Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

But only one shade of orange....

And one shade of black.

post-408-0-41429200-1405115435_thumb.jpg

Just a bit of tidying up of the edges before applying the cantrail lines - which in the above cases, will be transfers, but.............................

I have a new best friend. I'm sure others have used these before.

Whilst in Hobbycraft on an emergency purchase of black paint (my local hobby shop had run out and I was visiting the adjacent supermarket for the weekly shop), I found this paint pen.

post-408-0-98732400-1405115589_thumb.jpg

I normally use transfers or mask and paint the cantrail line, but by using the pen at a shallow angle

post-408-0-24001200-1405115586_thumb.jpg

I've ended up with these.

post-408-0-84483600-1405115580_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-51583500-1405115594_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-27590300-1405115598_thumb.jpg

In the time it took me to complete 6 coaches, I wouldn't even have one masked up!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the NMT is going to be formed like this for up to 10 weeks as the regular coaches are out for maintenance. It's also restricted to 90mph.

Cheers,

Mick

It is indeed restricted - it's under-braked with the Mk2s (I somewhat upset the applecart by suggesting that would be the case while it was being developed and wouldn't accept the projections on Mk2 coach brakeforce and insisted on a test, which proved it was under-braked.  I suspect I was not flavour of the month with a certain development team after that ;) ).

• RMweb Premium

Liking the paint pen, care to spill the beans about what supermarket it's from as it certainly does the job

Whilst in Hobbycraft on an emergency purchase of black paint (my local hobby shop had run out and I was visiting the adjacent supermarket for the weekly shop), I found this paint pen.

HTH,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

This might mean that the replica transfers I have been putting off doing for ages stay in their packet for ever!

Are those R3sprays DRS transfers and Precision DRS blue? I went past Crewe yesterday and on seeing those coaches inevitably quite fancy a short rake...

Marcus.

• RMweb Premium

This might mean that the replica transfers I have been putting off doing for ages stay in their packet for ever!

Are those R3sprays DRS transfers and Precision DRS blue? I went past Crewe yesterday and on seeing those coaches inevitably quite fancy a short rake...

Marcus.

Yes, they are R3sprays transfers. I now use Humbrol Oxford blue 104 - it's the same shade and cheaper than Phoenix Precision.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes, they are R3sprays transfers. I now use Humbrol Oxford blue 104 - it's the same shade and cheaper than Phoenix Precision.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks! I do like Phoenix Precision but it's bloomin' expensive to get it delivered and I don't have a local stockist - so good to know that the more widely available Humbrol does the job.

Marcus.

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos and work as usual! Enjoyable to see!

I'm intrigued at the last coach photo, is it green? What livery is it?

Yes - BR coach green - 34067 Tangmere support coach

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptontoffeeman/14351155691/in/photolist-6qzwzk-nSaqAP-nUeLeP-ohi36S-jRqepo-arXCbU-ndAVm9-bAkz2E-6f71Z8-bnWJyY-bnWJuo-cyheh1-cgK5Y1-hQ5Sy6-VRb2g-nSa97M-iUfLUE-dSLEtn-js2zH3-j2LVJw-dFqfbq-gKzEUn-ebbJfX-7iADpF-3QV5s-jXoWCy-bxQ2jX-gVgWaZ-efgKdw-mzuznw-8AmfyW-eskEC9-fE6QL9-cwLaxj-2bDHiM-adRwYK-8XmQAL-e4mLrW-hnE4Hs-eSUsNG-bBVBfo-dEZCAx-JNeDA-8j5pE3-8j5pC9-gdHXva-5rkcb2-bxXpBz-g9JGpR-6ejUuG

The shiny patches are Klear - ready for applying the numbers.

Cheers,

Mick

Edit: 34067 name corrected

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Well you learn something every day!

What product do you recommend for stripping decals off?

It's not often I strip just decals - and everyone has their own preferences.

Meths, thinners, T-Cut to name a few.

I usually try meths first, but the danger with any of the chemicals, is that over vigorous use will strip off the paint as well. Have a search on weathering and painting section for more ideas.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I see you have gone with the Tangmere support coach which was discussed in the Unusual working topic. Cant wait to see the final outcome with the 33 as well i presume? 

I haven't got a 33 (yet), so until then it's likely to be a WCRC 37 instead.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

natty idea....needs a steady hand...

have you looked at acg-mr s interiors recently?

I have now - thanks! I need to change the BSO  interior to a BFK for the Tangmere's support coach.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Despite my diversion with the orange paint pen, it was back to the Replica cantrail transfers for the Colas repaints.

Work in progress.

post-408-0-63765700-1405715102_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-42958800-1405715107_thumb.jpg

And also continuing the yellow theme ahead of the Hornby release of 08417 in yellow. A bit of tidying up to do.

post-408-0-05640700-1405715295_thumb.jpg

I wonder if Hornby will get the stripes correct on the yellow version - they weren't quite right on the red/grey release.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I hate orange stripes. I don't know how you do it with transfers. Altho I have to confess I think they look better than a lining pen.

Lots of patience - just doing one bit at a time and waiting for it to set before moving onto the next bit.

Having four locos on the go is good, as I'm not tempted to do too much on one, too soon.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I've finally ordered a rake of 5 cargowaggon flats from hattons so i can crack on with my log train using the same lazer cut bits as you have used, i'll no doubt be back here for some advice soon!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

beautiful work, no lack of paint so the old stuff shows thru, not too much so it bubbles.......always crisps lines, OMG you blxxdy perfectionist....LOL...

As I've said before - there is a large reject practice pile...... :O

Cheers,

Mic

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've finally ordered a rake of 5 cargowaggon flats from hattons so i can crack on with my log train using the same lazer cut bits as you have used, i'll no doubt be back here for some advice soon!!

Can I ask who you got the laser bits from. Making the new log wagons is a project if like to have a go at some time.

Thanks.

Phil

Edited by hawkingetippyd