The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

Ditto at Swindon - my new office window gives me a fabulous vista over the western end of the station.

Is there a way of checking (ie website) which 60 is on 6B33 before it leaves as TRUST is no longer accessible to me............?

Lucky! A room with a view!

It might be worth signing up to some of the local Yahoo gen groups' date=' WiltshireAvonGen, SWRG and 60gen. I try to post here too when I see a new one turn up in Wales, indeed 60065 has just arrived at Margam

Does she sound any healthier now or clag less than the other 60's?

Certainly no quieter than a "normal" 60 when it passed me yesterday, though no match for 71 or 91 in the noise ratings. Here's 60007 passing Little Somerford with 6B33 Theale - Margam

post-6899-0-87021100-1319376012_thumb.jpg

Thursday (20th) saw 60039 work 6V18 Hither Green - Whatley empty Hanson hoppers. After a dull afternoon, with the train running about 75 mins late,the weak sun put in an appearance, low in the sky

post-6899-0-80091600-1319376033_thumb.jpg

jo

Can any one tell us how this seasons RHTT work as affected the availablilty / stored status of the 60's.

And I can remember chatting to an EWS driver on a charter when it was waiting at York, he had a 67 on the front of a 66, he told me that the 66 couldn't climb from the north london line up to the GWML at Acton, which is why the 67 was on the front.

The 60's are the (probably) the last main line diesels to be built in this country, and at 100 the class was small, but the government wouldn't pay up for anymore! It would be nice to know - 1, Was there a plan for a larger class? 2, Could the 60's have been designed, adapted or built as passenger / mixed traffic loco's?

......It would be nice to know -

1, Was there a plan for a larger class?

2, Could the 60's have been designed, adapted or built as passenger / mixed traffic loco's?

Apparently in the late 1980's and early 90's, BR were working on plans for a number of new diesel and electric locos, intended to replace most of the 50's and 60's "classic" types from the late 90's onwards.

My understanding is that all work on these schemes was halted in the run-up to privatisation.

In answer to your two points...

1. IIRC, there were two more powerful diesel freight locos under consideration. One optimised for coal & mineral traffic (General Motors ? - class 62 ?) and the other for intermodal (class 65 ?).

2. A lower powered and re-geared diesel loco based on and similar to the class 60, but intended for both passenger and freight work, is noted as the class 41 (re-used in the best BR tradition) by some sources. I think this was intended to replace the 47 and other remaining passenger diesel locos, although MU's were expected to increasingly dominate the passenger scene.

Thursday (20th) saw 60039 work 6V18 Hither Green - Whatley empty Hanson hoppers. After a dull afternoon, with the train running about 75 mins late,the weak sun put in an appearance, low in the sky

jo

Passed a chap waiting at Manningford with a camera (must have been for this) on my way home and didn't stop to enquire what was about - bugg*r ! Lesson for next time.................

Last Tuedsays 6B33 was 60007

Last Thursdays 6B33 was 60071

Edited by Southernman46

After further looking around on the web, I came across references to 60500!! It seems that 60016 was renumbered, and on one site there are pictures to support the fact, but I couldn't find any reason for the renumbering.

BTW, we had a steel liveried one powering some flats through Grantham yesterday evening.

Can any one tell us how this seasons RHTT work as affected the availablilty / stored status of the 60's.

And I can remember chatting to an EWS driver on a charter when it was waiting at York, he had a 67 on the front of a 66, he told me that the 66 couldn't climb from the north london line up to the GWML at Acton, which is why the 67 was on the front.

The 60's are the (probably) the last main line diesels to be built in this country, and at 100 the class was small, but the government wouldn't pay up for anymore! It would be nice to know - 1, Was there a plan for a larger class? 2, Could the 60's have been designed, adapted or built as passenger / mixed traffic loco's?

Every year the numbers of 60's in traffic increases due to the 66's being used on the RHTT's. It used to happen with 37's too.

The numbers generally fluctuate between 5 and around 15 in traffic.

The 60's were the last main line type 5 built in the UK. Not sure about something larger being mooted, due to the downturn of traffice beginning to creep in at that point in time, and I doubt very much if the 60's could be adapted for passenger use - they were designed for one thing - digging deep and working on stuff 3,000 tons plus.

Saying that I have had them on tours, and they do OK. (but theyre not as fast as a 56.....!)

As any driver will tell you, once opened up on a sufficiently heavy train, they dig down, and compress their springs and you can feel it.

From memory their traction motors prohibit fast running, but I have heard a few stories of them being clocked in excess of 60mph. I dont think they take power off you and apply the brake as a 66 does though.

Edited by big T

60500 was renumbered to mark the 500th issue of Rail Magazine, 60016 was chosen as it perviously carried Rail Magazine nameplates. It has now been designated by the RHC for preservation as the last British built main line diesel loco.

Edited by Arpleymodeller

60500 was renumbered to mark the 500th issue of Rail Magazine, 60016 was chosen as it perviously carried Rail Magazine nameplates. It has now been designated by the RHC for preservation as the last British built main line diesel loco.

60016 being the last built main line loco? :no:

Surely you mean 60100?

60091 is now on its way to completion, has been reinstated according to WNXX, the 60s are making a good comeback!

2 overhauled, 1 nearing completion and another 18 to go until DBS has 21 'super 60s'.

What is a super 60?!!! :lol:

There is nothing 'super' about them - they have just recieved what they deserve - partial overhaul and life extension!

I for one am glad that they are cobbling together a small fleet of tarted up 60's, but how long before these are run into the ground just like the others?

Bring back BREL and the associated works maintainence programmes!

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

Yes of course, I did mean 60100! :no:

DBS coined the term 'super 60', nothing is really super apart from that they have been overhauled. So I suppose you could say that as the chances of them failing is less they can be called 'super'?!

Edited by Arpleymodeller

• 4 weeks later...