Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well the exciting news is that the postman has failed to deliver the track. ;-{

Anyway I'm a bit of a way away from tracklaying!

There used to be a coach joining system that was whitemetal and had hoses and coupling all as one casting, it looked quite good. Bet you can't get it now though.

Andy

That makes me VERY ANNOYED!! I won't add any more!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Putting in my ore over couplings, :scratchhead:

I HATE RTR COUPLINGS WITH A PASSION :nono:

If you go for three link on fixed rakes that is easy and cheap, you can buy the chain by the length and ALL new Bachmann wagons have the hook, just pull out the RTR coupling from the NEM socket and keep one normal one at each end for coupling onto locos. :beee:

For coaching stock KEEN looks the best but I have never tried them, again keeping a normal coupling at one end. The tail coach should be finished with a corridor blank and a Tail Light, DCC if poss :O .

I love Kadee BUT NOT on the front of steam locos, although I do have them on my 3MTfor shunting. :senile:

Stiring the Lunester till he is thick and creamy :sungum: 

Andy, there are a lot of things I know bug*er all about in railway modelling. You will have to demonstrate the options for me at some stage. It's not an issue at the moment, but it IS something I will want to sort out once I get everything up-and-running!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Going slightly off topic (whats new?) just been looking in the Yellow Moon crafts catalogue for some stuff for the little one and discovered that they do DAS clay.

The price is £1.99 for 500g, but they also do another 'own brand' air drying clay (which can be remolded with water) at £1.99 for 1kg. I'm ordering the own brand stuff (as I'm tight).

Sadly the postage is £2.99 per order (unless you are Jeff, who will probably order £50 worth when it's free!), but you can also feel good about ordering as a certain percentage is given back to charity (I'm going to be cheeky here and ask you to use source code SGR11099, which is my local toddler group (Grade Seedlings)).

The web address is www.yellowmoon.co.uk

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The bigger hill section was covered in masking tape and a few bits of card inserted at chosen places:

post-13778-0-67038600-1359478121_thumb.jpg

Plaster bandage was applied - the formers stand out with the angle of the lighting. They won't be visible at all when a 1-2cm thick layer of filler is smeared on the top!

post-13778-0-94561200-1359478090_thumb.jpg

View along the 2 hill sections. Section 2 will get the treatment when today's PVA has set...

post-13778-0-81390300-1359478133_thumb.jpg

The hill sections aren't fixed in place and the shape is only the first step. By the time a bit of artistic "fillering" has been done it'll be totally different!

Jeff

• Like 5

Andy, there are a lot of things I know bug*er all about in railway modelling. You will have to demonstrate the options for me at some stage. It's not an issue at the moment, but it IS something I will want to sort out once I get everything up-and-running!

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Watch out if you decide to go down the Kadee route, you'll want to get the magnets in position before laying the track so they are hidden under the ballast. The 'between' rail magnets look naff.

Ray.

• Like 1

The bigger hill section was covered in masking tape and a few bits of card inserted at chosen places:

attachicon.gif100_2625.JPG

Plaster bandage was applied - the formers stand out with the angle of the lighting. They won't be visible at all when a 1-2cm thick layer of filler is smeared on the top!

attachicon.gif100_2627.JPG

View along the 2 hill sections. Section 2 will get the treatment when today's PVA has set...

attachicon.gif100_2631.JPG

The hill sections aren't fixed in place and the shape is only the first step. By the time a bit of artistic "fillering" has been done it'll be totally different!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, firstly, re pic 2, as you are probably aware you can still make out the formers, so stuff something under part of it and go over it again, will take the eye away from that problem.

Secondly couplings, it is a case of each to thier own, I get on well with Kadees on Glen Roy and I also had them on Loch Leven and Deesdale, so they work for me. With reguard to the Magnets, as Ray quite rightly says they are better hidden although I have them on top of the sleepers on GR, but that is because they were an afterthought.

Thirdly, At least you are doing something, I cant wait to start my next OO Project, I laid a yard of track on my work bench the other night and connected up the Prodigy and gave all my OO Steam locos a run up and down. OH WHAT JOY.

Now I need some more timber and make a start on the baseboards, whoops the N Gauge board is in the way :O  

Greedy Old Lune :sungum:  

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy. As I said, once the filler goes on top of the bandage shell the formers disappear. I've got some filler in stock, so I'll do a little section later....

