Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

84 and 39 were at Peak Forest on Tuesday 21 September, 84 headed west on stone through New Mills South Junc (took the New Mills Central line) on 22 Sept and 39 had gone from Peak Forest when I was there that afternoon.

66138 took 10 minutes to shift a train out of the sidings at Peak Forest and then shut down (probably to cool off!) blocking both running lines when nearly at the summit.

It eventually re-started the train.

post-5683-014679200 1285344966_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Stand back for the stampede by mags and model box shifters as they race to Hornby to be the first to book the rights to the money grabbing exclusive limited edition...

Oooh I am grumpy and cynical today!!! :D

Good shot of 071 Jo.

Great news to hear that the 60 fleet is on the up. I wonder if 60099 will emerge in a new coat of paint? And if so what colour?!

Does anyone know if 099 has had any refurbished parts added as it seems to have been worked on for a while? Or is it just a patch up and return from store?

If today’s TOPs report is correct there are 4 Brush Beasts at Peak Forest, must be a while since that last happened! I presume 39 must have an exam coming up and needs replacing but not sure if 84 is the same. That may explain it, perhaps someone on here can confirm.

60039 was working 6m22 hunslet-tunstead on friday 24th wasnt sounding to healthy when it set off from the loop at marsden

Seeing as they are being rapidly withdrawn, I can't wait for Goodbye livery, See you Around livery and Auf Wiedersehen Pet livery, but Ta ta is a start. :)

Out of curiosity, I counted those visible from the bank at Toton this morning, total 48% of the class. 99 looks impressive in new paint compared to the shabby ones, the first with DB S branding

Merfyn.

60099 is not the first with DB S branding,as 60040 and 60074 have had the cab side logos since 2008 ;)

True, although apparently 60099 carries DB logo's on the front also.

Cant wait to see a clearer shot of it outside Toton I just hope it isn't rushed back into traffic too quickly just to promote the new livery and end up failing on its first outing like 37419 and 67018 did! :lol:

Good to see not only a 60 on the Liverpool-Fiddlers Ferry Diagram but also Loadhaul 60059!

The only Loadhual liveried loco in service in 2010.While not a recent picture,Ive uploaded an image from my collection of 60020,taken in August 2008 at Arpley shed,there was a two others there that day,you would be lucky to see 1 Tug at Arpley these days- only 2 years later! :D

60020 Arpley

post-6254-023082900 1285683639_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me or are there an awful lot of bubbles and bulges (in a 1970's Ford Cortina attacked with Halfords filler kind of stylee) on the body side of 60099?

Looks a bit of a rushed bodge job to me...

Another batch allox load bank testing today B)

Very interesting - thanks for sharing that Dave!

I'm sorry to do it again to you all guys, here's another tug on the Mendip stone, captured earlier today

post-6899-047038300 1285873456_thumb.jpg

Making it a pair of 60s to work a Mendip stone in the last fortnight, 60074 'Teenage Spirit' powers past Great Cheverell sounding excellent hauling 6M20 from Whatley to St Pancras. The orange RMC hoppers do go well with the blue loco.

cheers

jo

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting - thanks for sharing that Dave! I'm sorry to do it again to you all guys, here's another tug on the Mendip stone, captured earlier todaypost-6899-047038300 1285873456_thumb.jpgMaking it a pair of 60s to work a Mendip stone in the last fortnight, 60074 'Teenage Spirit' powers past Great Cheverell sounding excellent hauling 6M20 from Whatley to St Pancras. The orange RMC hoppers do go well with the blue loco.cheersjo

That'll be why I saw it at Acton Lane this morning.

I believe it was on the Acton - Theale sand circuit today Phil, with the VTG MRL sand hoppers

Cracking photo - sunny too - fortunate considering the Wiltshire weather down 'ere over the last few days

As I type this we've had a day of torrential rain, virtually horizontal at times. Definitely the best weather of the week was yesterday! Still, it's given the car a wash :lol:

cheers

jo

great pics jo B) glad the 60's have been having bit of a 'spurt' lately what with the repainting of 60099 and up to 15 examples active at one time :D all good news on that front of course with the exception of the ones on the tender list! :lol:

Can easily see how engine hours and lack of maintenance has led to their downfall but not so long ago there was talk of their withdrawal being due to them being not very fuel efficient compared with 66/0's which certainly is a mystery as both classes do 1MPG with the Sheds only beating TUGS on actual fuel capacity rather than efficiency.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to do it again to you all guys, here's another tug on the Mendip stone, captured earlier today

post-6899-047038300 1285873456_thumb.jpg

Making it a pair of 60s to work a Mendip stone in the last fortnight, 60074 'Teenage Spirit' powers past Great Cheverell sounding excellent hauling 6M20 from Whatley to St Pancras. The orange RMC hoppers do go well with the blue loco.

cheers

jo

Nice shot Jo. :)

I was the driver on 6M20 that day and had a Didcot driver road learning the B&H with me.

I had the same loco the previous day too - I took it dead in train on 6O41 Westbury to Eastleigh (train loco 66058), then dumped the 66 in Eastleigh yard and drove 60074 back to Westbury on 6V41.

Deep joy! B)

Regards

Dan