The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• RMweb Gold

Dark Blue Tug 60011 is in the current pool WCAI and was working the 6D43 Jarrow - Lindsey this afternoon so unlikely to be that one.

60074 was working the 6B47 Westerleigh- Robeston which is the more likely candidate

He said (Mainline) so I assumed 60011, I was imagining he would have said sky blue if it had been 074 but I guess unless you know the 60 colours then blue is blue.

I had a look from the M4 as I went east ( I do wish they'd cut the trees back) and to be honest it looked too dark a blue to be 60074 which is why I said "(Mainline?)" Unfortunately even at 55 mph you don't get time for much more than a glance. I'll be back past there on Monday morning (Bristol delivery for 09:00) in both directions so I'll have another look to see what's there.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

A rather clean 11 went through Washfordheath on the Kingsbury tanks today, to slow with my camera, willwait for it tommorrow.

Hi Grunfos

I need to correct your location name. It is Washwood Heath - colloquially known as Bromford.

60011 is on 6V98 overnight so will probably be heading back to the northeast on 6E41 on Friday afternoon.

60074 was in Westerleigh on 26/7 and another was there at 07:40 this morning. Unfortunately all I could see was the yellow cab front so no idea of which one.

Pete

Should be Mainline blue 60011 again today as per Phil's earlier post.

Here she is on the 27th July, having worked it for the previous few days, it would have been this one at Westerleigh you saw the day before, as 59206 in DB red brought in the other daily train

13en41.jpg

HTH

cheers

jo

Yes big T your quite right it is netchells in Birmingham but alongside the RMC plant. There are more photos in my Washfordheath galleries. There should be a pic of 011 on todays tanks.

It is Star City in Nechells, Birmingham, which does have a funfair in the car park.

The two "girders" at the rear of the shot are in fact the Star City building. The Vauxhall garage is on teh right, and the entrance to the gas towers are to the left.

The road in the background is the A47 which runs along side the now mothballed Washwood Heath yard.

Its an interesting view, and I guess its taken from the RMC depot or the sleeper loading gantry!

Looking towards the gas towers:

http://bigtsrailimages.fotopic.net/p57577065.html

This is a view looking towards Brum with the road on the right:

http://bigtsrailimages.fotopic.net/p64261755.html

post-4133-128111431687_thumb.jpg

post-4133-128111437862_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil

Yes I'm not sure why I keep writing it as one word,The local area is known as Saltley and Netchells as well.

Hi Grunfos

I need to correct your location name. It is Washwood Heath - colloquially known as Bromford.

60011 is on 6V98 overnight so will probably be heading back to the northeast on 6E41 on Friday afternoon.

Here's 60049 passing Callow Hill, just west of Wootton Bassett Jnc with 6B33 Theale - Robeston empty Murco tanks, taking over from 60013 after it's solid multi week run of this train 17/8/10

It's interesting to see that this 60 is currently (and has been for a fair while) ploughless at this end

post-6899-128208643123_thumb.jpg

cheers

jo

Cheers Trev,

Although the sun is on the "wrong" side of the train, I think the location makes up for it! It's a spot I've been to many times, but my friend spotted this alternative shot yesterday

Definitely want to model 60049 without plough!

cheers

jo

Nice one Trev, 011 is a bit of a beast, and a decent rain shot looks great!cool.gif

Here's my trio from today

post-6899-128225828762_thumb.jpg

60071 waits to depart Westerleigh with 6E41 back to Lindsey refinery

post-6899-128225833496_thumb.jpg

60013 passes Westerleigh village with 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh

post-6899-128225851451_thumb.jpg

60049 passes Ram Hill in the rain with 6B33 Theale - Robeston. I wonder how long this one will work this train for - tug 13 did it for weeks on end previously

You've still got to wonder if one day we'll see a red and grey 60, maybe, just maybe...

cheers

jo

Managed to grab a couple of 60 workings recently, unfortunately it was the same loco on both workings. Oh well, still a tug i guess!

The first shot is 60071 on the Westerleigh - Lindsay empties at Stenson Junction on the 29th July.

post-7748-128239396416_thumb.jpg

The second is the same loco crossing Strand Road at Preston, as it starts it's journey back to Lindsay.

post-7748-128239411075_thumb.jpg