Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

I just did a post and it has got lost out in the abiss somewhere? anyway I have been out at our Club, come in and there is loads to read and enjoy,

this really is a great Chatroom :O  sorry :no:

Old Lune. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I'd still do perhaps 1-2cm of internal tunnel walling and paint the trackwork black beyond that for a short stretch. It'd be nice to see some shots of 9fs, Brits, etc emerging from the tunnel depths.

Peter

Keep an eye on what happens tomorrow. I'm currently looking at those photos planning out how to juggle the portal, short embankment and surrounding hillside. I think I'll be ok to squeeze 3-4cm of internal tunnel. The portal isn't being fixed in the next day or so, but I'll have a good idea of what I can achieve when I start building!

Jeff

Jason - that is an excellent idea. I'm going to insert the tag "Lunester layout" amongst my other tags - if I can remember how to do it.... I think I have to edit post 1. Right, off to give it a try!

Jeff

I have done mine too, ********ster's of the world unite via the tag buttons

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To all the Lunesters,

What is very impressive at the moment is the number of layout threads you've got going.

If KL serves as a central hub for ideas and coordination then that is fantastic. Anyone that doesn't like it can either stick to the Index or look somewhere else.

I'm learning new stuff all the time. Whether it's from AndyP with his scenics, Jason with his buildings or Peter, Chris etc with the embankments. Great stuff!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I see you've been busy again.  You're making good progress with those hillsides, even if you are creating a world shortage of plaster in doing so ;)

Despite having a day off due to catching another lurgy, I've not managed to do anything of note, other than to pick up a coach from the post office, and wishing I had a layout large enough to give my trains a decent run...

I think I agree with Peter - tweaking the tunnel mouth away from the points a little would be a good idea.  And I think you're going to have to put some extra sleepers in the gaps in the tunnel mouth.  

Edited to say:  Lots of posts appeared whilst I wasn't typing this, and you seem to have answered my thoughts already...

Edited by MichaelW

• RMweb Premium

More than anything else, the Lunester Layout tag gets rid of the 'Jin Peng Cab Ride' thread that always appeared below :)

It does seem to be working well though, as I see yours and Billy's threads tagged at the bottom of my thread now.

As for a tidy workplace, whilst I am modelling, it looks like a bomb has hit but I try to tidy up at the end of each day. I recently bought a few storage boxes from Rymans and now have one with all my paints in, another full of Plastikard (sorted into all the different embossed types,  different thicknesses of plain, clear, etc), another box for flux and other assorted chemicals, one for Microstrip (almost a shoebox full of the stuff), one with my soldering irons and assorted gubbins in and most importantly, two toolboxes.

Then there is the large box full of scenic items, another full of buildings from my old layout, one full of ancillary items (people, benches, barrels, other detailing bits and bobs), another for my kits-on-the-waiting-list (a chassis, two Phoenix LMS Push-Pull coaches that I am scared to start, one etched brass, one Parkside hopper and two Cambrian Salmon Bogie Bolster wagons) and another full of spare point motors and other electrical stuff.

Then there are the small tins (mainly ex sweetie tins) that contain things like brass bearings, spare couplings, track & B2B gauges, spare blades (I get through a lot of them).

Not to mention the tub full of the various glues I use (PVA, Mek-Pak, 2 types of Super glue, UHU, Evo-Stick, Araldyte, etc), or the old coffee mug full of paint brushes.

So basically, even when the attic / office / modelling room is tidy, it is still crammed to the rafters with boxes full of the necessities of modelling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I see you've been busy again.  You're making good progress with those hillsides, even if you are creating a world shortage of plaster in doing so ;)

Despite having a day off due to catching another lurgy, I've not managed to do anything of note, other than to pick up a coach from the post office, and wishing I had a layout large enough to give my trains a decent run...

I think I agree with Peter - tweaking the tunnel mouth away from the points a little would be a good idea.  And I think you're going to have to put some extra sleepers in the gaps in the tunnel mouth.

Oh bug*er!!! I forgot about those - hell, I hadn't noticed the obvious!! Michael - do you remember that your first posts on KL were about filling-in gaps in the sleepers?

Cheers, I'll be onto that one in a day or so!

Cheers Scott - Stockrington duly on my list!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason - I've got TONS of storage space under the layout and need to organise it. I think when all the wood cutting has finished and I can thoroughly clean the place, I'll do so.

I've also got all the crap wonderful stuff from the old layout room to transfer before the sledge hammers move in. I'd better remember to remove the (expensive) Veismann lamps, the 8F and my class 09 before I start the demolition!

And I had that Jin Peng stuff too! What the hell was that all about? Mind you, I've now only one tag on KL - like you, LL.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Peter - that should be no trouble at all. I'll design the hillside to attach to the portal via the wing walls. That means the rear section is totally in the clear, so a system like the one you suggest should be easy to rig-up.

It's a shame that things got a bit tight at this point. It's the only place on the entire layout where several features have a convergence. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and Lunesters.....

Jeff

Oh bug*er!!! I forgot about those - hell, I hadn't noticed the obvious!! Michael - do you remember that your first posts on KL were about filling-in gaps in the sleepers?

Cheers, I'll be onto that one in a day or so!

Now you mention it, yes, they were weren't they.  They did a lot for the look of the station!  That does seem a long long time ago.  Perhaps I should get on with the layout I was starting to build back then...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now you mention it, yes, they were weren't they.  They did a lot for the look of the station!  That does seem a long long time ago.  Perhaps I should get on with the layout I was starting to build back then...

