Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

That's a very good idea. Alan (60091)'s "Settle and Carlisle" N gauge layout has derelict buildings on a couple of parts of his hillside. I plan to enclose part of the fiddle yard at the opposite end to the viaduct and, if possible, build an old sheep-shed or equivalent there. We'll see.

OK, CGL - you're fired. Get back to being "Old Lune"!  :nono:

Jeff

NO, I RESIGNED :nono: so you can't fire me, :beee:  I will take tihis to a tribunal or somfin? :drag:

OL :sungum:

• Like 1

AndyP 265 / AndyG (uax6) 185 / Jason (Sandside) 151 / Jonathan (Rowsley17D) 121 / Mike (Stationmaster) 99 / Larry (Coachmann) 95 / MichaelW 92 / Peter (Western Sunset) 77 / Robmcg 69 / Bill (Mythocentric) 59 / Polly (southern42) 55 / Mike (mike61680) 54 / Jim (aberdare) 52 / Scott (jukebox) 51 / gordonS 47 / ChrisN 41 / John (Allegheny1600) 41 / James (peachjames) 38 / Al (Schubert) 32 / Billyb_imp 30 / Ian Wales 28 / 'Chard 27 /

And there was me thinking I hadn't posted much since the last count...

Re- hill heights - I'm sure you talked about having 6' of hillside reaching back over the fiddle yard, is this still the plan, or are you going to stop the hillside before the fiddle yard so access to it is easier?

And a silly thought for the fiddle yard - have you considered a re-stocking siding - a length of track reasonably separated from the rest (though connected) so you can swap stock off and on the track without having to reach over / around the trains already sat in the fiddle yard?  I suspect it's a bit late and you've already planned for that with the track spacings in the fiddle yard...

• RMweb Premium

And there was me thinking I hadn't posted much since the last count...

Re- hill heights - I'm sure you talked about having 6' of hillside reaching back over the fiddle yard, is this still the plan, or are you going to stop the hillside before the fiddle yard so access to it is easier?

And a silly thought for the fiddle yard - have you considered a re-stocking siding - a length of track reasonably separated from the rest (though connected) so you can swap stock off and on the track without having to reach over / around the trains already sat in the fiddle yard?  I suspect it's a bit late and you've already planned for that with the track spacings in the fiddle yard...

Some good points - AS USUAL - Michael. 

Yes, the hillside didn't quite reach 5'. I think I'd planned for a much steeper slope. I WILL raise the hillside about 15cm higher, and "fold" it over the line at the point where the main and branch tunnels enter the fiddle yard. But I quite like the clean, clear access to the yard - and I won't have to install lighting!

By the time I'm finished, I reckon the main hillside will be a smidge under 5'. I'm quite pleased cos I'm only a small fellow!

And yes, you are heading towards your century!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

It looks like I'm going to have to post more :senile:  to make it onto the list :laugh:

Duncan - Very Junior Learning Lune

Someone coming up behind me.  Just brilliant, Duncan.  Keep them posts coming.

Hope I get time to read them all.

Polly (reached the over 50s) Lune

Edit: Short n sweet - got distracted by a certain video by AP.  Doh.

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Talking of heights - did you all look at that incredible layout - in the Layouts section (titled "Part of the Great Escape...") - where the guy goes through the kitchen floor and works in an operating height of FOUR FEET!!?

Talk about claustrophobic. Quite remarkable though.

Jeff

Just typical of work, I can't see any of the pictures humph!

Being a tall lanky thing, I can't think what it must be like... oh hang on, it must be like changing a gearbox on a minor with the engine in and lying on a gravel drive.... Dam uncomfortable!

It would appear that I'm fast becoming the third in command of Luneyness, that's a worry! My Mrs has now christened this thread as Facebook for Wierdos! I keep telling her that I'm not wierd, I'm eccentric!

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And a silly thought for the fiddle yard - have you considered a re-stocking siding - a length of track reasonably separated from the rest (though connected) so you can swap stock off and on the track without having to reach over / around the trains already sat in the fiddle yard? I suspect it's a bit late and you've already planned for that with the track spacings in the fiddle yard...

That sir, is a very good idea, which would have never occured to me. It could be furnished with those plasticy things that are supposed to make getting things onto the track easy....

BTW Jeff are you going to stick with tension lock couplings?

Andy

(excited as my thread is now on it's second page!)

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

It looks like I'm going to have to post more :senile:  to make it onto the list :laugh:

Duncan - Very Junior Learning Lune

Yes - MUST try harder!!

Someone coming up behind me.  Just brilliant, Duncan.  Keep them posts coming.

Hope I get time to read them all.

Polly (reached the over 50s) Lune

Edit: Short n sweet - got distracted by a certain video by AP.  Doh.

Yes, if you haven't seen it - go to Andy's Trebudoc and watch his latest video. VERY nice indeed!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

An index, list of contributors with there post count, with all that work its a wonder you have time to do any work down the bunker

Ah, but Monday was a "day off". Just reading, sitting and scheming!

Just got back from the wood merchant with the car loaded up with wood and a bit of ply. Coffee, breakfast and into the bunker - heater's on!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That sir, is a very good idea, which would have never occured to me. It could be furnished with those plasticy things that are supposed to make getting things onto the track easy....

BTW Jeff are you going to stick with tension lock couplings?

Andy

(excited as my thread is now on it's second page!)

