Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of your 3MT, I have a couple of Bachmann locos that do the same and I think as Andy says, that the quartering is slightly out. It is worth getting a decent Back-To-Back gauge as well, because both Hornby and Bachmann seem to be incapable of getting them right and with SMP / handbuilt track, it is more noticeable if it is out. I picked up a OO finescale one from the OO Gauge Society a couple of weeks ago for a few quid and last night, it already earned it's keep. I decided to dig out my Standard 5 (after all this talk of Standards, I felt I had to ;) ) and it was riding up check rails, frogs, etc whereas none of the other locos I have used so far have done *. I checked and adjusted the B2B's (they were way out) and it is much better now/

* I seem to have a problem with the front bogie on one of my Black Fives where the front wheels don't rotate; not all the time but enough to be annoying. I will at some point be replacing the front bogies on both of my Five's with Comet ones (the Hornby ones are just awful - solid blocks) but it is still very annoying.

I suppose we already know about those topics though :) Bacup disappeared off the list on the first day, as did KL, the layout that started it all.

Hmmm... I suppose it's there to make you aware of new threads with matching tags - there are other ways of following the threads you are already aware of...

I wonder how Jeff is getting on with the skipping this morning?  Do you reckon his managed a bit more today?  Or is he all tied up in the skipping rope and in need of rescuing?

I wonder how Jeff is getting on with the skipping this morning?  Do you reckon his managed a bit more today?  Or is he all tied up in the skipping rope and in need of rescuing?

It's quite possible that the skipping rope is winning :jester:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Ha ha!!!! Jeff is here to report....

I've done another 2 hours in the demolition room. Very pleasing. Tell you what, I'll go and take a couple of photos just to show you what's going on!  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

First pic shows what I've taken out over the last 2 days:

post-13778-0-70427700-1361882616_thumb.jpg

This section has still got to go...

post-13778-0-52797000-1361882308_thumb.jpg

Here's the skip - half of what's in here isn't from the old layout, so there'll be no problem...

post-13778-0-03229000-1361882314_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Coffee then off to do some wiring in the bunker!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Another batch of wiring done. It sure does take a long time. However, it's been fun running locos through the turnouts set in different combinations. The 9F and 25 continue to be used, running in forward and reverse. The 9F running tender first, pushing 3 coaches at reasonably high speed seems to be a pretty good test.

30/39 turnouts, 86/96 track droppers now wired and (apparently) working properly. Fingers crossed!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I find that the easiest way to follow things is on opening RMweb to click of my username top right then click 'my content' All the threads I have added to appear in order of the date last added too. Those I haven't read appear bold those I have are fainter. I find this gives me the things I am most interested in quickly. Then once I have gone through them I look in view new content but you do have to wade through a lot. Unfortunately it does seem to work for comments on blogs.

Don

Ah, well spotted Michael - the list of 5 at the foot of the pages shows the last 5 started threads....

So KL and Bacup etc, started aeons ago, won't feature on the 5 and you'll have to do a full LL tag search.

Well spotted, sir!!

j

Hi all, I AM BACK :O  I have had a busy day and I am making some DVD so the old steam flip flop has gone into melt down.

Now re the tags, MINE HAS NEVER SHOW, and I thought it was because you all wanted to get rid of me :no:

Now re stone walling, :scratchhead: only used the pre cast stuff on Trebudoc so I can't help. which is probably a good thing as I would advise get a real stone and smach it into little bits and then glue it to the shape you want.

SO, not a lot of help there then :nono: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum:

On the subject of your 3MT, I have a couple of Bachmann locos that do the same and I think as Andy says, that the quartering is slightly out. It is worth getting a decent Back-To-Back gauge as well, because both Hornby and Bachmann seem to be incapable of getting them right and with SMP / handbuilt track, it is more noticeable if it is out. I picked up a OO finescale one from the OO Gauge Society a couple of weeks ago for a few quid and last night, it already earned it's keep. I decided to dig out my Standard 5 (after all this talk of Standards, I felt I had to ;) ) and it was riding up check rails, frogs, etc whereas none of the other locos I have used so far have done *. I checked and adjusted the B2B's (they were way out) and it is much better now/

* I seem to have a problem with the front bogie on one of my Black Fives where the front wheels don't rotate; not all the time but enough to be annoying. I will at some point be replacing the front bogies on both of my Five's with Comet ones (the Hornby ones are just awful - solid blocks) but it is still very annoying.

