Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, splendid work!

I wish I had my baseboards built and was starting the scenery. Hey ho.

I have to ask, firstly what happened to the other viaduct/branch line idea, and secondly, how are you going to hide the gaps where the baseboard slides out? 

The magnitude of those earthworks is quite something though,this will look even better when its got some greenery on it.

The viaduct looks stunning - and you said you were worried about building it - you've far outdone me in my scratch-building now!

Good work, look forward to seeing more.

Hey, there's some activity on here!!

Hi Jam.

I've just checked the Index (see post 1 or 4000!!) to see when I decided not to proceed with the Branch viaduct....

This sounds ridiculous, but on page 34, posts 834 on (only 4000 posts ago!!!!!) - last September - I decided the Branch viaduct was going to be in the way. It was built - have a look around page 20ish and you'll see it was completed.

As for hiding the sliding join. Well, this will probably sound daft, but I'm going to put a join across from each valley side to the slidey bit. Put grass etc on top and - if/when needed - which shouldn't be often - use a sharp scalpel to cut through, do whatever job is necessary, replace the slidey and re-grass. Hope that makes sense. That is, unless I find a better way to "hide" the join. It's a price worth paying - and only a little work to sort.

The scenics are why I build the layout, so any chance to go crazy on them I'll take!!

YES, I'm a lunatic!! That's why I'm a Lunester.

Do have a look at the Index if you've got a few minutes.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking fantastic Jeff, keep the updates & the pics coming.

I for one enjoy the pics of anything on here, even the wiring, just like Sir Bodgit.

Chip

Hi Chip.

I'll see if I can come up with some more photos to keep you interested. I'll even take a photo of my neatened-up Control/Mimic panel and post that - maybe tomorrow. Sir Bodgit will enjoy that too!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

It appears that life continues.

Duncan

Yes Duncan.... things come alive at night.

Btw, VERY glad to see you've got yourself some space for the layout (as mentioned in the Lounge). sorry - I know nothing of Southern operations. I'd have thought Polly or her hubby (Ray/Tender) might put a suggestion or two in. Isn't there an appropriate section for your chosen area in Special Interests?

Jeff

Btw, VERY glad to see you've got yourself some space for the layout (as mentioned in the Lounge). sorry - I know nothing of Southern operations. I'd have thought Polly or her hubby (Ray/Tender) might put a suggestion or two in. Isn't there an appropriate section for your chosen area in Special Interests?

Jeff

Jeff

There is a Southern Section but at present with the fundamental changes to my personal situation I'm just seeing what the Lunesters can come up with. Especialy as even the boards won't go down until the end of the summer.

The Lunesters breadth of knowledge knows very few boundaries and I respect their opinions and thoughts.

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

I didn't know there'd been a model of 70019 "Lightning" - well, at least I haven't seen one.

If the scenery WAS S&C it'd be white with snow at the moment!

Jeff

most people would be tucked up at home. Especialy Bodgit.

Hi Duncan, I wish I was, We took the dog out this afternoon and it was lovely, cold but sunny, I had to nip into the clubroom to pick up some bis for Glenfinick and not had time to look on the web.hahhheee :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Chip.

I'll see if I can come up with some more photos to keep you interested. I'll even take a photo of my neatened-up Control/Mimic panel and post that - maybe tomorrow. Sir Bodgit will enjoy that too!!

Jeff

Waiting with baited breath, NOT, :no: hahhaaaa

Jeff

The Lunesters breadth of knowledge knows very few boundaries and I respect their opinions and thoughts.

Duncan

In that case Duncan you have deffinately LOST THE PLOT :stinker:  and need to see a shrink, :scratchhead: :boast:

P.S. I think you are just behind me in the line. :no:

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Just popped in to see what the controversy was and your progress, as we have been 'putting things inside of things' ready for Thursday.  I'm still not convinced we'll be ready but my wife is.

If you have built an S&C layout it would be difficult to have too much LNER stuff but there is something nice about an 0-6-0 tender engine.

I really like your valley and stream, I think it looks fabulous.  Not a lot of water to go in there I presume? 

Could you have a strip, of material or something that you could put down and take up to cover the join?

Hi Jeff, great pics of the Valley of the Lunes, :no: , I was looking for the Pyramids :nono:  :nono:  it looks like you have had a good day and with NO DOOR you will need to work harder to keep warm. hahahheeeee :angel:

Did you find David Wrights Article on the water? and if so I hope it helps, I will be seeing him on Wednesday for a chat.

I am keen to see the next installment of pics, at our club we had some Green Matt paint and painted our hillside before attacking it with grass as we could get a better idea of its final shape. It changes contour completely in green compared with the white of the Plaster.

Have a good day tomorrow, and you never know I may start a Glenfinick thread. :boast: :scratchhead: :scared: :scared: :scared:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and ye merry Lunesters.

Really quiet on here earlier then wondered why my ears were burning.... :scratchhead:

Jeff

Chosen area?  Special interest?  It's beginning to sound like Mastermind... :boast: but I've started, so I'll finish so that I can become a  MasterLune     :lol:  though I will add there's some really clever stuff on here............ :sungum:

Jeff

There is a Southern Section but at present with the fundamental changes to my personal situation I'm just seeing what the Lunesters can come up with. Especialy as even the boards won't go down until the end of the summer.

Duncan

Ah, that's why you can't keep us Lunesters under control, Jeff. 

I've made several visits to Oxted Park since Christmas filling in missing bits of my Southern knowledge.  I first became aware of NSE doing an art and design course when I had to redesign an advert.  My chosen subject ad was a NSE one for a visit to Hampton Court.  Made some mistakes and passes on the way but the end product made it into my final exhibition.

