Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of the dark side had me worried that you were thinking of going modern image and replacing 8F's and 9F's with class 66's and characterless DMU's but then I told myself that you are a man of taste so that can't be the case.

Doing that would be akin to replacing the Spirit Of Ecstacy emblem on a Rolls Royce with a dog crap :D

• RMweb Premium

There'll be the occasional 108 (with whiskers) on the line, but 66s etc.... not a chance!!

Ok, I'll reveal all....

The loco was an NER J39, so out of region, if not time period. Lovely loco, 0-6-0 .... can't wait for the 4F!

And the loco was running on the dark side - DC. Al has a small group of locos he uses at club exhibitions (also including a 5MT), and since his club's main layout is DC, that's what we had to use. His classic H&M Duette came out and it was off we went! Quite funny seeing a 5MT do a scale 150mph round KL!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, the branch to Garsdale wad NER, as was the Stainmore route via KS East so maybe not as out of region as you may think. Not sure if J39's ever got to Garsdale though.....

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

Sorry haven't found a photo of a J39 yet, nearest I can find on the main line is a B1, according to the late David Jenkinson the NER were granted running powers over the S&C south of Garsdale so it is not too far fetched that a J39 would have been seen.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, the branch to Garsdale wad NER, as was the Stainmore route via KS East so maybe not as out of region as you may think. Not sure if J39's ever got to Garsdale though.....

Hi Jeff

Sorry haven't found a photo of a J39 yet, nearest I can find on the main line is a B1, according to the late David Jenkinson the NER were granted running powers over the S&C south of Garsdale so it is not too far fetched that a J39 would have been seen.

Ian

Thanks for the info. lads. I don't have a J39 to run on KL, but maybe Al's little beauty can put in the occasional guest appearance!

As I say, I await the Bachmann 4F with interest. Looks like July at the earliest.

Must admit, I thought the J39 was a very good-looking loco - a scaled-down B1, I suppose. And I've always loved the B1s.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi all, Bogshits back, :no:

I have re looked at the video and I hadn't realised it was running on DC, but as per a previous question of mine re the DCC conversion to the J39, it is now obvious.

I guess you will be breaking out the Factor 5 Sun Cream and Bermuda Shots after that door is fitted.

You will have Polly in her Hulla Hulla skirt dancing on the hillside, or clucking and laying an EGG :O

Glad you have had a good day,

Catch up again in the morning

Bog*hit :nono:

• RMweb Premium

I'm still surprised it's taken so long to get a door! I hope it's going to be a nice tight fit, insulated perhaps?

Have you condsidered how you will combat dust in the bunker? I take it the concrete floor is sealed? Will you have dust sheets, or covers to keep the dust at bay?

It's one of those things I've never done before, but If Peter Denny thought it was worth doing it must have been (and it will help to keep the track clean too!)

So lots more hills and valleys this week Jeff?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I'm still surprised it's taken so long to get a door! I hope it's going to be a nice tight fit, insulated perhaps?

Have you condsidered how you will combat dust in the bunker? I take it the concrete floor is sealed? Will you have dust sheets, or covers to keep the dust at bay?

It's one of those things I've never done before, but If Peter Denny thought it was worth doing it must have been (and it will help to keep the track clean too!)

So lots more hills and valleys this week Jeff?

Andy G

Hi Andy.

The door was a potential nuisance until November, until all the heavy stuff had gone into the bunker. Should have had one fitted then, but hindsight is great. I'm having 3 windows replaced tomorrow, so it was a simple matter to get the company to fit the door for me.

The bunker floor has deluxe underlay and a hardwearing carpet fitted. That went down last May before I started work on the subframe. When I behave myself and don't cut things in there, it's surprisingly dust-free. Wood-cutting in the garage is now banned (from today), though there'll still be some powder from the plaster added to the fells. I've given the layout a couple of good cleans - over an hour at a time - with a hoover. It's going to get a thorough underboard clean shortly - I regularly clear up in there, but I mean thorough.

Rolling stock and locos aren't currently left in the bunker. All locos will always be removed when I'm sorted - wagons can stay.... I've a set of towels that sit on top of them.

It's going to be cold this week so I'll be able to put my new door to the test. I'll shortly be installing a curtain across the outside of the door - for additional insulation purposes!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Not a bad idea the curtain, maybe one for the inside of the 1/2" thick blast door that is the external door would be good too? ;-}

Parky up the box at the minute, wind is in the wrond direction and coming through the north wall!

Andy g

• RMweb Gold

I think you should leave the door it is meant to be the S&C not eggsactly known for heat waves but well known for cutting winds that go right through you. We have one here tonight dog walking was more like scott in the antartic.

Actually it sounds like it will be very pleasant in there. You have to watch for gaps draughts under a door can bring a lot of dust in. I have always thought the J39s were more common on ex GN metals rather than exNER mind you I am no authority on LNER matters.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Not a bad idea the curtain, maybe one for the inside of the 1/2" thick blast door that is the external door would be good too? ;-}

Parky up the box at the minute, wind is in the wrond direction and coming through the north wall!

