Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

EM gauge? That is what I am pondering for my shunting plank of the future.

No, I like the look of the locos that Andy's been working with - and it'd limit the scenario I created, so I could concentrate on the detail. But who knows - a year ago I was contemplating lots of ready-to-plonk, straight viaducts, Peco track etc.

If I used the bedroom where my display cabinets are mounted I could get a slightly longer length and depth... Mustn't think too much about it with so much to do on KL!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's the challenge Andy, and the locos I already have for the next project are totally wrong for Bacup (far too late, all being 70's era)

P4 is a step too far (but never say never ;) ) but EM is achievable

If I used the bedroom where my display cabinets are mounted I could get a slightly longer length and depth... Mustn't think too much about it with so much to do on KL!!

Jeff

Jeff

I do tend to agree with you. Concentrating on KL is probably the best bet as I could see you being distracted with a side project.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I do tend to agree with you. Concentrating on KL is probably the best bet as I could see you being distracted with a side project.

Duncan

The other issue is resources. I've spent a lot of time on KL - and also a lot of money on the building materials. I wouldn't fancy splashing out on another layout - especially if I changed the gauge and had to, effectively, start from scratch.

There's plenty to do with KL before it's even remotely "finished". And the layout is there to be enjoyed, not just as a "conveyer belt" to the next project. In the end it's quite possible that I'll commit all my resources to KL, maybe running it over 3 different time periods. I quite fancy an earlier period (1964-1966 and 1958 - 1962 have already been discussed), maybe the 1930s with pure LMS stock....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

There's plenty to do with KL before it's even remotely "finished". And the layout is there to be enjoyed, not just as a "conveyer belt" to the next project. In the end it's quite possible that I'll commit all my resources to KL, maybe running it over 3 different time periods. I quite fancy an earlier period (1964-1966 and 1958 - 1962 have already been discussed), maybe the 1930s with pure LMS stock....

I like this idea, but as you say the main thing it to have KL so that you can enjoy it.

The one thing that can be said of KL is that with the way it's being built, three different time periods are always possible at a later date.

Duncan

EM is something that is tempting me - I've not got a lot of stock to convert, nor any other layout to try and run stock on.  And given that the club N-Gauge is going code 40 EasyTrack purely for the look, I think I want to do the same in 4mm.  And as Jason says, it's a challange, but an achievable one.

Having more than one project on the go can be a good thing though - it gives you the chance to take a breather, do something else, and come back with fresh eyes before you continue improving things on the original project.  

• RMweb Premium

EM is something that is tempting me - I've not got a lot of stock to convert, nor any other layout to try and run stock on.  And given that the club N-Gauge is going code 40 EasyTrack purely for the look, I think I want to do the same in 4mm.  And as Jason says, it's a challange, but an achievable one.

Having more than one project on the go can be a good thing though - it gives you the chance to take a breather, do something else, and come back with fresh eyes before you continue improving things on the original project.  

Michael - you should know about this! You have a couple of layouts and your 4MT project on the go.

I'm sure you're right, as variety maintains interest. There's never been a moment - yet - when I've considered whether KL is a good thing or simply too large a task. Some jobs take a long time, but there are a number of different long-term tasks, so you can mix-and-match. A bit like having different projects running simultaneously! Result = happiness!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, Just been catching up with the last few days and the lively discussion for a future project for that new released bedroom. So I'll have my tuppence worth and suggest 009. It's the same scale as you are working with, but you can justify tight curves and sharp gradients. In my childhod I used to live in spitting distance of the Leek & Manifold and just loved the look of their two Kitson tanks. A holiday a couple of years ago to most of the Welsh NG lines saw me buying an L&M kit and some Peco NG track. That's as far as I have got, but now I have a garage....

Jason - remarkably, the answer is NO!

I've got 3 turnouts - I've labelled them numbers 1, 2 and 3 on my control panel - to sort out. So I ran the 9F and 25 there and back a few times - probably 98% of a circuit.

Definitely tomorrow!

Here are the "offending" turnouts!!!

attachicon.gif100_2270A.jpg

Jeff

post-8688-0-66719200-1361964208.jpg

"I tell you now: when the soldering reaches 100%, we will have steam trains running circuits on Kirkby-Luneside!"

lunester-conspiracy.com

I'm sure you're right, as variety maintains interest. There's never been a moment - yet - when I've considered whether KL is a good thing or simply too large a task. Some jobs take a long time, but there are a number of different long-term tasks, so you can mix-and-match. A bit like having different projects running simultaneously! Result = happiness!

Jeff

That's probably the sensible approach with the ultimate size of this project

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jonathan. no doubt I'll have as many different suggestions as there are gauges!

You mentioned a garage - have you got that as well as the loft?

