Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Inevitable,isn't it?  Not a million miles from Shildon.The way of the world. Nearly 100% mark up less e-bay fees. From a purely academic point of view,it will be interesting to see what it makes. If it goes the way of  the Wainwright 'C',in a peculiar kind of way.Locomotion Models will be satisfied that they have done their homework.Still makes me feel uncomfortable,though.There will,of course,be those who will applaud it as free market enterprise.I am not among them.

The Ebay reselling price might appear to be excessive, it does beg the question should Locomotion use an auction pricing model for their commissions?  :devil:

(lights blue paper and runs).

I think it shows they could have produced more for sale. The same applies to the Wainwright C it seems ?

It may also imply that the price was too low.

However, another batch may sell well. I was very tempted to buy one - but not at Ebay prices.

So was I as it looks a lovely model & the price was ok as well.

I was too late when I went about it but that's life.

If they bring out another batch I will get one.

Edited by amdaley

• RMweb Gold

The Ebay reselling price might appear to be excessive, it does beg the question should Locomotion use an auction pricing model for their commissions?  :devil:

Not a silly idea, but charities and risk are somewhat at odds as concepts.

I cannot like the person who is attempting to make money from the ebay sale because this is a hobby, and I see a clear distinction between commercial gain by manufacturers, be they Hornby or one-man-band, and this individual, who will either double his money or be left with a lovely model. Send the boys round, I say.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have no particular problem with E Bay sales like this.

Its their loco so they can ask whatever they want for it.

I'm sure some desperate person with more money than sense will buy it.

I know It won't be me.  :biggrin_mini2:

There is only one issue with that.There are quite a few disappointed GENUINE purchasers would would have given their eye teeth for it and who did not realise that it was already too late due to profiteers like our mutual friend on e-bay stalking in the wings. Sure,it's their own fault,I know but galling to see this happening. Is it not?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it shows they could have produced more for sale. The same applies to the Wainwright C it seems ?

No,they gauged it correctly.Bachmann's magic number is 504 .This is a charity run on tight finances.They simply need stock to turnover and not be sitting on shelves. All gone=secure profit.

No,they gauged it correctly.Bachmann's magic number is 504 .This is a charity run on tight finances.They simply need stock to turnover and not be sitting on shelves. All gone=secure profit.

You're right.

I forgot about the 504 number.

There is only one issue with that.There are quite a few disappointed GENUINE purchasers would would have given their eye teeth for it and who did not realise that it was already too late due to profiteers like our mutual friend on e-bay stalking in the wings. Sure,it's their own fault,I know but galling to see this happening. Is it not?

That's something we can do nothing about as long as the numbers available are limited.

If they buy the models only for profit & have no interest in the hobby itself then I hope they get stuck with them.

But we all know that won't happen as someone will always buy even at inflated prices.

Maybe someone should offer him the retail price  :yes:

I just did £95  :sungum:

Edited by amdaley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's something we can do nothing about as long as the numbers available are limited.

If they buy the models only for profit & have no interest in the hobby itself then I hope they get stuck with them.

But we all know that won't happen as someone will always buy even at inflated prices.

Maybe someone should offer him the retail price  :yes:

I just did £95  :sungum:

Good .Someone will pay him overt the odds,though

You might like to know that Locomotion Models are aware of the situation and are in touch with e-bay over copyright issues.

I hope this individual and others like him will have their wings clipped as a result.

• RMweb Gold

I honestly don't think it would work - except for the final handful.  Auction prices tend to set their own level, reserves apart, and what might sell for big bucks the first time will gradually reduce in price every time another one is offered as the buyers with the cash to beat each other into the ground are taken out of teh picture having bought their example.  And if you're auctionng 500 of exactly the same thing it could go very pear shaped for the seller.

Good .Someone will pay him overt the odds,though

You might like to know that Locomotion Models are aware of the situation and are in touch with e-bay over copyright issues.

I hope this individual and others like him will have their wings clipped as a result.

Good to hear Locomotion are aware of the situation but I don't expect anything will happen on foot of any complaint to E bay.

I honestly don't think it would work - except for the final handful.  Auction prices tend to set their own level, reserves apart, and what might sell for big bucks the first time will gradually reduce in price every time another one is offered as the buyers with the cash to beat each other into the ground are taken out of teh picture having bought their example.  And if you're auctionng 500 of exactly the same thing it could go very pear shaped for the seller.

The problem here is that sellers like this one will have only one or two examples to sell & those examples will be snapped up quickly so leaving them with a big profit.

Sorry I misread you post & thought you were talking about the E bay seller. 

Edited by amdaley

• RMweb Gold

The NRM should consider a second run of this loco as it has proved so popular, all that restricting the number does if fuel those who want to make a quick buck on eBay.

The NRM wants to raise funds, this loco could potentially help raise even more, if there is a demand surely isn't it common sense to supply it and the NRM cash in on it and not quick buck ebayers!

The NRM should consider a second run of this loco as it has proved so popular, all that restricting the number does if fuel those who want to make a quick buck on eBay.

The NRM wants to raise funds, this loco could potentially help raise even more, if there is a demand surely isn't it common sense to supply it and the NRM cash in on it and not quick buck ebayers!

I would agree with your thoughts on the matter but for Locomotion the next order number would have been 1008 because as someone mentioned Bachmann has a minimum order of 504 or multiples of that number, if I understand it correctly ?

Would they sell that many ?

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with your thoughts on the matter but for Locomotion the next order number would have been 1008 because as someone mentioned Bachmann has a minimum order of 504 or multiples of that number, if I understand it correctly ?

And even with Bachmann's acknowledged greater control over matters Chinese than some manufacturers, it seems unlikely such a batch could be made in less than 18 months or more. If only half the batch then sold, Mr Micawber would not approve.

• RMweb Gold

And that,of course,is the crux of the matter.Yes,you do understand it correctly.In their position,I would think,ok,we've judged it correctly,now let's move on to our next project with the money in our coffers which is a much-needed cash boost.

• RMweb Gold

It's a nice idea but contractually flawed. Part of the sales pitch of a model like this is the fact that it is a collectors' limited edition. Bring out a second batch and those that have bought one from the first batch have grounds for complaint.

504 is not a magic number - just a minimum that Bachmann will work to. NRM could have ordered a batch of 1008, 1512 or whatever. But they chose to limit their risk and look after cashflow.

The" fair" way to sell it is to start at the price it was originally sold at .Its then up to the buyer to make their own decision which of course they do when they pay nearly double. anyway  Personally I  would sell it for what i thought I could get .Its called business and isnt illegal or low practice .No-one sells their house  or car for less money than all the others unless it has problems or the owner is desperate  .Cant see why anyone gets their knickers in a twist about it . :-)

• RMweb Gold

The" fair" way to sell it is to start at the price it was originally sold at .Its then up to the buyer to make their own decision which of course they do when they pay nearly double. anyway  Personally I  would sell it for what i thought I could get .Its called business and isnt illegal or low practice .No-one sells their house  or car for less money than all the others unless it has problems or the owner is desperate  .Cant see why anyone gets their knickers in a twist about it . :-)

I think there is an important distinction between buying a nice car or house and then selling it on when the time comes, and buying a model like this, never even opening the box, and then doubling your money almost overnight. I believe the word profiteering has a place here.