Re wobbley Locos, send it back to Bachmann, they will probably re quarter, re wheel or replace it FOC

Hmmm... I suppose it's there to make you aware of new threads with matching tags - there are other ways of following the threads you are already aware of...

Being an ex teacher he has probably thrown himself in for being a silly boy and breaking up a really good SECOND layout :O 

• RMweb Premium

I'm not so sure that they would do so with my 2MT 'Mickey Mouse', as I've not only weathered it but also replaced that silly drawbar thing between the loco and tender with a hook and loop to bring them closer together. Even on the shorter setting, the gap was ridiculous.

attachicon.gif100_2781B.jpg

attachicon.gif100_2783.JPG

Here's the skip - half of what's in here isn't from the old layout, so there'll be no problem...

attachicon.gif100_2786.JPG

Jeff

attachicon.gif100_2781B.jpg

attachicon.gif100_2783.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2786.JPG

Jeff

THATS CRIMINAL :O :o :O :o :O :o :O :o :O

I can't imagine having more than one layout, what I've got is more than enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life. Mind you it is heart breaking to smash up and skip all you have done in the past but as long as the new is better it can't be a bad thing.

Jeff it is good to know that you have almost completed the wiring, keep it up.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I may have missed the update, but do you now have a full circuit operational?

Jason - remarkably, the answer is NO!

I've got 3 turnouts - I've labelled them numbers 1, 2 and 3 on my control panel - to sort out. So I ran the 9F and 25 there and back a few times - probably 98% of a circuit.

Definitely tomorrow!

Here are the "offending" turnouts!!!

post-13778-0-58838600-1361899144_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, I AM BACK :O  I have had a busy day and I am making some DVD so the old steam flip flop has gone into melt down.

Now re the tags, MINE HAS NEVER SHOW, and I thought it was because you all wanted to get rid of me :no:

Now re stone walling, :scratchhead: only used the pre cast stuff on Trebudoc so I can't help. which is probably a good thing as I would advise get a real stone and smach it into little bits and then glue it to the shape you want.

SO, not a lot of help there then :nono: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum:

Strangely enough Andy, this may be exactly what ends up being done - but with THOUSANDS of DAS scaled-down rocks!

It's gonna be tedious, but a little bit each day for a couple of months.... Yes, you'll have to come and check me out of the Luney-bin!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Being an ex teacher he has probably thrown himself in for being a silly boy and breaking up a really good SECOND layout :O

Something very interesting has emerged as I demolish the old layout. Just how useful a size the old layout room actually is!

So, somewhere down the line (ha, ha) there'll be another layout in there.....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are the good things about the old layout:

It taught me a lot of new skills

It was fun to build over an 8 year period

The rock faces, I'm told, are/were quite good

Here are the bad things about the old layout:

Crap track (Hornby code 100) - especially the "turnouts"

Poor layout design

No fiddle yard

2 tier with ridiculous gradients that steam locos couldn't manage (about 1 in 20)

Very limited operational interest

I really didn't want to get rid of it, but once KL reached the stage it is there was no way I was ever going to use it - aside from testing a new loco. So time to say goodbye and free the room up....

Jeff

Something very interesting has emerged as I demolish the old layout. Just how useful a size the old layout room actually is!

So, somewhere down the line (ha, ha) there'll be another layout in there.....

Jeff

This sounds like the sort of room for a WINTERS PROJECT, :no:

N down one wall :nono: ,

O  down the other :O

Bodgit T Gauge :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trouble with you, Andy, is that you couldn't make a project last for a season - you'd have finished it within a week.

I've just been stood in the corner of the room, looking along the stuff I'll rip out tomorrow. There is definitely scope for a shelf layout - probably a shunting arrangement - with about 18" depth (from the wall to the window - look at the second photo in my earlier post).

Not an immediate job, but there is potential!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Trouble with you, Andy, is that you couldn't make a project last for a season - you'd have finished it within a week.

I've just been stood in the corner of the room, looking along the stuff I'll rip out tomorrow. There is definitely scope for a shelf layout - probably a shunting arrangement - with about 18" depth (from the wall to the window - look at the second photo in my earlier post).

Jeff

Good man, you know you want to, BTW I have just e-mailed you

Bodgit

Jeff

Jeff

Would that be an 0 gauge layout then :jester:

Duncan

Edited for spelling, yet again

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan,

Apologies for the delay - I've been busy with a bit of Chemistry help for a friend!

Not sure what gauge it would be - as it'll remain empty space for the foreseeable future. But it would be pointless doing another OO and I don't fancy N. So - following Andy's lead - it'd more than likely be a 10' shunting plank!

Jeff