Yes, I'm doing something. I could connect the entire fiddle yard up to the bus in an afternoon - including testing - but part of me is reluctant to do it just yet. I think I must be daft. After watching your video, the urge to "play" is very strong.

going back out to the bunker now...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a coach joining system that was whitemetal and had hoses and coupling all as one casting, it looked quite good. Bet you can't get it now though.

Andy

Andy, It was Bill Bedford who did them, I thought they were brass though. I saw them advertised on a web site just the other day - just cannot remember where, so they are still around.

Edit:

Brain just got into gear - Eileen's Emporium

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Update: Well that's me done for the day. I've covered two thirds of the second section in plaster bandage and positioned the two sections of hill exactly where I want them to be. They are still removeable. My plan is to spend another day messing about with the hills - I'll put a filler coating on one of the hill sections tomorrow to see how it looks.

Then I'm going to spend a week or so sorting out all the wiring - I still have 2 Cobalts to retro-fit (the holes etc are already in). 

It's not quite 8 months since I started fitting the subframe, so I suppose progress is being made!

Jeff

You've been making good progress again today Jeff.  I was briefly confused by the first couple of photos - I thought you'd completely rebuilt the scenery again...

Question for the portable layout builders though - when using plaster bandage, how do you deal with baseboard joints? 

Confuddled Lunester (If that's not being repetitive ;) )

• RMweb Premium

You've been making good progress again today Jeff.  I was briefly confused by the first couple of photos - I thought you'd completely rebuilt the scenery again...

Question for the portable layout builders though - when using plaster bandage, how do you deal with baseboard joints? 

Confuddled Lunester (If that's not being repetitive ;) )

Evening Michael.

It was a discussion with you last night that made me add the extra on the tops. I want a bit of space to put a derelict building on a hillside, so extending the tops a few inches helps.

I enjoy this kind of work, and tomorrow will be fun.

But I need to bite the bullet and start being methodical about all the wiring - so I don't know how exciting that's going to be for the Lunesters!!

Jeff

Update: Well that's me done for the day.

Jeff

Good grief Jeff, i'm only just starting. Trouble with having a full time job.

Hope to finish wiring Camel Quay tonight then make a start on with the backscene/scenics tomorrow.

Im watching carefully how your hillside shapes up as i have to do some similar moulding albeit on a much smaller scale. To keep the weight down i was thinking of using 6mm foamboard for the formers but have never done this sort of stuff before (apart from papier mache many years ago) so any advice before i get stuck in would be appreciated.

Luney Fledgling looking for early retirement.

Ray

Edited by tender

• RMweb Premium

Talking of portable layouts, my mind (and pocket) has been straying from Bacup of late, and planning ahead for Jeff's open day and the layout I would like to build for it. As such, here is a shot of the plan so far (it needs work), the original shunter and a new purchase that once again, has no place on Bacup.

JeffsExhibition.jpg

The Vanguard - I did plan to finish this off today (well, all but paint it) but other things like work and greenhouses got in the way:

JE005.jpg

03008.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ray - take no notice of what I do. My build ethos is totally over the top! I could get away with much lighter materials and at a much lower cost. But I like building this way, so I'm not going to change.

A foamboard or polystyrene base would be much lighter, cheaper and quicker - and you could put the bandage over the top. The end result - especially for a portable layout - would be good. I think part of my attraction to this hobby is working with materials, especially wood. So please don't use my idiosyncratic method as an example!

Jeff 

• RMweb Premium

Jason....just because it doesn't fit Bacup it doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it...lol!

Your plan reminds me of the kind of thing that AndyP builds so well.

Always a good idea to have a new idea in the pipeline!

Jeff

Andy

Hi Andy,

They are still available - https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=322&Itemid=9

They are made from lost wax brass.

Ian

Cheers Andy. As I said, once the filler goes on top of the bandage shell the formers disappear. I've got some filler in stock, so I'll do a little section later....

Yes, I'm doing something. I could connect the entire fiddle yard up to the bus in an afternoon - including testing - but part of me is reluctant to do it just yet. I think I must be daft. After watching your video, the urge to "play" is very strong.

going back out to the bunker now...

Jeff

Hmmmmmmmmm... so close to running trains, yet so far.  And now the plaster bandages are out?

