Location?

Ruston

I have scanned an old slide that I bought over 25 years ago. The only info is the printed date of November 1978. I say the location is just outside Derby just south of where the MML goes under the A38 bypass. A mate reckons it's Stourton, Leeds.

post-494-0-37182200-1331591415.jpg

Or is it somewhere altogether different?

Guest stuartp

Certainly looks like the Bison factory near Stourton (not sure if that was the real name but they made Bison beams). If that's the case then the colliery may be Waterloo, and the A1/M1 link now runs right across the top of the picture.

• RMweb Gold

I have scanned an old slide that I bought over 25 years ago. The only info is the printed date of November 1978. I say the location is just outside Derby just south of where the MML goes under the A38 bypass. A mate reckons it's Stourton, Leeds.

Or is it somewhere altogether different?

Aside from the conformation from EWD, the MML, and most other lines, at Derby had long been converted to colour lights by 1978.

It`s stourton if you look at OP`s pic and eastwestdivides pics, signals same, the bridge and manhole hole before it, and also the plant tower when both pics are blown up. Then look on google earth and see hows it changed, love info like this.

Cheers Ruston for posting my Home City :D

ken

Cheers, chaps. Looks like I lost. Well, he is a Freightliner driver so he should know Stourton, even though he said that one one slide of the ECML at Shipton was the MML near Syston Junction!

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic collection of photos, I would advise EVERYONE to check out EWDs link, there is all sorts of stuff in there, and I mean all sorts, from the North of Scotland, to the East to the West, the S&D, London lines, etc. etc. etc.

Cheers, chaps. Looks like I lost. Well, he is a Freightliner driver so he should know Stourton, even though he said that one one slide of the ECML at Shipton was the MML near Syston Junction!

The plant tower looked right to me at first but the bridge parapit didnt look big enough for Pontefract road lol. like your mate i should know better pulling out of the container base hehe - proves the adage once you become aware of something daily your mind blocks it out forgets it etc. plus swillington hill in back ground looked to high aswell.

• RMweb Gold

It is Reading - view taken standing on Platform 8 (Down Relief) looking north of west towards the Up Relief Line (Platform 9) over the Relief Lines Middle Sdg. Definitely post 1965 as the resignalling is well and truly in and some ground signals plus the point machine have been repainted which suggests it's probably around 1970. I would think the train standing over on, I think, the former Pilot Line might be the daytime 'Redhill Parcels' although I can't remember what time of it left.

The building in the background which looks like a signalbox might never have been one and if it had it certainly hadn't been in that role for over 50 years at the time the pic was taken

• RMweb Gold

I would think the train standing over on, I think, the former Pilot Line might be the daytime 'Redhill Parcels' although I can't remember what time of it left.

How about the 0639 Blisworth - Redhill, or WTT successor once certain lines had been eliminated? Certainly 55 is right for that.

Archived