Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Peter Chrichtons video has left me seriously underwhelmed with this 2-4-2T now though. Off-centre driving wheels have not gone down well.

Not just you Larry! The crew would soon declaire that one unfit for work -even before the days of health & Safety!

Serious question for everyone who has one -is this a one off or are eccentric wheels a common problem?

Tony

Tony

Peter Chrichtons video has left me seriously underwhelmed with this 2-4-2T now though. Off-centre driving wheels have not gone down well.

Pitching is always a possibility with rigid 2-axle drivers and lightly sprung carrying axles fore and aft. Sprung drivers would help 'absorb' wheel eccentricities, although at the risk of making the tractive weight far more problematic.

Edited by Miss Prism

I checked my one and the wheels  do grind the rail  slightly when I run it by my usual method of testing ie a finger stuck in front while running fast to see how much wobble .no wobble but something is just a tad out of  true to make that noise .It doesnt while running without the finger stuck in front !!!.Really scientific testing  in this house no cheapskate rollers .:-)

Pitching is always a possibility with rigid 2-axle drivers and lightly sprung carrying axles fore and aft. Sprung drivers would help 'absorb' wheel eccentricities, although at the risk of making the tractive weight far more problematic.

With respect, this has now't to do with pitching, which is something one encounters when running if the leading carrying wheels aren't doing their job properly. I was referring to the up and down movement of the loco where the rotary motion of the driving wheels is not concentric.

Mine seems to run OK, but as I'm re-wheeling it to EM I'm not too worried, apart from sourcing correct size (& spokes!) of course!  :locomotive:

Having never re-wheeled a Bachmann loco, what exactly is involved in re-wheeling one say using Romford/Markit driving wheels? For instance, are the axles 1/8" and is the gear wheel re-used off the Bachmann axle? Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

My sound fitted loco will be on the Digitrains stand on Sunday at Warley if you want to hear it in the flesh metal plastic so to speak.

The project will be available to buy on a Zimo sound decoder from them, it is not my project I was the beta tester for the friend who built it.

With respect, this has now't to do with pitching, which is something one encounters when running if the leading carrying wheels aren't doing their job properly. I was referring to the up and down movement of the loco where the rotary motion of the driving wheels is not concentric.

Yes, I can see the distinction you're making, Coach, but in this case we have an eccentric driver(s) and the carrying wheels not carrying as much weight as the prototype did (for understandable model tractive reasons), so the overall effect (the pitching) amounts to the same.

Yes, I can see the distinction you're making, Coach, but in this case we have an eccentric driver(s) and the carrying wheels not carrying as much weight as the prototype did (for understandable model tractive reasons), so the overall effect (the pitching) amounts to the same.

The loco is on rollers so it wouldn't matter if the non-carrying wheels were absent altogether. It is NOT pitching........I guess you havent seen it.

I'd never even thought about these terms being applied to a locomotive, but I think that were it a boat you'd say it was pitching and rolling - look at the motion of the cab handrails. Would one eccentric driver produce that effect?

Edited by bluebottle

Coachman asks about rewheeling Bachmanns with Markit wheels.  Bachmann normally have 3mm axles which are available to fit Markit wheels.  And refit the Bachmann gear wheel.  But strange axle diameters have appeared recently on some rtr.  For example 2mm on the Hornby T9 when Hornby have previously used 1/8" axles.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I'd never even thought about these terms being applied to a locomotive, but I think that were it a boat you'd say it was pitching and rolling - look at the motion of the cab handrails. Would one eccentric driver produce that effect?

You clearly have never ridden through the pre 1967 layout at Friars Jcn on a Brush Type 4 - where the term 'rolling' was something of an understatement :O  (but it was quite alright on a Hymek).

• Like 1

Coachman asks about rewheeling Bachmanns with Markit wheels.  Bachmann normally have 3mm axles which are available to fit Markit wheels.  And refit the Bachmann gear wheel.  But strange axle diameters have appeared recently on some rtr.  For example 2mm on the Hornby T9 when Hornby have previously used 1/8" axles.

Mike

Yes Mike, they usually do have.  Haven't investigated this one yet, but I'm sure I can find something to fit it!     In some ways kit and scratchbuilding  is so much easier..................... ;)

The loco is on rollers so it wouldn't matter if the non-carrying wheels were absent altogether. It is NOT pitching........I guess you havent seen it.

In Wigan (L&Y) speak it would not be either oscillating or pitching, it would either be "Urching" (small movement) or "Thrutching" (big movement). !!

Brit 15 (The Brits Glided !!)

Edited by APOLLO

Mike Riley, on 21 Nov 2013 - 16:15, said:

Coachman asks about rewheeling Bachmanns with Markit wheels. Bachmann normally have 3mm axles which are available to fit Markit wheels. And refit the Bachmann gear wheel. But strange axle diameters have appeared recently on some rtr. For example 2mm on the Hornby T9 when Hornby have previously used 1/8" axles.

Mike

Hold on there!!

All Bachmann steam loco releases from the 3F have 2.14mm diameter axles........Markits are not an option as they do not do the correct diameter axles.

Hornby still use 3mm in their current releases from the rebuilt Merchant Navy, up to and including the recent Star....the T9 being the only odd one as you point out.

If it is a loco with 3mm axles......then yes, Markits wheels are an option.

Mine has not arrived yet.....but I would be surprised if it had anything but 2.14mm axles and the separate brass bushes.

The Alan Gibson website has (under the "Downloads" heading) PDF guides on re wheeling several recent r-t-r locos. Pictures and notes.

Hope that helps.

Edited by pete55

Hold on there!!

All Bachmann steam loco releases from the 3F have 2.14mm diameter axles........Markits are not an option as they do not do the correct diameter axles.

Hornby still use 3mm in their current releases from the rebuilt Merchant Navy, up to and including the recent Star....the T9 being the only odd one as you point out.

If it is a loco with 3mm axles......then yes, Markits wheels are an option.

Mine has not arrived yet.....but I would be surprised if it had anything but 2.14mm axles and the separate brass bushes.

The Alan Gibson website has (under the "Downloads" heading) PDF guides on re wheeling several recent r-t-r locos. Pictures and notes.

Hope that helps.

Ok, well that was the danger of making predictions!

Having got my hands on one at Warley, and persuaded the owner to let me borrow it Saturday night, I took it apart in the hotel room, and surprise, its on 3mm diameter axles running it very neat brass bearings. Wonder if this means Bachmann have returned to 3mm diameter as their future standard.

Also discovered the leading and trailing wheels pick up as well as all four driving wheels. One wheel of each of the radial axles is live to its axle, one side at the front and t'other side at the rear, and passes the current to the main pick up strips in the keeper plate....a very neat arrangement. Oh, and if you decide to remove the keeper plate....beware.....the radial truck springs can fly out!

Many thanks to Bob Blood for allowing me to discover this!