Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff  How about fixing a strip of velcro along the gap (on the fixed side) then get the other bit of velcro and attach some model grass (use a flexible glue not pva) and paint to match the rest. Probably won't work for some reason. But just a thought scratch_one-s_head.gifSecond though attach grass mat to the velcro.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Jeff  How about fixing a strip of velcro along the gap (on the fixed side) then get the other bit of velcro and attach some model grass (use a flexible glue not pva) and paint to match the rest. Probably won't work for some reason. But just a thought scratch_one-s_head.gifSecond though attach grass mat to the velcro.

Don

It's worth a try! I'm willing to bet that I'll just end up with a join that can be cut/re-done when necessary.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, just noticed that your post has brought up the 200th page, well done. Just wondered how many pages there would be if all the g*bsh%&e (like this post) that Sandside refers to was not there!

Quiet on here again today no doubt due to the problems the site is having again.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, just noticed that your post has brought up the 200th page, well done. Just wondered how many pages there would be if all the g*bsh%&e (like this post) that Sandside refers to was not there!

Quiet on here again today no doubt due to the problems the site is having again.

Cheers!

Only 20 posts away from 5000.....incredible!

Having compiled the Index, and looking through the thread, I'd say that about 50% of the posts are directly relevant to KL. Then another 30% on peripheral issues relating to the S&C, locos etc. Then about 20% of general, sometimes well off-topic discussion. So I'd say about 1000-1500 posts fewer without the gobshi*e stuff. But, then again, a lot of that has added to the character of the thread - and I wouldn't want to change that...AT ALL!

I've just done another couple of hours in the bunker. The slidey bit is now ready for more plaster along it's full length and the hill section that includes the tunnel portal is now joined to the rest of Lune Fell.

It's still relatively cool in there, so I'm going to leave it to dry for the rest of the day. May go back in this afternoon to play with wires (not locos).

Off to have a bath now!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

200 pages well done that man :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

I have to say that a LOT of those pages are down to YOU, Andy... Sir Bodgit....Old Lune.... and your other aliases. In fact, your posts alone have contributed 16 of those pages!!  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :sungum:

Jeff

Duncan -

With regard to the lamps on the guards van,

what should it be showing, one, two or three?

i.e.

I              I

O

or

O           O

I

or

O           O

O

Cheers

Al

Hi Jeff

Had SQuirreL issues this end but all seems to be OK now

Looking good on the plastering of the valley and I am impressed by the fact that you braved the cold and completed so much, I popped into my garage and thought bu99er this and came back indoors. As for the join I wondered if you would run a wall along some of its length, but I'm sure you will have something in mind.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Had SQuirreL issues this end but all seems to be OK now

Looking good on the plastering of the valley and I am impressed by the fact that you braved the cold and completed so much, I popped into my garage and thought bu99er this and came back indoors. As for the join I wondered if you would run a wall along some of its length, but I'm sure you will have something in mind.

Jim

Hi Jim.

The bunker was the coldest it's been all winter when I first went in at 7: 3C. But the main insulated area is totally open to the non-insulated section now - until Thursday when the door goes in. Must admit that I didn't want to stay in there, but once I got the mesh cut and some mod-roc going it was tolerable.

I've just spent an hour in the bath - very unusual because I usually have showers and because I fell asleep! 

I'll pop into the bunker for a look shortly, armed with a cup of coffee - of course!

You give me too much credit....At the moment I haven't a clue what I'm going to put along the join. A stone wall in the forefront, going in for about 30cm and winding left has been an idea I'd thought of but, as with a lot of scenic work, it's like art - the landscape is infinitely variable and, withing guidelines, you can do what you like.

Shame Bill (Mythocentric) wasn't around - haven't heard from him for a while. As a true artist he'd set us straight.

Haven't started your new batch of CDs yet - must get on with that!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Duncan -

i.e.

I              I

O

or

O           O

I

or

O           O

O

Cheers

Al

As I said - the Brake Van was missing a tail lamp (although it had two side lamps) so it is the bottom one.

Duncan -

Cheers

Al

It should be showing three as a partialy fitted goods train. But, I also believe that there should also be one white facing forward.

Duncan

Forgot to add, I may well be corrected

Edited by emt_911

A bit like this, though this is very rough...

attachicon.gif100_2828A.jpg

Jeff

That's the idea Jeff

What you can do then is as the wall leaves the join some areas of rough grass or clumps can then 'block' the view of the join as there can be grass like this protected from the winds, a sheep track can then lead off to the right so that the eye follows the wall (left) or track (right). A little further along the join a couple of sheep will have wandered off the path to graze on the lush grass. The sheep track can lead the eye to the packhorse bridge from there,  

jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very imaginative Jim, but that is the kind of strategy I will try.

If it doesn't work very well, I'll put temporary joins (just a slim piece of mod-roc with scatter on top) over the most glaring areas.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, that wall will help but I would have put it along the bottom of the join and then brought the grass down to it on the top side and then the WALL will hide the joint.

Hope that CONFUSES YOU, hahaaa :no: :no:

Barron Von Bodgit :nono:

Laid of the Glens :sungum: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy - hope you are enjoying your new Baronacy!!!

The reason I put the walling to the left of the joint was because the wall runs uphill to the left. If I put it on the right, the wall will have to cross the joint at some point. A place for a gate, perhaps?

Jeff

The reason I put the walling to the left of the joint was because the wall runs uphill to the left. If I put it on the right, the wall will have to cross the joint at some point. A place for a gate, perhaps?

Jeff

Or just a collapsed piece of wall where those blasted sheep run through leaving a track with rough grass on the side leading away along the join.

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks and Jim,

Sorry for the delay in response - Chemistry called again!

Jim - good idea - a ruined wall, sheep on the rampage (there'll be enough of them) and the gap means less complete walling to build!

Keep the ideas coming - they are all appreciated.

Now to see what Baron Bodgit has been getting upto...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

When he finds out that the thread is two off reaching five thousand posts, he will be along like a shot. I imagine an alarm bell will go off in his study :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done lads!! You've got me to 5000 posts - and tomorrow is the thread's first anniversary....

Not sure we'll be able to keep this up for another year - will there be anything to say that will fill another 5000 posts!!?

Time to celebrate - with a cup of coffee!

Cheers....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Are you kidding? It will surely soon be time to paint the sleepers and rails (and there is no way we will let you simply spray the lot with Railmatch Sleeper Grime), ballasting (method of glueing and which to use) will take up a few pages, overlay the snowy mountains with grass, etc., will rattle on for pages on end and who knows, you may get to the point of scratchbuilding the station building, goods shed, iconic water tank, Signalbox, etc., within the next year. You've only just begun and we are all strapped in for the full journey.

Edited by Sandside