Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Ok,

A quick google has produced this http://www.lumea.co.uk/pages/oil-lamp-oil-for-candle-lamps-and-oil-candles.html, I take it thats the stuff?

Nice to have a bit of chemistry from Jeff too!

To keep it on topic, the lamps I'm referring to are ex-railway handlamps, one of which is ex GWR.

We always used them on bonfire night (very handy to light the spill for the fireworks!) I have used them a couple of times since for powercuts.

Andy

• Like 1

it merely functions to house the alarm clock and a candle in case of power cuts!  (How proactive is that?) 

Polly

I should point out that the candle rarely gets used as I have installed a UPS on the lighting circuit. Our house is now the only one in the village lit up like a Christmas tree when we get a power cut. As we are converted to energy efficient light bulbs we get about 4-5 hours out of it before the battery goes flat, usually enough time for power to be restored.

We also have an old miners lamp if things get desperate, don't know what it runs on though!

Ray.

BTW Jeff, the valley/hillside is coming on nicely.

Edited by tender

Hi Jeff, just had a read through and it is all possitive stuff, BUT one question for you my friend, :nono: How high is the top of the hill on the left of the viaduct (tunnel side) compared to you, I am not being funny but as it looks so high in the pics it would be good if it was eye line or just above, and then you would actually feel like you were in the valley and looking through it to the viaduct and UP to the tunnel mouth.

FAILING THAT SIT DOWN ON A LOW STOOL. :stinker:

Trusty Rust Old Lune :sungum:   P.S. excellent woodwork, :scratchhead:  do you want to do my next baseboards as well as my O Gauge 12ft Viaduct? :O

• RMweb Premium

Andy, you've raised a very good point about the heights. Without going out and measuring, this is what I reckon...

Heights are above floor level:

Base of viaduct                                                            80cm            (about 2' 8")

Top of viaduct/rail level on main boards                     110cm           (about 3' 8")

Top of hillside to left of viaduct                                   140cm           (about 4' 8")

Now I'm 168cm (5' 6") tall, so my eyeline is at about 5'2" - about 6" above the top of the hills. By the time I've finished, the hills will be 1-2" higher (I'll invoke a "Jeff tectonic shift"), so not much below eyeline.

What do you reckon?

As always, interesting perspectives Andy.

How long is the viaduct going to be? If I wasn't working on KL, I'd build it for you.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Since it's a quiet day, and I'm having a day off from the bunker (having spent about 35 hours in there over the last week), I thought I'd update the totals of Lunester posts. Not that larger (posts) means superior, I hasten to say.

So here are the totals for all Lunesters with 25 or more posts (upto and including post 3600):

AndyP 265 / AndyG (uax6) 185 / Jason (Sandside) 151 / Jonathan (Rowsley17D) 121 / Mike (Stationmaster) 99 / Larry (Coachmann) 95 / MichaelW 92 / Peter (Western Sunset) 77 / Robmcg 69 / Bill (Mythocentric) 59 / Polly (southern42) 55 / Mike (mike61680) 54 / Jim (aberdare) 52 / Scott (jukebox) 51 / gordonS 47 / ChrisN 41 / John (Allegheny1600) 41 / James (peachjames) 38 / Al (Schubert) 32 / Billyb_imp 30 / Ian Wales 28 / 'Chard 27 /

For reference, the nutty guy himself (me!) = 1670

Just a bit of fun, and it goes to show who the greatest "Lunes" are... but we knew that already, didn't we?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

Too late to mention now, I fear, but there's an ideal prototype embankment-free transition to viaduct for those of that persuasion (I am one).  It's the Farg viaduct to Glenfarg No.1 Tunnel on the NB's Perth Direct.

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm an NBR main line bore, but their heavy duty civils share a lot in common with the S & C, and it's always worth a shameless plug of those lost arteries.

Here's just one link that came to hand:

http://sites.scran.ac.uk/kestrel3d/communications/communications5d.html

EDIT: I meant to add - embankment-free transition between viaduct and tunnel!

