Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

My heart sank when I came on here just now at page 133 and I have all those pages ahead of me to 141.

F... that so if I've missed ow't you know why. I'm only here for the hillside!

Hi Larry. Yes, I don't know how we manage to discuss so much! It got to such a ridiculous state that I had to produce an Index - for MY own sanity!!

I've done a bit of work on the "valley". But have a look in tomorrow evening as it may have changed...I'm keeping quiet about what I'm upto this weekend!!

Jason - Andy's layout is excellent - I've looked at the thread a number of times. I bet you enjoyed it! I must say that I'm looking forward to having a play with AndyP's Trebudoc at some stage.

I'm relaxing looking at the Forum at the mo. I'm tempted to go out and do some more, but I don't want to overdo it. After all, standing in the bunker for 6 hours doing nothing isn't the most interesting pastime! Lol..... You KNOW I wouldn't do that...don't you?

Jeff

IVE GOT THE ANSWER,                 YOU HAVE BEEN STANDING ON YOUR HEAD DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :nono:              THINKING IT;S AN AUSSIE LAYOUT :boast:

Dizzie Lune :sungum:

P.S. I am enjoying playing this game,     sad ain't I.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

IVE GOT THE ANSWER,                 YOU HAVE BEEN STANDING ON YOUR HEAD DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :nono:              THINKING IT;S AN AUSSIE LAYOUT :boast:

Dizzie Lune :sungum:

P.S. I am enjoying playing this game,     sad ain't I.

Well, so far NOBODY has correctly guessed what I've done!! Sorry Andy, I've never been able to stand on my head. And it's a bit dangerous using a jigsaw in that position!!

Good to see some of the Lunesters contributing over the weekend. I'm doing some A level work tomorrow 'til noon, but after that it'll be full-steam ahead for a few hours.

Jeff

Well, so far NOBODY has correctly guessed what I've done!! Sorry Andy, I've never been able to stand on my head. And it's a bit dangerous using a jigsaw in that position!!

Good to see some of the Lunesters contributing over the weekend. I'm doing some A level work tomorrow 'til noon, but after that it'll be full-steam ahead for a few hours.

Jeff

Was there a clue in the Full Steam Ahead bit?

Anxsious of Swad :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

No, sorry Andy. That was deliberately put in to mislead!

Btw, the last few batches of emails you've sent me have been hilarious! Can I ask for a Timex? Lol.

I worry that people are going to be VERY disappointed when they see what I actually HAVE done...

Btw2... I WILL incorporate your cutting idea when I get the chance (I've probably said that already).

Jeff

• Like 1

Whilst you've been busy doing whatever it is that you are doing Jeff, I've been 'guest' operator on Andy C's New Hey at the Southampton exhibition for an hour; fantastic fun :)

Hey (New)! - Brilliant!

That's a great layout to guest operate on and the guys are very welcoming - did you get a drink for your troubles, though!

They'll have you in full 'Northern' flow, I'm sure!

Aha!

Now - I've got it!

Jeff's going all futuristic and is going to electrify the S&C!!

Daftly Deutsche!

• RMweb Premium

Pfft, I'm more Northern than them, 50 miles as the crow flies :)

Andy & co on New Hey are a great bunch and it was a real pleasure to be able to play for a while. To make Jeff jealous, one of the trains under my command was a 9F with a rake of about 30 mineral wagons behind it. I am still smiling now :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I hope Jeffs day is going better than mine! Got into work to just cut the celotex and glue it to the diorama, but have done calculations (I know at this time of the morning too!) and I need to apply a saw to the formwork, humph.

Off to find a screwdriver, and put the kettle on!

Andy

Well I have a couple of days away and come back to pages & pages of comments to go through and you come up with a new game "guess what Lord Lunester is doing".

Well you mention it would be dangerous to use a jig saw on your head, so, using the jig saw you've decide to make the layout transportable and are cutting it up into sections. All that time in the bunker as sent you gaga, or maybe keeping up with this thread its me that's going gaga.