Andy g

Yes, the side entrance door is pretty good but any kind of extra insulation helps. I've got some very temporary things hanging down at the mo. Partly to cover the half-sealed (it won't open, but lets a draft through) cat-flap!

The thermometer may not read very low tonight but that driving easterly wind is very cutting! All the best - hope you have the heating on.

It's going to be fun tomorrow when 3 bedroom windows are removed - unless the wind drops!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I think you should leave the door it is meant to be the S&C not eggsactly known for heat waves but well known for cutting winds that go right through you. We have one here tonight dog walking was more like scott in the antartic.

Actually it sounds like it will be very pleasant in there. You have to watch for gaps draughts under a door can bring a lot of dust in. I have always thought the J39s were more common on ex GN metals rather than exNER mind you I am no authority on LNER matters.

Don

Hi Don.

I think the south coast is in imminent danger of some snow...we've got intermittent flurries here.

The 2 garage doors are sealed and have a 3 foot stone wall built in behind them to stop anything blowing through. The door being fitted is internal and should be a decent fit - but a draftproofer along the bottom is a good idea - for heat and for dust!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, No doubt you'll be glad when that door goes on. It was -6 deg C in the sticks this morning and the wind-chill made it feel double that. There were rumours that a couple of brass monkeys were looking for a welder.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan.

Only got to about -2C here. A couple of days ago I had loads of frogs playing in the pond, prior to spawning. Now, the pond has a good cm topping of ice. Hope the frogs don't plan on visiting soon...

I've been into the bunker to prepare it for the workman. Glad I'm not planning on working in there until the door is fitted. Brass monkeys indeed!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The Index has been updated to the present time.

If you are ever glancing at it and find any glaring errors, or links that don't work, would you please let me know?

Already made one cock-up this morning. The system decided to save my edits as a load of gobbledegook and in correcting it I wiped out the original text that preceded the photos in post #1. Equivalent text has been inserted.... 

Jeff

Morning Jeff, Have a good day with the door, I haven't noticed before  but do you have any windows in the bunker for natural daylight?

As for warmer down South, well I am not that sure it is, I had a flat on the sea front at Southsea after my first divorce and it always blew a gale there in the winter, mind you it was nice on the roof garden in the summer, with all the young ladies of a certain age tanning their bodies and needing sun cream rubbed in, hahaaaaahhohohohhhhooooo :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Lucky Bodgit :no:

• RMweb Premium

My window fitters have just arrived - in the middle of a mini-blizzard. They have the 3 windows with them, but the door has been delayed and won't go in until later in the week.

Oh well, visions of a toastie existence in the bunker later this evening go out of the window for now.

And Andy, talking of windows. There is a side window into the garage, but the layout area itself is window-free. Good from a security point of view, though a bit of natural light is a great thing.

Ok - heater is now on in the bunker. 5C for starters, so not TOO bad...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, I may freeze in the bunker - actually it's warming up quite nicely - today, but there has been some good news. Just received my latest plaster bandage consignment from Hattons.

I know some people don't like dealing with "box shifters", but I could never criticise Hattons for the quality of service. Order placed on Friday at 11pm, weekend in-between and delivery at 11.30am Monday. That's very good.

I do most of my business with Kernow in Cornwall. Couldn't give them enough praise - they are outstanding. 

So I guess it's a bit more valley-forming for me, after lunch.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I can hardly believe that there hasn't been a single post on here in the last 7+ hours!

Here are a few pics of the valley and stream bed. The valley sides are still at the mod-roc stage. The stream area has had its first coat of plaster, to define the direction. Only part of it has so far been "built". 

Anyway, judge for yourself. What is already down (plaster) will have some more on top (in varying amounts) - tomorrow.

post-13778-0-78929000-1363030585_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-61287100-1363030593_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-23614500-1363030600_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

Jeff

The whole forum seems to be a bit subdued today.

It looks like you're making great progress with the scenic element for the stream. Looking forward to seeing the update tomorrow.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

The whole forum seems to be a bit subdued today.

It looks like you're making great progress with the scenic element for the stream. Looking forward to seeing the update tomorrow.

Duncan

I think you're right, Duncan.

It seems that only you and I have posted in Lunester topics today. I wonder where everyone is? Snowed in, probably!

Jeff

I get all my followed topics emailed to me when updated and even though I was out of the house for nearly 9 hours I only had 18 email alerts.

You could be right about it being the snow butI'd have thought that if that was the case, most people would be tucked up at home. Especialy Bodgit.

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, splendid work!

I wish I had my baseboards built and was starting the scenery. Hey ho.
I have to ask, firstly what happened to the other viaduct/branch line idea, and secondly, how are you going to hide the gaps where the baseboard slides out? 

The magnitude of those earthworks is quite something though,this will look even better when its got some greenery on it.

The viaduct looks stunning - and you said you were worried about building it - you've far outdone me in my scratch-building now!

Good work, look forward to seeing more.