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

Well pardon my ignorance but I have only just found out that "Lune" is a river & valley up your way, just Googled it & came up with loads of info

So your wonderful scenery is it the Vale of Lune, is their a Vale of Lune out there in reality land

And their was me thinking Lune or Lunesters had more do do with your state of mind (I suppose I could at least be partly right)

• RMweb Premium

Well pardon my ignorance but I have only just found out that "Lune" is a river & valley up your way, just Googled it & came up with loads of info

So your wonderful scenery is it the Vale of Lune, is their a Vale of Lune out there in reality land

And their was me thinking Lune or Lunesters had more do do with your state of mind (I suppose I could at least be partly right)

It's ok Billy, you are forgiven! And, of course, we are so crazy on this thread that Lune aka Loon has taken on the nutcase meaning! I think Larry first coined the phrase Loonie Kerbside when referring to the thread!

Yes, my layout is based on real places. Much of the station/goods area is based on the S&C prototype of Kirkby Stephen. I drive alongside the River Lune on my way to-and-from my dad's in Cumbria. So I thought KL sounded an appropriate name.

I've had a quiet day today. just winding-up for tomorrow. I need to have a peak at your thread - will have a look now.

Jeff

Just goes to show that there is some logic in that Lunacy somewhere.

Interesting to see the post count Jeff, almost 25% of my posts are on here, more than on my own I think, I'll have to check. Which reminds me is there some sort of counter on here that I have missed as I can't believe you are a Lune spotter and count how many times we come on.

I am just having a break on here as tiling is finally complete on the shed, Hoo-bl--dy-ray.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Just goes to show that there is some logic in that Lunacy somewhere.

Interesting to see the post count Jeff, almost 25% of my posts are on here, more than on my own I think, I'll have to check. Which reminds me is there some sort of counter on here that I have missed as I can't believe you are a Lune spotter and count how many times we come on.

I am just having a break on here as tiling is finally complete on the shed, Hoo-bl--dy-ray.

Jim

Jim - I wish there WAS a counter. Unfortunately, sad to say, I do a tally every 500 posts or so - for my own amusement. It takes ten minutes, so it's not onerous.

Talking of sheds, I've just been to look at Billy's thread. If you've tiled the shed in Hemyock I'll go and have a look. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Anything to avoid more wiring - I've done TONS, and there's a fair bit to do. But it's not really fun - unlike scenics!

Jeff

Crikey Jeff I was only joking about the numbers too, I know I like playing with numbers but I don't think I could go that far.

No post for me yet on Hemyock as I would like to complete the painting and a few details first, mind you it is about time I put something up or else people will think I've stopped altogether, maybe I should do weekend surprise like you. Well I would if I could, but I can't spare that much time on any day.

I've still got wiring to do, so a lot more than you once I start. But then again maybe not as I am using manual control but that in itself can be a lot of work. 

Most of my post are drivel anyway so you can't count them. :no:

I have had a busy day today, hence not nuch in the way of posts,      all will be revield on T in due corse I hope.

Don't have a go at me ,  :O           You started this dammed guessing game, :beee: hahahhaaaaaa

Can you tell what I am up to yet? :scratchhead:

Lune of Lunes :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Most of my post are drivel anyway so you can't count them. :no:

I have had a busy day today, hence not nuch in the way of posts,      all will be revield on T in due corse I hope.

Don't have a go at me ,  :O           You started this dammed guessing game, :beee: hahahhaaaaaa

Can you tell what I am up to yet? :scratchhead:

Lune of Lunes :sungum:

Yes. I think EITHER you've built the fiddle yard beyond the road-bridge OR you've started work on your viaduct.... :O

At least you've done some layout work. After the weekend I needed a breather!!

BUT - I'm going to get my wood tomorrow, so by lunchtime I should be back in the bunker cutting and having fun!! (I've got 10 rolls of plaster bandage on order, to add to what I can pick up locally...so that should get me started!).