Jeff

Btw, just done another 3 hours demolition. The old layout is 80% cleared and the skip is full. However, it's the station area that's left, so apart from a couple of boards there isn't much bulk. I've also managed to salvage about 25 80cm+ lengths of 44mm x 44mm - so these will be great when the next bit of Lune Fell is constructed.

• RMweb Premium

Heading into the bunker to connect-up turnouts 1,2 and 3 (see picture in post 4593).

I'm anticipating a bit of hassle as 2 of these are curved turnouts - odds are at least one of them will have to have its entry throat adjusted. We'll soon see.

Jeff

Michael - you should know about this! You have a couple of layouts and your 4MT project on the go.

Jeff

I hadn't thought about it like that - with my little layouts, it's hard to distinguish between the task (or de-conflict them), and make them separate projects. And of course with all of us watching, you don't get a chance to slack off ;)

Hope you don't have too much trouble with the curved points...

Edited by MichaelW

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan. no doubt I'll have as many different suggestions as there are gauges!

You mentioned a garage - have you got that as well as the loft?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Yes there's a garage as well. It's just a pity the chimney goes through the middle of the loft to cause problems. The initial idea was to have the garage converted into a music room for the piano of the about to be SWMBO, but she had second thoughts. I forgot to say that I had White Rose make me some baseboards and they nicely fit the garage so my end to fiddleyard 009 L&M based layout could be on the cards. 

Heading into the bunker to connect-up turnouts 1,2 and 3 (see picture in post 4593).

I'm anticipating a bit of hassle as 2 of these are curved turnouts - odds are at least one of them will have to have its entry throat adjusted. We'll soon see.

Jeff

When I was laying the track for Camel Quay I found a set of Tracksetta curves invaluable for getting smooth transitions to and from the curved turnouts.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't thought about it like that - with my little layouts, it's hard to distinguish between the task (or de-conflict them), and make them separate projects. And of course with all of us watching, you don't get a chance to slack off ;)

That's very true Michael; I sometimes feel guilty if I haven't added anything to my thread for a week. Having an online audience definitely does spur you on and also benefits you greatly, as you get a hundred sets of eyes on your work with the result that if you are heading in the wrong direction, then someone will usually point it out before you get too far.

For me, that is a huge benefit of publishing everything on RMWeb, as I grew up in a village in the 70's and therefore have no real memory of mill towns, how grotty they got, what percentage of houses had internal bathrooms or net curtains, what the bloody chimney pots were like (:D), etc., etc., etc. Searching on Google will give you some of the information but advice from people who were actually there at the time you are depicting is worth a million Google searches.

I think it is the gauge not being 100% correct on some of his Marcway turnouts, Ray. We TOLD him to build his own :D :D :D

• RMweb Premium

When I was laying the track for Camel Quay I found a set of Tracksetta curves invaluable for getting smooth transitions to and from the curved turnouts.

Ray.

Hi Ray.

The problem isn't the track to turnout transition. It's the fact that the gauge of some of the Marcway turnouts is about 0.5mm too narrow at the throat. As a loco enters the turnout it rides up on the stock rail and derails.

The stock rail has to be un-soldered and moved out a fraction. Then all is well.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Blimey - Jason is reading my mind and has written EXACTLY what I was going to say to both you and to Ray!! Amazing!

It does put pressure on you, being on here, but you get used to it. I felt guilty over Christmas when nothing was really happening - as you feel that you SHOULD be doing something. But it's a double-edged sword, as the encouragement drives you on relentlessly - which is good!

Cheers Jason - have you tried your telekinetic skills lately?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The other option would have been to alter the back to backs on your stock, to OO Finescale standards. If re-gauging is working though then you are laughing, although you may want to push a load of 4 wheel trucks (both short and long wheelbase) through them just to be sure.

If you do want to buy a B2B gauge at some point (and it will be worth it, given the flexibility of standards adhered to by HornBach (;)), then you can get a finescale one from here: http://www.doubleogauge.com/shop.htm (with Marcway turnouts, it is the Finescale one you need, not Intermediate).

Have a look at the Standards page for the differences in gauge.

Hi Ray.

The problem isn't the track to turnout transition. It's the fact that the gauge of some of the Marcway turnouts is about 0.5mm too narrow at the throat. As a loco enters the turnout it rides up on the stock rail and derails.

The stock rail has to be un-soldered and moved out a fraction. Then all is well.

Jeff

Sounds like they are built to DOGA standards, if you don't want to change all your back 2 back's, 00-SF works with most Hornby, Bachmann stock unmodified.

• RMweb Premium

It's a strange one really. I've had no problems with the standard 60" radius left and right-hand turnouts. The only problems have arisen with about 3 of the 10 or so curved turnouts. 

Anyway, time to go into the bunker to play with the soldering iron. Catch you all later!

Jeff