Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

No time for bed - too many things to do!!!!

The second hillside section is now 90% coated in plaster:

post-13778-0-20820300-1359646092_thumb.jpg

Thoughts now turn to the end hillside section. Here is the tunnel portal sat in position...

post-13778-0-15804900-1359646105_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-44016100-1359646122_thumb.jpg

The portal isn't quite finished - it needs tidying up and painting. The hill section will be built around it, but the portal won't be fitted at this stage. Some inventive woodwork needed here, to fix the portal and the nearby embankment in place. I have ideas but these will be refined "on the spot" tomorrow!

Jeff

• Like 2

No time for bed - too many things to do!!!!

The second hillside section is now 90% coated in plaster:

Thoughts now turn to the end hillside section. Here is the tunnel portal sat in position...

The portal isn't quite finished - it needs tidying up and painting. The hill section will be built around it, but the portal won't be fitted at this stage. Some inventive woodwork needed here, to fix the portal and the nearby embankment in place. I have ideas but these will be refined "on the spot" tomorrow!

Jeff

Jeff

Once you have bandage / plaster in place do you remove the formers or do they stay, seems like a lot of weight but then I suppose you wont be moving it far

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Once you have bandage / plaster in place do you remove the formers or do they stay, seems like a lot of weight but then I suppose you wont be moving it far

Hi billy.

The wooden structure is an essential component of the hill. It would be impossible to remove the formers, even if I wanted to. Besides, the weight of plaster on each section of hill is considerable - probably about 80 Newtons (8kg of plaster) per metre section.

The other thing is that plaster is lovely when there's a load/weight on it. But it is very weak in tension and without the formers - which hold the bandage frame - a small knock would probably crack the entire structure. As it is, the metre sections are very strong and can be moved about with relative ease (they are just bulky, sizewise).

Last night I went and did a bit of dismantling of the old layout. I TRIED to remove some rock faces I'd made from a similar (but smaller) structure to the one I'm building. Even with a hammer and chisel it was such hard going I gave up. I'll make a batch of new rocks (for cliff faces) when they are needed.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy - sorry, I didn't see your earlier post until a minute ago.

Thank goodness the track has finally reached Outer Mongolia - and that you didn't run it over! I like SMP very much - nice sleeper spacing, though the thin sleepers seem odd at first. If you plan bending it, don't forget to cut the webbing!

Jeff

Hi billy.

The wooden structure is an essential component of the hill. It would be impossible to remove the formers, even if I wanted to. Besides, the weight of plaster on each section of hill is considerable - probably about 80 Newtons (8kg of plaster) per metre section.

The other thing is that plaster is lovely when there's a load/weight on it. But it is very weak in tension and without the formers - which hold the bandage frame - a small knock would probably crack the entire structure. As it is, the metre sections are very strong and can be moved about with relative ease (they are just bulky, sizewise).

Last night I went and did a bit of dismantling of the old layout. I TRIED to remove some rock faces I'd made from a similar (but smaller) structure to the one I'm building. Even with a hammer and chisel it was such hard going I gave up. I'll make a batch of new rocks (for cliff faces) when they are needed.

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for that swift answer, I hadn't realised the plaster would be anywhere near as heavy as that, maybe that also explains your building process, the whole lot seems as if its built like a brick out house

Hi Jeff,

Glad the link was useful, there are all sorts of other fascinating & useful pages on there, too. Google translate may be useful?

No, I'm not in Germany any more (back in NW UK) though sometimes I wish I was but will be in Greece before too long!

As an aside, thinking about any removable scenic sections you may have(?) a solution I have seen recently is to continue the scenic work (grass etc) completely around and over the joins so when the pieces are in place, the joins become much less noticeable.

Is this useful? Maybe for the valley section in front of the viadukt?

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Glad the link was useful, there are all sorts of other fascinating & useful pages on there, too. Google translate may be useful?

No, I'm not in Germany any more (back in NW UK) though sometimes I wish I was but will be in Greece before too long!

As an aside, thinking about any removable scenic sections you may have(?) a solution I have seen recently is to continue the scenic work (grass etc) completely around and over the joins so when the pieces are in place, the joins become much less noticeable.

Is this useful? Maybe for the valley section in front of the viadukt?

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks for the suggestion, John. What I plan to do is to build the hillside sections and for now leave them in separate sections and "au naturelle". I'll wait until I can fix some of them in place before I start to apply the grass etc. When that will be depends on when the wiring is completed.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, jus popped in for a quick look and the pics of the hillside are looking better by the day, good on yer.

