Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi JEFF CONGRATS ON 250 PAGES, :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Great stuff mate.

Bodgit :sungum:

250 pages - quite incredible!!

Thanks to all the contributors. I wonder if KL will be finished before another 250 have passed!?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

250 pages - quite incredible!!

Thanks to all the contributors. I wonder if KL will be finished before another 250 have passed!?

Jeff

If it is then good on you.

If not then no problem, there is no hurry,

And anyway, is a Model Railway ever finished?

Prof Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

If it is then good on you.

If not then no problem, there is no hurry,

And anyway, is a Model Railway ever finished?

Prof Bodgit

I think the answer to that is "no"...

I've been in the bunker for the last hour or so. I took the 2 bridges and placed them in position. A few mods were needed to the cutting walls I've already built, but I think I now know how they'll look - and I'm very pleased. I can accommodate wing walls on both sides of each bridge, and the 2 bridges "flow" - so the aqueduct shouldn't look out of place, once built.

I'll take a provisional photo of the arrangement in the morning and post it on here.

Jeff

I think the answer to that is "no"...

I've been in the bunker for the last hour or so. I took the 2 bridges and placed them in position. A few mods were needed to the cutting walls I've already built, but I think I now know how they'll look - and I'm very pleased. I can accommodate wing walls on both sides of each bridge, and the 2 bridges "flow" - so the aqueduct shouldn't look out of place, once built.

I'll take a provisional photo of the arrangement in the morning and post it on here.

Jeff

I am looking forward to seeing the pics as it will help my OLD GREY MATTER to see what the eck u r on about

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

I am looking forward to seeing the pics as it will help my OLD GREY MATTER to see what the eck u r on about

Bodgit

Tell you what, Andy. I'll show a photo, then I'll do one of my infamous multi-coloured photo-shop sketches on the top, so you "get the picture". 

I should be able to manage that ready for your coffee and scones at 11!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Btw.... I was looking through the Bachmann 2013/14 catalogue to check details of the class 40 and 4F. Found a little beauty, due later this year....

Jubilee "Victoria". Shedded at Leeds Holbeck for most of the 1950s and did at least one railtour - in 1966 - on the S&C. Late crest, weathered. 

So I'll add that to the list....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, Just reporting back after returning from the nuptuals and making a start on catching up.I also have a stack of work emails to wade through plus a small mountain of paperwork and post to attack, so it may be some time before I am up to date, but good to see that progress and high standards are being maintained.

Can thoroughly recommend the Waiting Rooms at the old Warkworth Station for that getaway break with added railway interest!

Tell you what, Andy. I'll show a photo, then I'll do one of my infamous multi-coloured photo-shop sketches on the top, so you "get the picture". 

I should be able to manage that ready for your coffee and scones at 11!!   :sungum:   :sungum:

Jeff

No scones in Cumbria, but I have got my coffee & I'm keeping one eye on here looking forward to a photo or two. 

Eagerly awaiting Lune

Edited by Chipster

• RMweb Premium

I should be able to manage that ready for your coffee and scones at 11!!   :sungum:   :sungum:

Jeff

No scones in Cumbria, but I have got my coffee & I'm keeping one eye on here looking forward to a photo or two. 

Eagerly awaiting Lune

Sorry for the delay. I've had to do a bit more cutting of the cutting (sounds odd), have taken some photos and when I've come to download them the camera needs recharging. So it's on charge now and I'll put pics on here asap - probably by 1pm at the latest.

Whereabouts in Cumbria are you, Chip?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Just reporting back after returning from the nuptuals and making a start on catching up.I also have a stack of work emails to wade through plus a small mountain of paperwork and post to attack, so it may be some time before I am up to date, but good to see that progress and high standards are being maintained.

Can thoroughly recommend the Waiting Rooms at the old Warkworth Station for that getaway break with added railway interest!

Good to have you back, Jonathan! Sounds like everything went well. I hope your new SWMBO is treating you kindly - especially with the modelling budget!

Lovely day outside. I've done a couple of hours work in the bunker over the last 2 days - first time in there for quite a while. Don't work too hard with all that exciting bureaucracy you have on your desk!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Good to have you back, Jonathan! Sounds like everything went well. I hope your new SWMBO is treating you kindly - especially with the modelling budget!

Lovely day outside. I've done a couple of hours work in the bunker over the last 2 days - first time in there for quite a while. Don't work too hard with all that exciting bureaucracy you have on your desk!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, one of the first things SWMBO said on returning to abode was we must get somebody in to put Velux and electric in the loft. Also have on order Bachy 4F, Stanier Mogul, and Midland Brake vans, so looking good so far!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, one of the first things SWMBO said on returning to abode was we must get somebody in to put Velux and electric in the loft. Also have on order Bachy 4F, Stanier Mogul, and Midland Brake vans, so looking good so far!

Yes, the 4F is essential. As I mentioned yesterday, there is also a very nice green Jubilee, 31-188, in the pipeline.