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks. Frustrating at the mo - I want to go and do something but I'm helping a friend's son with his A level work 'til lunchtime. I'll do my best to get something done this afternoon!

Yes, Jason - that 9F sounds lovely!!

Billy - gaga - I've been gaga for years! Haven't you noticed?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well to keep the phsyics lesson on track, can't you illustrate each area to the boy with an example from the railways?

Andy

That's a good idea....

"A 9F, mass 94000kg, is pulling 50 anhydrite wagons, each of mass 4000kg, and a total load of 140 tonnes up an incline on the S&C. The land rises by 50m in every 6km. The loco is travelling at a steady 92km/h. Calculate...."

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a good idea....

"A 9F, mass 94000kg, is pulling 50 anhydrite wagons, each of mass 4000kg, and a total load of 140 tonnes up an incline on the S&C. The land rises by 50m in every 6km. The loco is travelling at a steady 92km/h. Calculate...."

Jeff

Jeff I think your tare weights are out a bit! A timber 4 wheel 3plank wagon is around 6T and the 9F is about 140T. 25T capacity for each wagon is a bit more than 140T (thats proper tons too Jeff!)

I'm sure that there are other examples you can use too. How about sight distance in fog for an oil lamp of a signal?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I think your tare weights are out a bit! A timber 4 wheel 3plank wagon is around 6T and the 9F is about 140T. 25T capacity for each wagon is a bit more than 140T (thats proper tons too Jeff!)

I'm sure that there are other examples you can use too. How about sight distance in fog for an oil lamp of a signal?

Andy G

Andy - it was a Physics question....do you expect the numbers to be accurate? Anyway, since the question then asked what colour was the driver's cap, the figures were irrelevant!!  :O

Anyway - it's 12.30 and I haven't done anything yet. Just finished the Physics. Cup of coffee and out with the cutting gear. It could be a late night. Lol. Actually, I bet none of you can spot what I've done.....hee, heee......

"Young" Lune

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The answer, of course, being that he wasn't wearing a cap!

I expect a full report on here so that I have something to read between trains tomorrow!

Andy G

(Only about 10 posts to go and KL is the most replied to thread. I hope we will get that sorted today fellow Lunes..)

• RMweb Premium

Update..... 2 hours of work completed today and I've reached about halfway to my target. Cutting wood is so much easier than teaching Physics!!

For those of you glued to your laptops in eager anticipation.... YOU ARE GOING TO BE VERY DISAPPOINTED!!

Cos I aint really done anything..... prompts mass resignations in the Lunester ranks!

Andy - photos on here at about 6pm (I hope).

Jeff

ps. Andy (uax) - you're right - we've almost caught Peterborough (in posts; only another 190,000 views needed....)

Hi Jeff

Please can we see these photo's, then I can go to bed because I've not slept for 2 days wondering what it is that you're doing!!

It's after 6pm and I'm glued to my computer in anticipation.

Chip (The quiet Lunester, but often to be found lurking in the background!)

• RMweb Premium

Bloomin' heck.... are you lot queing up, or what? I TOLD you, you will be very disappointed... I haven't really done much.

Ok, post number 1... 

There was a lot of discussion about fitting some embankments. I didn't think I could do it. but it WAS a good idea. So...

Here is the original left hand side of the valley, marked for the hatchet job...

post-13778-0-60089800-1359310894_thumb.jpg

Here is the hatchet job...

post-13778-0-61861900-1359310941_thumb.jpg

The valley is now about 30cm wider, so helping with the slope. The right hand side next to the viaduct has also been cut. The valley-centre risers have been extended and the stream direction is shown with a black arrow...

post-13778-0-98583900-1359311101_thumb.jpg

That was yesterday's bit of work.

Have you switched off yet!?

Jeff

• Like 5

That looks a lot better Jeff, the slope on the lefthand side seems to have a better flow to it as it joins the viaduct.

The extra width also enhances the view down the valley and the drop in levels of the stream will allow the stream to be modelled with some good falls over loose rocks or whatever you prefer.

Look forward to the next instalment now.

There is a difference and we will all notice it

Jim