Anyway Old Lune. Since you are still at the head of the Lunester list, I promote you to Captain-General Lunester. I hope you are very honoured!!!  :jester:

Jeff

Yes. I think EITHER you've built the fiddle yard beyond the road-bridge OR you've started work on your viaduct.... :O

Anyway Old Lune. Since you are still at the head of the Lunester list, I promote you to Captain-General Lunester. I hope you are very honoured!!!  :jester:

Jeff

WRONG :no:

AND I can't write all that every time I answer you, so it will have to be CGL   :nono:     hope that is O.K. :beee: . hahhahaaa

Old CGL :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

WRONG :no:

AND I can't write all that every time I answer you, so it will have to be CGL   :nono:     hope that is O.K. :beee: . hahhahaaa

Yep, that's fine. Well, I'll just have to wait to see what you do. What we DO know is that, at the rate you work, it'll be done quickly!! Umm, maybe another building in the foreground adjacent to the engineering shed?

In the meantime I'll count down the hours til I can get back in the bunker and think about the rest of the hillside...

Btw, hope you read my reply re. height of hills etc. earlier.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I have to say Jeff, as much as you obviously enjoy the scenic work, surely it would be better to do the wiring, testing, track painting and ballasting first as it will make it all much more difficult if there's a bloody great hill in the way!

• RMweb Premium

I see we have a fine collection of Lunesters at the bottom of the page.

For those not in the know, Old Lune has been upto something today - which he's not revealing.... tut, tut...

Btw, I wonder what some of the "serious, old school" modellers think of this thread. They probably think we're nuts... especially with the quality of Peter's last post! D'oh!!

Anyway folks, you'll be able to look at YET MORE pictures of WOOD tomorrow!

Jeff

Yep, that's fine. Well, I'll just have to wait to see what you do. What we DO know is that, at the rate you work, it'll be done quickly!! Umm, maybe another building in the foreground adjacent to the engineering shed?

In the meantime I'll count down the hours til I can get back in the bunker and think about the rest of the hillside...

Btw, hope you read my reply re. height of hills etc. earlier.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, Yes I did read it, not a bad height at all, It will certanly make you feel enclosed, i.e. down in the valley, On our club layout I have placed and old N Gauge Farm on the top of the hill surrounded by shrubs and small trees etc.  It really does give it some perspective and a sence of distance.

SOD THIS,   :stinker:   I resigne as CGL :O      , I am going back to OL,   :stinker:      HAHAHAAAAA ahahaaaeeeeeeeeeeee

• RMweb Premium

I have to say Jeff, as much as you obviously enjoy the scenic work, surely it would be better to do the wiring, testing, track painting and ballasting first as it will make it all much more difficult if there's a bloody great hill in the way!

I'm trying to mix it up a bit Jason. And the hill-former sections are still all moveable, so I can shift them out of the way when necessary.

I WILL have to do something at the viaduct end in the next few weeks. But the fiddle yard, of course, isn't being painted/ballasted. I'm easily tempted by playing choo-choos if I wire the yard, too!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Talking of heights - did you all look at that incredible layout - in the Layouts section (titled "Part of the Great Escape...") - where the guy goes through the kitchen floor and works in an operating height of FOUR FEET!!?

Talk about claustrophobic. Quite remarkable though.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, Yes I did read it, not a bad height at all, It will certanly make you feel enclosed, i.e. down in the valley, On our club layout I have placed and old N Gauge Farm on the top of the hill surrounded by shrubs and small trees etc.  It really does give it some perspective and a sence of distance.

SOD THIS,   :stinker:   I resigne as CGL :O      , I am going back to OL,   :stinker:      HAHAHAAAAA ahahaaaeeeeeeeeeeee

That's a very good idea. Alan (60091)'s "Settle and Carlisle" N gauge layout has derelict buildings on a couple of parts of his hillside. I plan to enclose part of the fiddle yard at the opposite end to the viaduct and, if possible, build an old sheep-shed or equivalent there. We'll see.

OK, CGL - you're fired. Get back to being "Old Lune"!  :nono:

Jeff

EDIT: Have a look at this:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47161-settle-carlisle-n-gauge-1979-1983/?hl=60091&do=findComment&comment=525403

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Watch out HS2 is coming????????? :O

OL :sungum:

So that's what you've been doing on Trebudoc. Yes Andy - a Beattie Well Tank shunting along as a 400kph German ICE goes flying through T station. What a naturally blending scenario....

Jeff