Sounds like your new wife shares a degree of your passion for the hobby. Excellent!

Jeff

After a cracking weekend away and having caught up on the emails that I had to deal with, I'm now starting to catch up with some of the threads.

Excellent photos of B1's

The bridge is coming together nicely. I like the plans for the aqueduct shown in the photo.

Paints, I only use acrylics at the moment but could be pursuaded otherwise

Welcome back Jonathan.

Time for a coffee and then plough through some more topics.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, new SWMBO does like railways, but as the layout will be in the loft and she has a dodgy knee, I am hoping she will not be doing too much poking around with MY railway. My Jubs have to red, so I am hoping for a renumbered one, preferably Manchester-based.

BTW what are you going to do with the "holes" that the tracks enter after passing under the aqueducts. sorry if you have answered this before, but I might not have caught up on that yet.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, new SWMBO does like railways, but as the layout will be in the loft and she has a dodgy knee, I am hoping she will not be doing too much poking around with MY railway. My Jubs have to red, so I am hoping for a renumbered one, preferably Manchester-based.

BTW what are you going to do with the "holes" that the tracks enter after passing under the aqueducts. sorry if you have answered this before, but I might not have caught up on that yet.

By the time I've fitted the rock walls on the cutting sides, and added a fair bit of vegetation, the holes will be a fair bit smaller. They are also out of the line of sight from the operating well, so I'm not too worried.....

Hope that makes sense.

Btw, how often do Bachmann release a red Jubilee model? They are great locos and the model is superb - I only have one at the mo, but that will change!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

No apology needed, it's YOUR layout for YOU to do what YOU want with at the speed YOU want.

Excellent work as usual, that's why I love the photo's, that ground level shot is fantastic.

Where about's in Cumbria am I??

I think I once said I was within 10 miles of KSW (Kirkby Stephen West), having now just checked on a route planner it seems I told a little "porky pie", it's actually 10.9 miles, unless of course I'm a CROW, in which case I might just have told the truth!!

I'm in Orton, approx 2.5 miles north of J38 of the M6 (which you will know pretty well) and on a day like today it's the best place in the world. Far too nice to be indoors though.

After seeing those photo's I'm now "Satisfied Lune".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

No apology needed, it's YOUR layout for YOU to do what YOU want with at the speed YOU want.

Excellent work as usual, that's why I love the photo's, that ground level shot is fantastic.

Where about's in Cumbria am I??

I think I once said I was within 10 miles of KSW (Kirkby Stephen West), having now just checked on a route planner it seems I told a little "porky pie", it's actually 10.9 miles, unless of course I'm a CROW, in which case I might just have told the truth!!

I'm in Orton, approx 2.5 miles north of J38 of the M6 (which you will know pretty well) and on a day like today it's the best place in the world. Far too nice to be indoors though.

After seeing those photo's I'm now "Satisfied Lune".

I do indeed know J38 very well. I'm wondering if the "Toy Factory" that is signed at the Tebay junction is near Orton? A lovely place to live. Must admit, I'd love to be in your area as the relative paucity of lighting would allow me to see the sky properly - even if it is often cloudy in Cumbria.

Glad you like the photos - I'm fairly chuffed with how the 2 bridges fit in - should look better when the hills, cuttings, aqueduct etc are all in place. I'll get there in the end!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Having been out of the house for the last 4 hours I'm wondering where Bodgit has got to....

I specifically did the "sketch photo" to try and explain my mutterings to him!

Andy, where are you?!!

Hope to get a lot more work done on the branch bridge tomorrow.

Jeff

Hi Jeff Bridge pics look good BUT don't tel the Lone Ranger that Tontos mates are over the hill with their Bows and Arrows.

HHAHAHAAHHHAahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ugh :O :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

I still cant get my head around where it will go inside the layout, will it just go to the inner baseboard edge?

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff Bridge pics look good BUT don't tel the Lone Ranger that Tontos mates are over the hill with their Bows and Arrows.

HHAHAHAAHHHAahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ugh :O :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

I still cant get my head around where it will go inside the layout, will it just go to the inner baseboard edge?

Bodgit

Yes Andy, that's right. It IS hard to visualise exactly how it will all work out - and I'm the one building it!!

I'm just glad that Peter, Jason and others suggested this as an alternative to a couple of tunnel mouths. Maybe Tonto would have hidden in there!

Hi ho Silver .... away!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi JEFF i WAS WRITING THE ONE ABOVE AS YOU WERE WRITING THE ONE ABOVE THAT.

hahahhaaaa

Bodgit

Sometimes happens....great brains sending E-waves across the cosmos.... in your case, to Derbyshire!

The complication with the current project is this....

Once the bridges are completed I can't fit them in place until the cuttings have been fitted with rock faces. The rock faces have to be painted and vegetation added. I can leave the ballasting for a while as I CAN access the track with the bridges in place. But until the bridges are in place I can't fit the remainder of the cuttings and get onto the stone walling of the aqueduct....

A lot of stuff in a small part of the layout!

Jeff