My Southern knowledge mostly centres on the North Cornwall and the southwest, and a bit about the LBSC area and steam in Kent.

I've not got a fantastic memory, like some, so I have to rely on books, etc to refresh the memory.

Since I've been a delver into books for bits of info for as long as I can remember, this modelling lark gives me a good excuse to carry on doing just that  :read:  but not now - time for bed.  :laugh:

Night all.

Since I've been a delver into books for bits of info for as long as I can remember, this modelling lark gives me a good excuse to carry on doing just that  :read:  but not now - time for bed.  :laugh:

Night all.

Boing, said Zebadee

Hi Rob,

I didn't know there'd been a model of 70019 "Lightning" - well, at least I haven't seen one.

If the scenery WAS S&C it'd be white with snow at the moment!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

We have sun sun and more sun here. No rain at all. About 22C each day, 10C at night... It's boring! Draught has lowered our lovely $-earning farm exports a tad.  Still, can't complain...

70019 is a TMC re-numbered and weathered standard Hornby model bought a few years ago ...   it was originally a 70010 'Owen Glendower' or 70038 'Robin Hood' from memory, and I'm not sure if Hornby have done a version with correct rectangular smoke-deflector handholds as per 70019's actual c1960 Western Region modification.  I think they might made a rectangular handhold version have but I probably missed it.  In any event 70019 finished up at Carlisle, probably with warning flashes under the grime.  edit... they did 70015 'Apolllo'

Still has the atmosphere of the S&C about it, and that's the beauty of these things. Oh, no, wait,  not sure about the bullhead rail...   remember the pain of building that section of C&L my me myself ? About 50 years ago...?

See? .. senility is clear.

Best,

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Did I read a few weeks ago you were after a Hornby 8F Jeff? See Classified if so.

Many thanks Larry. I actually bought one in January - and a fine loco it is too!

I appreciate you pointing that out, as an 8F will be an integral part of KL.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

This place really is amazing! I went to bed early last night - pre 11pm - which is very unusual. It had been very quiet all day, but appears to have exploded into life after 10.30!! Irony!

Thanks for the comments Chris. I've only put a small amount of plaster on the middle section, so far. so I'll do a bit more work today. As for a strip along the join - again, I don't know at this stage what will be possible. It'll be fun to try things and see what happens. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not averse to actually joining the sections with a strip of mod-roc and grassing over, if necessary.

No Pyramids, Andy. No door either - Thursday, I'm told. Very cool in there this morning but, as you say, I'll just have to move faster and work harder!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob, thanks for the background to the photo. I do remember the track-building efforts - must have been around page 80/90 - a mere 4 months ago!!

I actually have 70015 Apollo - with the smoke-deflector hand-holds. Lovely model. In my opinion, you can't have too many Brits. I need to get some more - and a Clan.

Keep the pictures coming. They offer a bit of class to the thread - and seem to be popular!

Enjoy your warmth. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, those joins don't look to visible in the photos but it could be the white plaster bleaching things out. Seems an interesting idea to cover the joins and only expose them when you need access. As regards loco stock, I went mad last night and pre-ordered most of the LMS steam that Bachy will produce over the coming months, 1F, 4F and a Stanier mogul, plus a couple of MR brake vans too. I just hope they don't all turn up in the same month.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and ye merry Lunesters.

Really quiet on here earlier then wondered why my ears were burning.... :scratchhead:

Chosen area?  Special interest?  It's beginning to sound like Mastermind... :boast: but I've started, so I'll finish so that I can become a  MasterLune     :lol:  though I will add there's some really clever stuff on here............ :sungum:

Ah, that's why you can't keep us Lunesters under control, Jeff.

I've made several visits to Oxted Park since Christmas filling in missing bits of my Southern knowledge.  I first became aware of NSE doing an art and design course when I had to redesign an advert.  My chosen subject ad was a NSE one for a visit to Hampton Court.  Made some mistakes and passes on the way but the end product made it into my final exhibition.

My Southern knowledge mostly centres on the North Cornwall and the southwest, and a bit about the LBSC area and steam in Kent.

I've not got a fantastic memory, like some, so I have to rely on books, etc to refresh the memory.

Night all.

Morning Polly. I'm hoping it won't be as quiet today. We still had 500 views on the thread, so KL should reach 90,000 views by tomorrow, the threads first birthday!

What's this about keeping Lunesters under control? Wouldn't dream of it - the chaos and unpredictability are what makes the fun. Hee hee.  :jester:

I learn something new every day - especially from Sir B..... I never knew wax could be so useful!!  :no:  :nono:

I see the smileys have returned in your posts!! Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, those joins don't look to visible in the photos but it could be the white plaster bleaching things out. Seems an interesting idea to cover the joins and only expose them when you need access. As regards loco stock, I went mad last night and pre-ordered most of the LMS steam that Bachy will produce over the coming months, 1F, 4F and a Stanier mogul, plus a couple of MR break vans too. I just hope they don't all turn up in the same month.

Well done - something to look forward to (your credit card may not agree!!)

I have a similar problem - my 2 A4s and sound class 40 are probably going to appear in August. If the Kernow Western turns up at the same time - ouch!! And then there's the Bachy 4F - when's that due out?

Nevermind. We wait for ages for some of these locos etc, so buy them while you can get them!

-4C here last night. Dread to think what it was at Leyburn! At least that biting wind seems to have abated a little.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, the 4F is due June/July, so probably early autumn when it actually arrives. It was actually a little warmer this morning than it was yesterday only -2. Don't know what it was last night, I must get my max/min thermometer from my daughter and bring it to the new house.