Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Luckily I had read your ealier post before it disappeared.  Thank you for those comments, they cheered an otherwise dreary morning  :)

Doing a bit of skipping at a time sounds a good plan! 

Oh, I will, just need someone to do that for me ;)

Glad you read the original. You were spot-on with the planned headshunts - I think there are 4 to put in. And the goods area/sidings is going to be late for development, depending on how I arrange access/curved backscene in the "other" corner...

The fact that you remember the details is impressive and shows you take a genuine interest in what I'm doing.

Btw, there are a few places where I'll have to fill gaps with sleepers. Now that was your original contribution to KL, so if you spot any gaps - let me know!

Sorry to hear you lost some of your thread. I seem to recall mentioning "waddling" 3MTs somewhere - was that yesterday or today?

Jeff

Sounds sensible to leave it till later - saves pulling it up and relaying it all when it doesn't work with the scenic plan...

I'm known for being able to remember details at work - I believe the correct phrase is "infamous" for it.  (Apparently you shouldn't ask design authorities why they have made contradictory decisions...)  Thinking of which, have you sorted the sleepers under the tunnel mouth yet?  Probably worth doing them before the scenics get too advanced.  I noticed the videos carefully hid them from view...

I remember your waddling 3MT comments, not sure where they were though.  I've reconstituted the original post, not as good, but it still tells the story...

• RMweb Premium

3MT - yes, I've a green and a black, both late crest. The green, from the first production batch, has a (to my view) distinct waddle. Others think I'm making it up. Lovely model though. The black version doesn't waddle!!

Haven't fitted any sleepers since the original photos of the tunnel mouth. So I'll need to check that out before, as you say, things get too awkward.

I've a memory for figures, and especially dates. I was once thrown into a contest with 2 History graduates. A mutual friend then asked us 20 dates from Roman to 19th century times and scrutinised the results....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

And the results were?

Contestant one - 14, Contestant two - 12, Jeff - 21(bonus point for supplying the other correct answer :-D )

Well I clearly remember the year 1648 being mentioned. Now that date, to me, signifies either an event in the English Civil War, or the end of the European Thirty Years War at the Treaty of Westphalia. Neither of the others had even heard of said Treaty and wondered how the hell a Physicist would know such a thing. Blimey - Gustavus Adolphus would be turning in his grave!!

Anyway, we digress! I managed to wire/check 3 more Cobalts to the bus, along with a few more track droppers. The class 25 has now run 95% round the Up mainline! 

Jeff

Thanks Jaakko.

And the stone-walling you've used looks very good.

The problem I have is the sheer scale of walling I'll have to use. Probably in the order of 20-30 metres of the stuff!! On cost grounds alone this really makes it impossible to buy the ready-made stuff AND I need to be able to adapt the walling to lots of different inclines. That's why I'll likely end up making my own stuff from DAS modelling clay.

I haven't tried it yet, but the day will come!

Best wishes,

Jeff

PS. Temperature in the bunker = 12C = 285K  :sungum:  :jester:  :jester:

Hi Jeff,

Not sure if I mentioned it some time ago but soon I will face the same predicament re: stone walling - miles of it !!!. I have made a mould with a variety of plain, corners, and 'Tee' joints. Admitedly I have not got around to casting any walls but the cost will be vastly reduced if satisfactory. I may give it a go at the weekend now you have brought it up.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Not sure if I mentioned it some time ago but soon I will face the same predicament re: stone walling - miles of it !!!. I have made a mould with a variety of plain, corners, and 'Tee' joints. Admitedly I have not got around to casting any walls but the cost will be vastly reduced if satisfactory. I may give it a go at the weekend now you have brought it up.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, the walling is going to be a major feature so, one way or another, it'll have to look right. Miles of it indeed.

Btw, many thanks for the Jenkinson articles. It is a fascinating series. I've merely glanced at photos and plans - it warrants proper attention....when time arises!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere in the Jenkinson Articles may be his method of making stone walls I seem to remember them looking pretty good ( must dig out my photos sometime).

Don

I'll keep an eye out for that. There was an article, specific to Dent on the S&C, in the January RM. It used DAS clay and the results were pretty realistic.

One way or another a solution will need to be found. Even if a commercial product was available it'd break the bank to purchase enough of it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Re your Waddling 3MT, it sounds to me like it isn't quartered correctly.....

