Class 59 diesels, where are they now?

JeffP

Sorry if this is a daft question, but when the first tranche of EMD class 59's arrived, we went all the way to Westbury and saw all four in a day before returning home.

We were set to camp, but it POURED that evening and we HAD seen them all, so I drove home while the others slept.....again.

I gather one more was added, and that ARC and then one of the Power Generating companies had some. I remember seeing one in what appeared to be blue with red and white, (silver?), towing loaded hoppers through Doncaster, while awaiting a connection, about ten years back?

So..where are they now?

Have they been re-classified?

What livery do they wear?

Who owns them?

And have they all their original nameplates?

• RMweb Premium

http://www.thejuncti...k/flist_59.html

59001   AI  XYPO  MD   --	YEOMAN ENDEAVOUR
59002   FY  XYPO  MD   --	ALAN J DAY
59004   FY  XYPO  MD   --	PAUL A HAMMOND
59005   AI  XYPO  MD   --	KENNETH J. PAINTER

59101   HA  XYPA  MD   --	Village of Whatley
59102   HA  XYPA  MD   --	Village of Chantry
59103   HA  XYPA  MD   --	Village of Mells
59104   HA  XYPA  MD   --	Village of Great Elm

59201   DB  WNTR  TO   TO
59202   EW  WDAK  TO   --	Vale of White Horse
59203   EW  WDAK  TO   --	Vale of Pickering
59204   EW  WDAK  TO   --	Vale of Glamorgan
59205   EW  WDAK  TO   --	L Keith McNair
59206   DB  WDAK  TO   --	John F. Yeoman Rail Pioneer

59003 is not included as this is working outside the UK.

Edit:

AI = Aggregate Industries

FY = Foster Yeoman

HA = Hanson

DB = DB Schenker Red

EW = EWS

Generally speaking, I guess the MD ones (Merehead?) are working aggregates out of the Westbury area, but do those Toton ones work out of somewhere else?

WDAK appears to be "Cl.59 Construction", which doesn't necessarily tell you much. Didn't our own Beast66606 photograph some on coal trains in the NW?

• RMweb Gold

The Toton allocation is something of a paper exercise. They all work the Mendip stone trains.

Correct on the first part, but not necessarily correct on the second. Until pretty recently there was one of the 59/2s up in Warrington for the Fiddlers Ferry/Liverpool coal circuits. The EWS 59s (59/2s) get around a fair bit.

Cheers, Mike

1)Is Aggregate Industries a merger/collaboration of Foster Yeoman and someone?

2)Are the 59/1s the ones bought by ARC?

3)Are the now DBS owned 59/2s the ones originally bought by National Power?

1)AI is part of Holcim (swiss company) and took over FY in '06

2)Yes

3)Yes

HTH,

Simon

Correct on the first part, but not necessarily correct on the second. Until pretty recently there was one of the 59/2s up in Warrington for the Fiddlers Ferry/Liverpool coal circuits. The EWS 59s (59/2s) get around a fair bit.

Cheers, Mike

I didn't say that they exclusively worked the Mendip stone trains, but they have all been used on them.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

The EWD/DB ones seem to be fairly regular visitors to Eastleigh and Fareham, 59202 was at Fareham terminal just the other day although the Medip Rail 59/0 and 59/1's are more common.

Around the same time as the Liverpool coal usage, there was a 59/2 being used in South Wales on the Robeston Murco circuits.

IMG3742-L.jpg

59205 and 66067 sit at Westerleigh waiting to shunt the empty tanks to form 6B47 back to Robeston. This was one of the early trials of a 59 on the Murco tanks, with the 66 along as insurance should the loco struggle at all 11/3/10

IMG7702-59206-6B33-L.jpg

59206 passes Callow Hill with 6B33 Theale - Robeston during the period DB were trying to run down the 60s 18/1/11

Now DB has given up on the idea of killing off the 60s, the 59/2s have returned to the Mendip area, including binliners off Acton etc. All three subclasses also crop up on engineers workings too at the weekend when there's much less stone traffic. Also the 59/2s can appear on Westbury based out and back trunk movements, like the Eastleigh, and the Newport when it used to run.

IMG8857-59205-6C41-L.jpg

59205 at Brassknocker near Limpley Stoke with a lightweight 6C41 Newport - Westbury 25/3/11

IMG7932-59005-6W37-L.jpg

59005 passes Freshford with 6W37, an engineers train bound for Westbury 30/1/11

And just for completeness sake, here's a couple of shots of them on stone workings thrown in for good measure!

IMG1995-59004-7A09-L.jpg

59004 and a matching train of Yeoman hoppers rolls towards Hungerford with 7A09 Merehead - Acton 25/11/11

IMG7904-59102-6V18-L.jpg

59102 passes Crofton on 6V18 Hither Green - Whatley 28/1/11

There's plenty more where they came from: http://joalder.smugmug.com/Trains/Class-By-Class/Class-59/

Hope this is of interest

jo

I'll need to bone up on how they differ, externally, from 66's......

The cooler group, buffers and I think the cab side windows are common components as a starter for 5. Not much else is though...

jo

Guest AlexTM

Hi folks,

Don't know if this is of interest but I used to regularly see 59s on aggregate trains at the terminal outside St. Pancras; that was up to the winter of 2010/11. After that I moved back up to Edinburgh.

Regards,

Alex.

IMG1995-59004-7A09-L.jpg

59004 and a matching train of Yeoman hoppers rolls towards Hungerford with 7A09 Merehead - Acton 25/11/11

Can you tell me exactly where this shot was taken from please ? A really good location. It it legally accessible ?

Thanks

STEVE

So the Toton ones could, in theory, turn up anywhere?

Even on a binliner through Scunny?

Dependant on traction knowledge of the relevant depot.

I really have no idea which DB-S drivers sign them now, guessing Warrington and Peak Forest men have some knowledge, as well as presumably some TO drivers.

When the /2s were delivered to National Power I believe they were allocated to Ferrybridge for working coal and limestone to the Aire Valley stations. That was however a long time ago, for official traction knowledge retention though.

• RMweb Premium

59202 was back at Fareham this morning with rather bored looking driver in the front cab reading his paper as his load was being unloaded. Still in EWS livery with one word to describe it coming to mind - rusty, very rusty. Nothing like the well cared for machines they were under National Power ownership. A trip to Toton for a sand down and a coat of paint is well overdue I thinki!

I wonder how long before THEY are withdrawn as "non standard"?

Ironic, really, since their arrival signalled the death of many other classes in the long run.

Woops: mods, can someone delete the above, please, don't know how that happened.

Anyway, as I THOUGHT I was saying: I wonder how long before the 59's start being withdrawn as non standard? Pretty ironic if they do, since their arrival signalled the death of many other classes....

Archived