I think Professor Freud would have a field day analysing that lot.

Methinks it's time you turned that diorama into a model railway, Jeff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ray - take no notice of what I do. My build ethos is totally over the top! I could get away with much lighter materials and at a much lower cost. But I like building this way, so I'm not going to change.

A foamboard or polystyrene base would be much lighter, cheaper and quicker - and you could put the bandage over the top. The end result - especially for a portable layout - would be good. I think part of my attraction to this hobby is working with materials, especially wood. So please don't use my idiosyncratic method as an example!

Jeff 

I would definitely recommend foamboard for the mountains on a portable layout.  Our SWAG module is 4ftx2ft and is more or less covered in a mountain from end to end and over more than 2/3rds of its width but apart from the sheer awkwardness and bulk can easily be held in one hand because it is so light.  It is also pretty tough (thus far) and survived the journey to Taunton while some of the paint was still wet ( :O ) with no problems or movement.

Foamboard can also be very quick - cut with knife, fixed using pva, and coated with plaster bandage etc all within a couple of days.

• RMweb Premium

I would definitely recommend foamboard for the mountains on a portable layout.  Our SWAG module is 4ftx2ft and is more or less covered in a mountain from end to end and over more than 2/3rds of its width but apart from the sheer awkwardness and bulk can easily be held in one hand because it is so light.  It is also pretty tough (thus far) and survived the journey to Taunton while some of the paint was still wet ( :O ) with no problems or movement.

Foamboard can also be very quick - cut with knife, fixed using pva, and coated with plaster bandage etc all within a couple of days.

There you go, Ray. A recommendation from Mike, who has actually used the stuff. No point asking me about foam materials as I'd just woffle on, never having used them!

Scott - when I start to feel guilty that I haven't done this or that, I just remember.... I'm 8 months into a layout build that was supposed to take 4-5 years. And I'm already months ahead of schedule. Again, it comes down to the negative side of building a layout on a thread - you feel obliged to entertain the viewers. I certainly feel this. I feel like I should already have all the wiring done and locos running... which is plainly ridiculous.

So I'll just dawdle on - so near, yet so far - as you say. I'd certainly like to know the electrics are ok, but running trains - probably a bad idea when you are building a layout....too much of a distraction!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Strangely, I find that if my motivation is flagging, then a running session (okay, a play ;) ) spurs me on because I find myself thinking how much better it would look if the 3F was trundling past a mill rather than a length of bare baseboard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, one question pleases Sir if I may, will the hill top be tree lined or barren and moorland?

P.S. THanks for the video plugs.    DO I get a Gotcha Oscar for that one?

OL. :sungum:

one Lunester Oscar...

to_clean_smiley14.gif

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Strangely, I find that if my motivation is flagging, then a running session (okay, a play ;) ) spurs me on because I find myself thinking how much better it would look if the 3F was trundling past a mill rather than a length of bare baseboard.

Jason, have you watched Andy's videos? And he says he gets inspiration from me! YOU, perhaps - with your metropolis. But heavens above - that layout of his would fire the imagination of anybody. How many youngsters would want a "train set" after seeing that?

Anyway, disasters aside, I expect to see the first loco running back and forth in the fiddle yard by the end of the weekend!

And btw, I've been "studying" hillsides - how sad is that?! Scrub, gullies, stone walls, different grasses, the odd tree, paths, landslips, tsunamis..... how much stuff can I get in there? I love building rock faces, so maybe I'll have one of those - but it will be at the other end of the layout around the other 2 tunnels...what do you reckon?

Jeff

• Like 1

Nothing sad about studying hillsides - it's a shame more people don't before adding their scenery...  What's the difference between spending hours comparing photographs of the brake-gear on a 9f with a model, and doing the same with a hillside?  Other than the fact getting the hillside right is so much more noticeable and will make the end result more believable, even if the 9f on the viaduct never had the banded brake blocks, and they should be plain.  It's the whole scene that matters, and you obviously care about that!

(I can remember seeing some layouts which had amazing models of engines - all sparkly clean and ex-works, really finely detailed, and smoothly running - running on track with ballast at best haphazardly applied, single shade of green scenery fitted around the track, and pulling what would best be described as trux...  Doesn't matter how good one part of the whole is, it is the whole that matters!) [/rant]

• Like 3