Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I've just noticed that Jason's "Bacup" is no longer on my Tag list at the bottom of the screen - because the list only includes 5 layouts and more than 5 Lunesters have made the change.

Is there a way to see more than 5 listed layouts? If not, it's a bit annoying - especially when others also make the link.

Jeff

Jeff

I don't think i've ever seen more than 5 threads at the bottom of the page but you can still open up a separate list in a new window by clicking on the tag at the top of the page

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I don't think i've ever seen more than 5 threads at the bottom of the page but you can still open up a separate list in a new window by clicking on the tag at the top of the page

Spot-on Billy. I'd forgotten about the Tag link at the top of the page. Clicking on that brings up a longer list - including Bacup!

I'm going out to cut some wood shortly. No tutoring this morning - fortunately. Hope you are having fun in The Shed.

Jeff

Spot-on Billy. I'd forgotten about the Tag link at the top of the page. Clicking on that brings up a longer list - including Bacup!

I'm going out to cut some wood shortly. No tutoring this morning - fortunately. Hope you are having fun in The Shed.

Jeff

Not sure about fun, first attempt with the tracksetta, doing the bends seems to be going ok on this inner bend at 36 inch radius, the parallel track may cause me more issues using the peco 6 ft guide, I have got the track drawn where it is suppose to go on the base boards, just hope the tracksetta takes me to the same end point.

It has been mentioned on my thread previously that I would have a problem with the 4 ft width of my base boards, they are right, seemed like a good idea 6 months ago when I added an extra foot on but that was before I joined this forum. So that extra foot will be coming back off.

I am currently having to physically climb on top of the base boards (will have to get photo to post) to fix this part of the track down, good job its well made, a bit like you why use nails and 2 x 1 when I've got lots of 3 inch screws & 3 x 2 timber& 18mm mdf sheet.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Regarding scatter materials, grass and static machines etc. you don't need any of them. Just cut a few cocktail sticks into thirds, paint them brown, stick them in rows on your fell above the tunnel so that only about 4 mm shows for snow fences - it's deep mid-winter in the 1950s!!

• Like 4

Hi Jeff,

Just cut a few cocktail sticks into thirds, paint them brown, stick them in rows on your fell above the tunnel so that only about 4 mm shows for snow fences - it's deep mid-winter in the 1950s!!

Hi

What a good idea, S&C in winter I may do that on my layout in the fullness of time.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about fun, first attempt with the tracksetta, doing the bends seems to be going ok on this inner bend at 36 inch radius, the parallel track may cause me more issues using the peco 6 ft guide, I have got the track drawn where it is suppose to go on the base boards, just hope the tracksetta takes me to the same end point.

It has been mentioned on my thread previously that I would have a problem with the 4 ft width of my base boards, they are right, seemed like a good idea 6 months ago when I added an extra foot on but that was before I joined this forum. So that extra foot will be coming back off.

I am currently having to physically climb on top of the base boards (will have to get photo to post) to fix this part of the track down, good job its well made, a bit like you why use nails and 2 x 1 when I've got lots of 3 inch screws & 3 x 2 timber& 18mm mdf sheet.

I'm not very tall and the maximum reach I try to give myself is 2 foot - 2'6" at a pinch. So cutting the boards is a good idea.

Btw, there's not a single nail been used anywhere on my layout. Everything is screwed together - the subframe was also glued. My bunker would be very attractive to a strong magnet flying overhead!!

Don't be surprised if your plan and Tracksettas don't match. And, sorry if this is an insulting comment, as I'm sure you know - try and do transition curves off your straights, rather than going from infinite radius (ie. straight) to, say 36" in one go.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Regarding scatter materials, grass and static machines etc. you don't need any of them. Just cut a few cocktail sticks into thirds, paint them brown, stick them in rows on your fell above the tunnel so that only about 4 mm shows for snow fences - it's deep mid-winter in the 1950s!!

Good idea - I will model winter 63. Only problem then is that I'll have to flood the bunker with foam to simulate the snow!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ok, this is what I've been doing for the last 90 minutes....

The photos show the next former under construction, with the position of the tunnel portal. This is almost exactly where it'll be fitted.

Side view (from the operating well) and from behind the viaduct are shown:

post-13778-0-87995600-1359727685_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-63531500-1359727695_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96055600-1359727707_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

Hi Jeff,

I'm not convinced by the relative positions of the tunnel mouth and the hillside.  I'm not sure why though, it may just be the angle of your second photo, but I just get the impression that he tunnel mouth is outside the hill, rather than inside, as if the hill has had to be built out to reach the tunnel mouth, whereas normally they are built inside the line of the hill.  Hmmm... I'm not expressing this very well, I'll draw a diagram again...

post-6640-0-57323500-1359729874.jpg

Having drawn the diagram, I think I've worked it out - the line of the hill is under the sides of the tunnel mouth, and it flattens out not far above the line of the tunnel.  Why did they build a tunnel, and put the mouth there, when they could have just dug a cutting - far quicker and less costly?  

How to fix it?  I think moving the wall end of the formers towards the viaduct a bit will sort part of it, gradually easing the concave curve in the middle of the formers, and making it keep going up rather than back above the tunnel would sort the rest.

• RMweb Premium

Yes Michael, I see where you are coming from. but you've slightly misinterpreted what I've shown - and that's my fault for not being clearer...

What I meant was that the tunnel portal position is almost exactly where it'll be fitted.

The surrounding structure is only partly competed and isn't quite in the right place. As you say, the easy fix is to move that structure forward by a couple of cm. I've just done my daily torture exercise, so I'll be going back out there shortly to fiddle around with the rest of the structure. will post pics later - please let me know what you reckon.

