Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Gold

Nice work. I knocked together my first proper one yesterday. I was wondering about hand rails. Did you bend them yourself?

Andy

Edited by Andy7

• RMweb Premium

Nice work. I knocked together my first proper one yesterday. I was wondering about hand rails. Did you bend them yourself?

Andy

Yes - I used 0.35mm phosphor bronze wire, but crass or nickel-silver would also be good (I only had small wire in PB in my stocks)

Small wire is easy to bend - use a pair of small snipe nose pliers with a nice sharp edge to them.

As an aside, I fitted the microstrip on "edge", rather than flat to give more of a sharper look to it - see previous pics of the prototype ends earlier in this thread to see what I mean.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

They are a bit thick, but once painted, they aren't as noticeable. There is a strengthening angle on the prototype that makes them look a bit thicker anyway.

There is actually a bigger error compromise with the wagons, but I don't think anyone has spotted it yet!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I agree you get the flavour, which is so important. Pete does have just the business to provide this sort of thing. Perhaps he can advice a price for a more scaled product. Until then .......fantastic work as usual Mick

There is actually a bigger error compromise with the wagons, but I don't think anyone has spotted it yet!

Is the slope on the underside too gradual?

You've got me intrigued!

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Is the slope on the underside too gradual?

You've got me intrigued!

Jack.

Wagons too long would be my guess Mick!

Andy

Yes - they are too long by about 20mm - the main discrepancy is between the bogies and the way would be to cut out 10mm or so on each side, just inboard of the bogies and make the sloping section steeper.

I have a cunning plan involving a damaged donor wagon from a friend, but there are other more pressing projects.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

It looks like a pile of matchsticks, but I've got 112 (for now) stanchions to assemble! With a few left over for two more KFA's later

56 down, 56 to go. I've got it down to about 20 mins for a set of 14. Pics later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

Can I ask what size micro strip you've used ?

PLEASE !

Received my bag of smokey wood chippings today (thanks for the tip)

Best Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

I think it's 30x20 thou strip, (I was lucky in that it was supplied with the bits), but you could probably use 30x15.

Here's 70 of the blighters looking like I'm lining them up for the world stanchion toppling championships.

post-408-0-64423900-1400799888_thumb.jpg

With the rest of the bits sorted to make up to 112, plus a few spares (for now.........)

post-408-0-19500200-1400799894_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

i've ordered 5 wagons worth of bits off andy7, looks like i'll have something to do during my hotel stays while on lodge turns!!

just need to order the wagons now too, i think hattons do them as bulk packs

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

Stanchions are looking great, are they the right size (ish)?

Now.....could you please rack your brains and remember the first project you detailed on this thread, and the genny 6263....

I want to model this coach (in the modern way with doors filled), and have seen the grills on the roof, but you never said who makes them or what you fashioned them of (I don't think...)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53157-newbryfords-mostly-yellow-workbench/?p=631877

Please could you enlighten me? :yes:

Ta,

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Stanchions are looking great, are they the right size (ish)?

Now.....could you please rack your brains and remember the first project you detailed on this thread, and the genny 6263....

I want to model this coach (in the modern way with doors filled), and have seen the grills on the roof, but you never said who makes them or what you fashioned them of (I don't think...)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53157-newbryfords-mostly-yellow-workbench/?p=631877

Please could you enlighten me? :yes:

Ta,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

The stanchions look right on the wagon......

The grilles on 6263 and my other genny vans are from my bits box. I bough a load of random grille etchings from A1 Models a few years ago and I'm using those.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

Interesting prototypical shot here:

http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/first-locomotive-in-platform-9-for-10.html

5th photo down. Looks like reinforcing bars across the "holes" in the ends.

Any idea why the holes are there in the first place ?

Alot of them appear to have white ends (inside and out) - still wanna do a blue one or two though....

The stanchions look to be red oxide, but some photos they're more orange...

Variation. A modellers nightmare.

Good luck...Nick

Edited by rs4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

Interesting prototypical shot here:

http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/first-locomotive-in-platform-9-for-10.html

5th photo down. Looks like reinforcing bars across the "holes" in the ends.

Any idea why the holes are there in the first place ?

Alot of them appear to have white ends (inside and out) - still wanna do a blue one or two though....

The stanchions look to be red oxide, but some photos they're more orange...

Variation. A modellers nightmare.

Good luck...Nick

Hi Nick,

I think the holes were added to reduce aero drag when running empty, however, in transit, there was a perception that the logs could shift through the holes, so they welded strips across them. It wasn't long before enthusiastic loading bent the strips out of shape, or even knocked them off completely. The loads are that well strapped down, they don't move around anyway.

post-408-0-99634700-1400959531_thumb.jpg

The KSA's also have holes, but these were covered with weldmesh - that lasted about a week! They are now fitted with bars - as per the third pic down in your link.

Consequently, the IWA's have no holes at all.
The outer ends are blue, the inner ends are pale grey, and stanchions were red to start with, but in time, the whole wagon, especially the end, has been accrued a lot of grime.

There is some blue there.....

post-408-0-95590700-1400959535_thumb.jpg

Cheers,
Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Hi Nick,

I think it's 30x20 thou strip, (I was lucky in that it was supplied with the bits), but you could probably use 30x15.

Here's 70 of the blighters looking like I'm lining them up for the world stanchion toppling championships.

attachicon.gifKFA10.jpg

With the rest of the bits sorted to make up to 112, plus a few spares (for now.........)

attachicon.gifKFA11.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

If you get bored ....you can always take up hurdling LOL..

.......got me coat...leaving......

Mick

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I've been in touch with The Forestry Commission.

They are only allowing us to load 2 wagons for fear of mass deforestation.

SORRY.

: )

I suggested using something more environmentally friendly like lead or cadmium. The phone went dead. Odd.

• RMweb Gold

Mick I hope you don't mind me posting this pic on here, but I have 95% finished my first KFA! Weathered as well and looking great with one of my Colas 56's.

Really looking forward to seeing your full rake made up and on a layout.

Andy

imagejpg1_zps897b55f3.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mick I hope you don't mind me posting this pic on here, but I have 95% finished my first KFA! Weathered as well and looking great with one of my Colas 56's.

Not at all - it's your idea that spurred me on in the first place.

I designed all my transfers last night - just need to hook up to the wife's work's laser printer later today. As my chassis are black, I've printed the transfers as black background on white paper. Hopefully they'll turn out OK.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2