery.

The blue 60 near the top of this page wink.gif Interspersed with 66s both singly and in pairs, and a period a month or so ago with a 59.Prior to a 60 returning in the last week or so to Margam, it had been solid GM haulage since late last year

cheers

jo

The blue 60 near the top of this page wink.gif Interspersed with 66s both singly and in pairs, and a period a month or so ago with a 59.Prior to a 60 returning in the last week or so to Margam, it had been solid GM haulage since late last year

cheers

jo

How can I find out when the train passes through a station or a certain point on the route that its visible. Theres a few in the area but short of camping out all day near the refineries I'm at a loss. On a clear summer night the train is quite loud and we are a good couple of miles away.

Magic m I thought you may be over simplyfying things a bit, I don't think the ews 66 fleet is that overstretched - there's about 60 of them in France . It's called sweating the assets, private companies can't have locos sitting around in yards they need to be making money

as for the 60s I would think 75 % are beyond help now , without a six figure sum being spent on each. I think the way forward would be a regeared 66 to match the flhh ones, must be cheaper than reactivating 60s. As for the 66 putting paid to 37s etc it was inevitable as slot of other types were at the end of their lives sad though it was.

Surprised no ones mentioned/put photos up yet but 60096 came down to Eastleigh yesterday (23rd) with 6X15 Scunthorpe to Eastleigh LWRT. Managed to get a shot of it at Shawford.

post-7258-127214663948_thumb.jpg

This was the only good shot, the others kept coming out overly bright and blurred for some reason.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Surprised no ones mentioned/put photos up yet but 60096 came down to Eastleigh yesterday (23rd) with 6X15 Scunthorpe to Eastleigh LWRT. Managed to get a shot of it at Shawford.

Looks like 096 has been on tour around England/Wales in the last week. South Wales on the 20th, Carlisle 21st, then Scunthorpe to Eastleigh on 23rd! Quite a few pics on fotopic of it in the last few days.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi

60010 and 60085 for the Liverpool coals next week. Class 59 device nowhere to be seen.

Oh yes! biggrin.gif Blythe Bridge is something of a 60 hotspot at the moment! 60010 passed through at 14.03 today with 6Z67 (Liverpool BT to Ratcliffe PS) then 60085 passed through at 15.57 with 6Z80 (Liverpool BT to Ratcliffe PS). 60010 & train should come back later, 60085 & train goes via Stafford (the Derby to Stoke line having closed for the night by then)

First photo. 60085 pulling out of Caverswall loop with 6Z67, 23 loaded HTAs, 23rd April 2010, 14.00 (ish). I believe it's due to wait at Caverswall from 11.40 to 14.00!

600856Z67Caverswall230410Small.jpg

Second photo. 60010 waiting in the loop today (29th April 2010) with 6Z67. Taken from a public footpath which crosses the Stoke to Derby line at the Blythe Bridge end of Caverswall loops (just off the left of the photo above).

600106Z67CaverswallLoop290410Small.jpg

Andrew

PS - The 59 only seemed to work one train last week, to Ratcliffe on Monday (which I missed because I was at work) and back to Warrington on Wednesday (when it was dark rolleyes.gif )

just been looking at pics of of tug 98 on fotopic and WOW :O what a mess its in. All the electrics in the cab have been ripped out, all the light clusters missing, no air horns, engine room doors removed, no couplings, wipers and their mechanisms missing, mulit-working sockets removed, cabside windows taken out and boarded up :O and that's just what you can see, no doubt theres alot more parts missing inside. between Immingham and Toton they've really made this ones fate certain :(

just been looking at pics of of tug 98 on fotopic and WOW :O what a mess its in. All the electrics in the cab have been ripped out, all the light clusters missing, no air horns, engine room doors removed, no couplings, wipers and their mechanisms missing, mulit-working sockets removed, cabside windows taken out and boarded up :O and that's just what you can see, no doubt theres alot more parts missing inside. between Immingham and Toton they've really made this ones fate certain :(

What about 60070? :(

Definite and full withdrawal as source of spare parts on the cards, surely...

Don't think so Jo, 007 is one of 15 members of the class in warm storage at Crewe.

So it be! I could have sworn it disgraced itself spectacularly! Mind games I guess, as Tugtracker lists it as being put into store due to electrical equipment fault, which presumable is fixed since it's stored servicable.

cheers

jo

Bonus at Westerleigh!

post-148-127299687619.jpg

Taken today, Teenage Spirt arrived at about 12:15, while Ribblehead Viaduct was still there. I believe there were problems in the Ashchurch area which led to this.

60071 was smoking a bit - the driver said it felt a bit off - hope he made it back ok smile.gif

• Like 1