I hope Jeff doesn't cotton on to farming out his dry stone walling to all the Lunesters! I have some clay and it's looking for a use now....

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to what may be achieved today....

I'm about to start another couple of hours of demolition/salvage work on the old layout. One thing I'll never be short of is screws - I used gazillions of them and any that are conveniently positioned are carefully removed.

Then there's the work on KL. Turnouts 1 and 2 on the layout - as numbered on the control panel. Once active I can give the rails a quick wipe and the class 25 will be able to run round and round and round.... Not that I intend to stoop to such a base activity :no: - there's work to be getting on with!!  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Re your Waddling 3MT, it sounds to me like it isn't quartered correctly.....

I hope Jeff doesn't cotton on to farming out his dry stone walling to all the Lunesters! I have some clay and it's looking for a use now....

Andy

Apparently it was a common feature on batches of the model. The effect is subtle - I sometimes wondered whether I was imagining it. So much so, I returned the item to Kernow (who I do the vast majority of my business with and who have never been anything but 100% helpful) and they declared that it was ok. It doesn't worry me - and if there is a small "limp", well, it's characterful!!

Andy - I have to admit, I've never used DAS. So it'll be a learning curve - I'll pester you for advice!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'd be careful saying things like that Andy, it sounded very much like "I'll do some for you"...

Now, do you do the stonewalling before or after the grass?

If you hadn't made me think about it, I'd have automatically fitted the walling onto the hillside before any grass went down. As Andy P is keen on saying, if you then find little "mistakes", well, a clump of grass or a small shrub can disguise them!

So for me, walling first!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Definitely walling first, otherwise how will you glue the wall down? The order in which we do things is quite an important part of the planning stage in my opinion, although it would seem that different people do things in a different sequence so apart from a few necessary jobs, is there a right way?

For instance, I constructed the buildings before the landform, because I wanted them to slot in rather than be plonked on top with the resulting gaps and bodges to make them fit. Likewise with the station, where I built the canopy first to know the width of the platforms, and then the platforms next to know where to lay the track. Had I done it differently, I might have been having to make a canopy to fit an already dictated width and I didn't want to have to do that (the canopy was hard enough as it was!!)

Edited by Sandside

• RMweb Premium

I'd be careful saying things like that Andy, it sounded very much like "I'll do some for you"...

Now, do you do the stonewalling before or after the grass?

I would say before, then the grass goes upto the wall and is higher than the foundations of said wall, making it all seemless.... Don't forget to dig the foundations for the wall!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff just a quick thought, could you add a Lunester layout tag to this thread please, then it will appear in the list in the lounge, and we won't have to go searching for it!

Unless that is you are trying to keep the riff-raff away from here....

Andy g

Edited by uax6

Jeff just a quick thought, could you add a Lunester layout tag to this thread please, then it will appear in the list in the lounge, and we won't have to go searching for it!

Andy g

Andy, the list in each thread is just 5 assorted threads with the same tags - if you want to see a list of all the threads tagged 'Lunester Layout', click on the tag where it appears on the page - that will bring up a list of every thread that is tagged that way.

Alternatively, you can follow the thread, and find it through the 'Content I follow' link in the dropdown menu you get by clicking on your username right at the top of the page.

I think I agree with the grass last approach, as you say, you can grow it around the base of the structures.  Unfortunately, that means you need the structures before you start growing...

More accurately, it shows the last 5 started threads with the same tags...

• RMweb Premium

Andy g

Andy, there has been a Lunester Layout tag on this thread since about 30 seconds after Jason suggested it in January. It's the only tag on the layout.

A tag search gives me all the Lunester layouts at one time. So I don't know why it's not appearing in the lounge....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ah, well spotted Michael - the list of 5 at the foot of the pages shows the last 5 started threads....

So KL and Bacup etc, started aeons ago, won't feature on the 5 and you'll have to do a full LL tag search.

Well spotted, sir!!

J

• RMweb Premium

Ah, well spotted Michael - the list of 5 at the foot of the pages shows the last 5 started threads....

So KL and Bacup etc, started aeons ago, won't feature on the 5 and you'll have to do a full LL tag search.

Well spotted, sir!!

J

Thats a bit pants isn't it? Surely the ones with the latest input should appear...?

Andy g

Edited by uax6