I see from the pics that you have the two main ingrediants in the Bunker, namely the heater and the radio, all you need now are some CD's of Steam on the S & C and you wont need to do any more work for a while.

HA HA  Old Lune, :sungum:

P.S. I am now also an official Old Shedster, Old Hemster and Old Sandster, now how about that then :O  any more I can join?

• RMweb Premium

I think the SMP will take a bit of getting used to, no track pins to go near it! At the minute it will be dead striaght.

With regards to LuneFell, I think it might (even for the time being) be better if you blew over it with some colour. Maybe a browny grey? I know you will cover it, but it will help seal it and stop it absorbing moisture from the bunker. We don't want it getting soggy do we?

I'm looking forward to a bit of slopping around tomorrow (hopefully) but am unsure what SWMBO will think of the mess!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, jus popped in for a quick look and the pics of the hillside are looking better by the day, good on yer.

I see from the pics that you have the two main ingrediants in the Bunker, namely the heater and the radio, all you need now are some CD's of Steam on the S & C and you wont need to do any more work for a while.

P.S. I am now also an official Old Shedster, Old Hemster and Old Sandster, now how about that then :O  any more I can join?

Does that mean that if someone builds a layout called, for example, Codsdale, you'd become an Old Codger - or even an Old Codpiece?  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a cricket enthusiast, may I congratulate you on your "big ton". With recent rapid run rate, you will soon be on a double century and passing the East Coast upstarts.

Thanks Joseph! Sounds like your affinity lies more with the S&C than the ECML!!

Kirkby Luneside now has the most posts of any thread - we overtook Peterborough earlier in the week. However, it's been going longer so it's 265000 playing 70000 as far as views are concerned. Just a bit of fun!

As for personal posting. Well, you know yourself that the Forum is a wonderful place - and it's hard NOT to join in!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I think the SMP will take a bit of getting used to, no track pins to go near it! At the minute it will be dead striaght.

With regards to LuneFell, I think it might (even for the time being) be better if you blew over it with some colour. Maybe a browny grey? I know you will cover it, but it will help seal it and stop it absorbing moisture from the bunker. We don't want it getting soggy do we?

I'm looking forward to a bit of slopping around tomorrow (hopefully) but am unsure what SWMBO will think of the mess!

Andy

Andy: re. SMP. I never used a single track pin in all the track I laid. And you are correct about its resilience - it's tough, until you try to lift it after sticking it down with PVA. It then rapidly disintegrates! I've fixed all my SMP down with PVA - if I ever have to lift it, it'll be replaced.

I usually go down to B&Q and get them to mix me up a couple of tester cans of brown emulsion - it's a good base for the scenics. And far from getting soggy, the plaster becomes very dry. That's why any rocks made using plaster in moulds need to be painted shortly after moulding. If not, the dry plaster draws the moisture right out of acrylics' leaving a horrid flat colour. Older plaster can be "reactivated" by spraying with one of those plant misters, or equivalent.

The bunker is a pig-tip at the moment as there is so much going on. It needs a tidy. Go on, a bit of antagonism will give SWMBO the chance to flex her tonsils!!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi all Lunesters

You lot are infectious, I have been watching progress on all the various lune community layouts and thought it was about time I got started on mine, so I got a bit of tracklaying done in the loco storage area today, first bit of track laid for about 4 months!!!

In work now, and I've got engineering work and single line working tonight so plenty to keep me occupied in the small hours of the night.

Ian

Edited by ianwales
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had a brainwave. Well, more of a mindfart really.

If you look at my thread, you will see that the first (and only current) tag is Lunester Layout. If we all tag our layout threads with the same, then they will appear in the list below (e.g. the Also Tagged with..... list) so we can access each other's threads easier, which would be handy if one is referenced in Jeff's Chatroom. Sorry, Jeff's thread.

:D

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

You're going great there with them thar hills. Agree with others, keep posting the long shots, they're giving us a good 'feel' for the place. 

Not had a lot of time on RMweb this week - I've been tinkering with GWR in AnyRail - an 2ft extra sounded a good idea but it means the board joins will have to be moved and that means moving points...and.... Doh!

Will post efforts on GWR thread...eventually...

How about GWRoadster, Andy?  [Edit.  That carries the tag, "Official", too.]