Umm - it was back in October/early November, I think. I didn't start tracklaying 'til mid October.....

That would have been about page FORTYish of the thread. This is page 151!!!!! What is going on? It's not as if we've created 2500+ posts of rubbish, is it?

Maybe I've created a MONSTER!! :O  :O Lol. 

Jeff

1960 21st jan St Enoch to St pan. Brit 70052 + BTK + 2nd + 2nd + comp + 2nd sleeper + 1st Sleeper + 1st sleeper+ brake van All mk 1's.

Sadly thats all I've got at the minute.....

Andy G

Greetings, Physicsman.

It might be inappropriate to model this exact, doomed service as I believe that it may have been the cause of the last major, fatal accident on the S&C. It was the 21.05 ex Glasgow and, sensing something amiss, the driver stopped at Garsdale in the early hours of the 22nd. to examine his locomotive. He somehow failed to notice that major components of the right-hand slidebar assembly were missing and decided to continue on to St. Pancras.

At Settle, the right-hand connecting rod, having been unrestrained by slidebars for some time, finally broke free from the piston rod and its little-end flailed the 'six foot' and adjacent down line on which a goods train was approaching. This down train was derailed and ploughed into the sleeper service killing five passengers.

Sorry to put a dampener on things. Finally, may I make a heartfelt plea for you to retain your charming feline avatar and not to reinstate the rather unnerving Herr Boltzmann?

Best wishes,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

Evening BR(W) - sounds very formal.... As you may have noticed, we don't do formal very well on here!

Last things first. No worries about the avatar. She was my delightful companion for the last 8 years of her life - I got her from a friend's ageing relative when the cat was 7 years old. I agree, she has much more charm than Herr Boltzmann!

Re. the train arrangement. Thanks for the info. Unless I'm in a suicidal mood and fancy a "death express" cameo, I shall ensure that the said configuration doesn't appear. Amazing what you learn on this thread, as I'm constantly saying!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I did tell you I got them from accident reports.... But the formation would be typical.

I've tagged my effort (once I'd worked out what you lot were going on about!) so no excuses!

Spent last night taking dimensions of boilers, I'm visiting a lathe today, so we'll see what rubbish I can turn up!

Agree that the tunnel will need lining for a bit, just to get it dark. It might be worth trying out painting the points inside the tunnel matt black (along with the trackbed etc) to see if that hides them, as you will be in your 'hole' taking lots of photos, won't you?

Andy

Morning Jeff,

Another of my silly ideas - is the wall by the viaduct original garage or a Jeff special?  If the former you may be able to move it out a little to gain a little room, and make it stronger in the process :jester:

Oh, and if you are taking pictures into the tunnel, you could always have a board to place across the back of the tunnel to make it a black hole - just remember to remove it before you start running trains again.  Alternatively, use a couple of layers of black bin liner plastic, cut into fronds, over the end of the cover - it won't knock stock off, but it will help block out any view of the fiddle-yard and wall behind.

Michael

Hi Jeff, I have just had a quick look as I am busy untill about late pm, due to Physio :O , Estate Agents calling and a few other  bits I won't bore you all with BUT can you let me know by PM if nessasarry how I ' STER ' my site, as the others have done? The one I want to do Glen Roy as that will be my current ling term project so maybe Glenster, or if you want Trebudoc it could be Trebster, BUT NOT A BLOO** CODSTER, :nono:  hahhahaaa

Old Lune :sungum:  

P.S yes I did rise to the BAIT and I thought you were FISHING for attention, so stop yer Whaleing turn on yer EELS and do so HAKE ing of yer hillside, sorry run out of fish CATCHES  hahaaaa

Salmonster

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks.

Andy - PM has been sent. Give me a PM back if it isn't helpful and I'll try again!!

Michael - the back wall is one I inserted, but it's certainly not moveable. I'll take the measures you've all suggested, but you can't see into the tunnel itself - due to its angle - even from the nearest point in the operating well. Only pictures from behind the viaduct will look into it. Nevertheless, when it's fitted in its final position it'll be duly blacked out.

AndyG - enjoy the lathe....was that a pun - "see what rubbish I can turn up"?  :jester:

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have just had a quick look as I am busy untill about late pm, due to Physio :O , Estate Agents calling and a few other  bits I won't bore you all with BUT can you let me know by PM if nessasarry how I ' STER ' my site, as the others have done? The one I want to do Glen Roy as that will be my current ling term project so maybe Glenster, or if you want Trebudoc it could be Trebster, BUT NOT A BLOO** CODSTER, :nono:  hahhahaaa

Old Lune :sungum:  

P.S yes I did rise to the BAIT and I thought you were FISHING for attention, so stop yer Whaleing turn on yer EELS and do so HAKE ing of yer hillside, sorry run out of fish CATCHES  hahaaaa

Salmonster

Its fairly quite here, maybe Jeffs on exam duty or handing out more of his impressive knowledge to those about to sit the exam, hope he's not doing them both at the same time, that would cheating, so he would be a cheatster but I think not.

If we did these ****sters on names you could be drewster I could be billster, 

• RMweb Premium

I've just noticed that Jason's "Bacup" is no longer on my Tag list at the bottom of the screen - because the list only includes 5 layouts and more than 5 Lunesters have made the change.

Is there a way to see more than 5 listed layouts? If not, it's a bit annoying - especially when others also make the link.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It shows the 5 most recently updated lunester threads - I think you can search on tags to find them all, but can't remember where...

That's what I thought, but I know that Larry posted on Bacup just before midnight yesterday - as I was reading his comments. So Bacup should still be there.... Odd.

Jeff