Bachmann announce Class 101 DMU

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I understood these units (LNER 1937 electrics) were disposed of in the mid 1950s being replaced by 2EPBs.

The "Tyneside EPB" units, which migrated to the SR after the Tynside lines were de-electrified dated from 1955 (some sources suggest 1954), were used on the South Tyneside lines.  

Class 101 units entered service from 1956.  The photo is dated 1960.

The North Tyneside lines as shown retained some of the older units until 1967 when all routes were converted to DMU operation.

Edited by Gwiwer

That was more common than you might think Michael.

I also remember some, (if not all), the units had a small handle inside, above the screen to facilitate manual wiping. I was at the front of a Cravens unit in the early 80's from Scarborough to Bridlington and the poor driver had to keep standing up to give the wipers a quick sweep.....

The service continued to Hull where I'd expect the unit was taken out of use and the defect repaired.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

Whats interesting about that one (and will need to be double checked by anyone doing it) is that im pretty sure the treatment of the black areas was not the same at either end.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

101s did appear at Cambridge on the Cambridge /Royston shuttle in the mid 80s - but I suspect that's too late for 00ERmissus

And on the Cambridge/King's Lynn shuttles (as three car units) during the electrification process 88 (ish)-92. They were in NSE too!

Andy G

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe it's probably about 6 months away, it's just at the EP stage.

Thanks for the update Andy. On my list of must haves and other than my B17 purchase there has been little new to buy recently.