Great Vest un Lune

Edited by southern42

snip *P.S. I am now also an official Old Shedster, Old Hemster and Old Sandster, now how about that then  :O  any more I can join?*

I think Hemster sounds a bit odd and could be confused with Hamster :O a bit like that Meerkat thingy. So no Hemster :no: I think it has to be in keeping with Jeffs river theme so as the river at Hemyock is the Culm, it's Culmster :yes: .

As for tagging I'd better read up on that to make sure I click the right buttons.

And lastly I prefer the wide angle shots too, it shows the full size off much better. we'll save the close-ups for the portal and other detail. As for the portal moving a touch to hide the points, I agree it could but then it looks awfully close to the Viaduct, but then again that's already been discussed in detail too. At the end of the day it's your choice as you are the one who knows what can be seen from where.

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jeff and all,

Things really moving at a rapid pace on KL it seems. Covering all that marvellous timberwork with some old plaster bandage and taking some wide angle shots has given a whole new aspect to the bunker.

I know what you mean by trying and failing to remove 'used' rocks from an old layout - it just does not work - does it!

I've still been far too busy to get much done on Dent so the dining room table still looks like your bunker! Thats before you tidy it ha-ha.

Love the wealth of information and ideas from the Lunesters, keep it up chaps.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Wow!! I've been doing the good deed, going through the basics of Alternating Current with a couple of students. I switch on here - and where do I start?

It's the "Lunester's Brigade" ... now I know what some of you mean when you refer to the number of posts.

I particularly like Jason's reference to Jeff's chatroom thread!!

Ok, I'd better consider a few replies - or maybe do them all in one post....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason - that is an excellent idea. I'm going to insert the tag "Lunester layout" amongst my other tags - if I can remember how to do it.... I think I have to edit post 1. Right, off to give it a try!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've had a brainwave. Well, more of a mindfart really.

If you look at my thread, you will see that the first (and only current) tag is Lunester Layout. If we all tag our layout threads with the same, then they will appear in the list below (e.g. the Also Tagged with..... list) so we can access each other's threads easier, which would be handy if one is referenced in Jeff's Chatroom. Sorry, Jeff's thread.

:D

Ok, I've done mine too. Anyone else in with this. It means a search on Lunester Layout will reference all our threads together. Great idea!

Jeff,

I'm even more convinced you're building a bomb-proof shelter rather than a model railway. Good disguise; even had me fooled for a while.

If it is a layout, I might move that tunnel mouth about a cm or so away from the point blades so that they aren't so visible.

Regards,

Peter

Yes Peter - you are right. I plonked the tunnel mouth down to take a photo so I can stare at the photo, rather than in the bunker, to plan the structural work. It's going to be over the viaduct and into the tunnel...quick. Also, because of the proximity of the curved points inside the tunnel I'm literally only having a portal with no internal tunnel. Thats ok since the angle of the tunnel means you have to be stood in the opposite corner of the bunker to see into it. Thanks again for your perceptive comment!

Hi Jeff and all,

Things really moving at a rapid pace on KL it seems. Covering all that marvellous timberwork with some old plaster bandage and taking some wide angle shots has given a whole new aspect to the bunker.

I know what you mean by trying and failing to remove 'used' rocks from an old layout - it just does not work - does it!

I've still been far too busy to get much done on Dent so the dining room table still looks like your bunker! Thats before you tidy it ha-ha.

Love the wealth of information and ideas from the Lunesters, keep it up chaps.

Cheers

Mike

Mike - I HATE working amidst chaos, but with all the wood cutting and plaster work it's a real old mess. After tomorrow it's probably electrics for a few days, so I'll try and have a clean-up.

I think I'm going to need a sledge hammer to break up the scenics on the old room. I just hope I don't pull the walls off with the layout!!

Jeff

Does that mean that if someone builds a layout called, for example, Codsdale, you'd become an Old Codger - or even an Old Codpiece?  :O  :O

Jeff

Ooooh! Are you allowed to call the TrebuDoctor an Old Codpiece?

Can I add to that, given Andy's (P) musical accomplishment, Venerable Twangster!

Regards to all

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooooh! Are you allowed to call the TrebuDoctor an Old Codpiece?

Regards to all

Bill

Well spotted Bill! I expected Andy to have seen this! If he has, he's not rising to the bait!

Jason - I've left the LL tag by itself and I currently have Bacup and billyb's Shedrington at the foot of my page. hope some others do the same.

Jeff