And btw, I totally agree with your analysis, based on the evidence in front of you!

Jeff

ps. I think the last photo is going to be a much used scene when complete - an 8F or 9F heavy freight emerging from the tunnel and over the viaduct! LOVELY!!!!!

• Like 1

ps. I think the last photo is going to be a much used scene when complete - an 8F or 9F heavy freight emerging from the tunnel and over the viaduct! LOVELY!!!!!

Totaly agree. That will be the perfect photo. May be some way off though I think.

Duncan - Lunester Layout Tagged

Yes Michael, I see where you are coming from. but you've slightly misinterpreted what I've shown - and that's my fault for not being clearer...

What I meant was that the tunnel portal position is almost exactly where it'll be fitted.

The surrounding structure is only partly competed and isn't quite in the right place. As you say, the easy fix is to move that structure forward by a couple of cm. I've just done my daily torture exercise, so I'll be going back out there shortly to fiddle around with the rest of the structure. will post pics later - please let me know what you reckon.

And btw, I totally agree with your analysis, based on the evidence in front of you!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Firstly, re Torture Exersize, :O  NO NO NO YOU HAD IT RIGHT FIRST TIME, :no:  my physio has suggested that I do exersises on my hip, :nono:  silly man that would mean moving out of my chair  :beee:

Now on to serious matters, Re the 8f / 9f emerging from that tunnel mouth, well I cant wait, that will be a great shot as would one with the camera on the VALLEY FLOOR looking up as it emergies. all great stuff. And as for that shot from the end of the viaduct that will be another classic very Tetleys.

I had a great night up at our Club last night and GOT PLASTERED, I did a section of the hillside but it is still not right I will look out for some of those moulds you told me of at the Stafford Show tomorrow. Pity you are not a bit nearer as George is meeting me there and we will have a good day.

I am looking forward to seeing Haymarket Cross again, it was just behind us at Barrow Hill last year but I was so busy nattering I never really got the chance to get LOADS of pics, thats the sort of thing I want to do next in OO, if I do not move house.

I am now a fully tagged Lunester so thanks for that and I am about to update T and see how it goes. I will also Tag Glen Roy as I have hound some video of that and I will have a play and get that on the Spiders do dahs.

I have a mate coming around tonight for a running session as he also does O Gauge sound so I might Video some bits and also get some pics of different stock and locos.

All the best for now.

Really CHUFFED OLd Lune. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Here's a photo summary of where the hillside...it's been christened "Lune Fell" by some of you - ok, it's official!! - stands at the mo.

Sorry if these pics are similar to what you saw earlier.

The pics show how the portal position is effectively "fixed" - there are horizontal ply blocks lined along the left of the portal (as you look at it) and I've started some formers leading down to the top - 2 more needed, but cutting wood at angles is a bit tricky and I'd had enough!

The former shape coming down on top of the portal needs trimming a bit. I've tried to address Michael's earlier concerns - maybe he'd like to comment?

Ok, some photos for you...

post-13778-0-04932900-1359743022_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-86598700-1359743032_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07183900-1359743044_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88337600-1359743053_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-34121800-1359743063_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

I saw that former above the portal and thought 'Whoa! that's a bit steep' so had to go back and read your post, 'needs trimming' Phew. Just shows I didn't read it properly the first time.

As Andy has said there is going to be some fantastic opportunities for some great photos later, but we need to be patient, very patient.

It took me ages to catch up with things when I got back in today but I think I'm nearly there now, feeling pretty good after some acupuncture too, just had a nice cup of tea too and no leaks from any holes yet :mosking: .

Looking forward to more Lune fell work, or is more wiring going to stop play.

Jim

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that looks much better - I can hardly see the tunnel mouth in the first shot, so it looks much better to my eyes.

I do agree that the former above the tunnel needs trimming back, possibly so it, like the tunnel mouth, is just visible above the 3rd former.  

Michael

Hmmm... A thought comes to mind - what does the valley do beyond the viaduct?  The hillside around the tunnel needs to fit in with that, and the tunnel would then be cut into that hillside.   Is the portal parallel to the line of the hillside, or (as I discovered this afternoon I'd done with a couple of walls in the great bathroom rebuild :O ) is it going to be a bit squint?  

My layouts GL and T are both TAGGED but not showing up on anybodys site? WOT AV I DUN WONG? :stinker:

If you search by tag they appear.  The bit at the bottom of the page randomly selects five other threads with the same tag as the one you are currently viewing.  Obviously you are a bit too random to be selected :jester:

If you search by tag they appear.  The bit at the bottom of the page randomly selects five other threads with the same tag as the one you are currently viewing.  Obviously you are a bit too random to be selected :jester:

DON'T CALL ME RANDOM :O hahahaaaaa

not sure what you mean by, 'search by tag' but I will have a look, If the whole of KL GETS DELETED, don't blame me :no:

Thanks Michael.

Lost Lune of Swad :sungum:  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments! I knew I could rely on you!

Andy - your angle of 45 degrees is about right. Here's the photo I've used a few times on here:

post-13778-0-61296800-1359745056_thumb.jpg

Michael, the hillside continues on the right side of the portal - I just haven't got to that bit yet.

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks to Jim and Andy for making me re-read your post before posting an incorrect reply.

Lune Fell is staring to realy come together and once that former is trimmed, should reflect the area your modelling.

Keep going mate to me it's a valid waste of time to keep up to date with all the posts.

Duncan - Certified Lunester (or should it be certifiable)

• RMweb Premium

Jason - your brainwave seems to be paying dividends. We currently have 9 registered "Lunester Layouts" and being able to access them from one Tag is so much simpler than trawling through the Layouts section etc.

Jeff

• Like 1