You'll be even more excited if you get home and find the SMP has been delivered!

I've no problem accessing all areas of the fiddle yard - maximum reach is less than 60cm. So I'll leave it as it is. As for the couplings - I'll probably start changing them when I'm up-and-running. Anything to make uncoupling easier.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Funny enough I don't mind tension locks, the old style Mainline ones are ones I buy when I see them, and one which I intend to standardise. When I was a lad, I discovered that by putting a trackpin through the bit that hangs down below the hoop, you could use a piece of wire in the 4 foot to uncouple. Not good for shunting, but useful for engine release etc. Kept both hooks though, don't like having to have everything facing the same direction all the while.

I'll be surprised as we haven't had any mail for 3 days!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, one question pleases Sir if I may, will the hill top be tree lined or barren and moorland?

P.S. THanks for the video plugs.    DO I get a Gotcha Oscar for that one?

OL. :sungum:

I do like trees, but there aren't many on a typical S&C hillside - unless it's had one of the dreaded conifer plantations imposed on it.

If I did decide to go with trees, I'd need LOTS of them. I made about 150 for the last layout, but I'm afraid none of them would be acceptable quality for KL. So I think I'll buy a few "specimens" for the station area and the hillside will be mostly devoid of them.

I'll be working from photographs, so it could be interesting.

And yes, your hand got a "Best Supporting Limb" Oscar for it's brief appearance when uncoupling the loco. "Best Male Actor" was the guy inside the engineering Shed!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Definitely keep the hills tree-less, otherwise it'll lose that S&C look. What you want to try and represent is tussocks of grass, stone walls, openness, marshes, etc.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, Unlike the "other" Andy I dislike rtr couplings. You would think with the advances in rtr stuff somebody would have come up with something better by now. On my last layout coaches were in close-coupled sets using the Keen system and wagons used 3-links with 3 or 4 wagons in a set. Both coach and wagon sets and locos had tension couplings at their ends. For my next layout I am considering the Dingham system. At least it looks more the part and fits where a coupling should fit. I may have already mentioned this several hundred posts ago, so I don't mind if this is not counted towards my total!!

• RMweb Premium

What I dislike about the tension locks is there size (the mainline ones are a hundred time better than the old Hornby ones), and also the fact that the buffers are held so far apart. The bar needs to be set just infront of the head, and the hook needs to be just longer than the thickness of the two rubbing plates, so that the vehicles don't pull apart too much.

I would go the 3-link route if I didn't have soo many things to convert and you have to be very careful about propelling moves, so that you don't get buffer locking.

Couplings tend to be a compromise.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Unlike the "other" Andy I dislike rtr couplings. You would think with the advances in rtr stuff somebody would have come up with something better by now. On my last layout coaches were in close-coupled sets using the Keen system and wagons used 3-links with 3 or 4 wagons in a set. Both coach and wagon sets and locos had tension couplings at their ends. For my next layout I am considering the Dingham system. At least it looks more the part and fits where a coupling should fit. I may have already mentioned this several hundred posts ago, so I don't mind if this is not counted towards my total!!

Jonathan - who can remember what was said several HUNDRED posts ago - even if it was only last WEEK!!!!!!!

I'll investigate couplings when all the major stuff is sorted.

I've just come in from an hour or so in the bunker. More fun - some photos later....

Jason - quite agree. S&C is open land with scrub, vegetation etc. I HATE those conifer plantations.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Bit late coming in on this one, but, it would represent the area better without trees,

Could save you some work and money as well.

Duncan - Late Lunester

No problem Duncan. You're just another sensible voice. I like trees, but this is the S&C!! If I filled KL with trees it'd be like modelling Kings Cross as a BLT!!

I've just done my daily dose of exercise. Hard work, but helped by the driving beat of some Deep Purple! Cup of coffee then it's back to the bunker for a few hours.

Btw, I looked at your thread yesterday. Hope you get sorted out soon - someone like you should be in demand. I haven't yet figured out what the red brick construction is, though...

Jeff

Putting in my ore over couplings, :scratchhead:

I HATE RTR COUPLINGS WITH A PASSION :nono:

If you go for three link on fixed rakes that is easy and cheap, you can buy the chain by the length and ALL new Bachmann wagons have the hook, just pull out the RTR coupling from the NEM socket and keep one normal one at each end for coupling onto locos. :beee:

For coaching stock KEEN looks the best but I have never tried them, again keeping a normal coupling at one end. The tail coach should be finished with a corridor blank and a Tail Light, DCC if poss :O .

I love Kadee BUT NOT on the front of steam locos, although I do have them on my 3MTfor shunting. :senile:

Stiring the Lunester till he is thick and creamy :sungum: 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well the exciting news is that the postman has failed to deliver the track. ;-{

Anyway I'm a bit of a way away from tracklaying!

There used to be a coach joining system that was whitemetal and had hoses and coupling all as one casting, it looked quite good. Bet you can't get it now though.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

This is the first part of what I've done today. It's 4.30 pm, so I'll do another hour or so later.

First, I've added extension pieces to the back of both hill sections and a few front extensions to the nearer section - to give a bit more "variation"...

post-13778-0-04486800-1359477392_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-00678900-1359477402_thumb.jpg

This is the view from the fiddle yard now. Still easily accessible...

post-13778-0-16327700-1359477456_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2