Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Which Jubilee have you ordered, Rob? A weathered Drake or Baroda? Great locos and very much a part of the S&C.

Winter has only just left here!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I ordered 31-177  45593 'Kolhapur' in early BR green, would have chosen late BR emblem but few late emblem around. I already have Hong Kong (Stanier tender) and Baroda (Fowler tender), so Kolhapur seemed a nice choice, and I think Jubilees look lovely when at least lightly weathered. Graceful engines.

Someone in the Hornby section has pointed out that my pic of 30778 'Sir Pelleas' is wrong and that it never carried late crest, as Hornby produced it...  so I have done an early crest version..   I am somewhat of a skeptic about exact condition, emblems and so on, when things were changed without being recorded, or recorded but not actually changed. 30778 was shopped twice in 1957 so its possible that she just missed the emblem change because the paintshop foreman had the 'flu, or somesuch technical thing.  It's only a problem when things are well out, like LMS in 1955  or suchlike that it matters.  I will however be careful to put a grimy 'Kolhapur' at the head of suitable Stanier coaches, probably blood and custard,  or if the mood takes, make it late crest with maroon carriages.

Equally of course one likes to put the right era together correctly with coaches, and my crimson LMS Patriot will perhaps be a nice 1930s S&C scene.  (although we both know that pre 1945 everything was in black and white, historical records prove it)

Cold here today. 10C.   Brrr.

Rob

Hi Jeff.

With regards to weathering, I have to say, I haven't a clue how to do it, but an old pal has just come back to the hobby and is looking to complete a portfolio of weathering projects before going into the weathering business. Give him a PM on here, (eric and gripper), and you may get a good deal on a few projects which will be done individually to your own specifications.

Cheers.

Sean.

Jeff, you can nay run your trains without crew and coal.

Fire irons also help to add finess to a finely modeled loco

Baron Bodgit

Actually, I differ here, because I find model figures which don't move and are 'cast' rather less real than imagined ones!    I blame the clockwork Hornby trains I played with when I was 4....

As a compromise, I can accept a fireman leaning thoughtfully on his shovel...

edit; and I'll photoshop him into BR working pose.

as an aside, firing on any main line steam expresses in the 50s was bloody hard work at times, like firing a Peppercorn A1 from Edinburgh to Newcastle with a 500-ton Night Scotsman, and back, shifting 7-8 tons of coal on a shaking rolling footplate as well as the other work, 7 days in a row,  event the fittest men used to fade away. They got extra night money and distance allowance, so wot are they complainin aboot?

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

With regards to weathering, I have to say, I haven't a clue how to do it, but an old pal has just come back to the hobby and is looking to complete a portfolio of weathering projects before going into the weathering business. Give him a PM on here, (eric and gripper), and you may get a good deal on a few projects which will be done individually to your own specifications.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean.

Many thanks for the info., which I will certainly bear in mind. I think that - once I get time (I seem to be getting nowhere at the moment) later in the year - I'll be getting an airbrush and having a bit of a play on some wagons and tankers. I'm not especially artistic, but I do quite fancy a challenge! Locos, however, are another thing. Maybe wagon weathering might lead to working on an 08 shunter or 25 - something relatively cheap (!!!!).... we'll see!

Thanks again - maybe you should keep an eye on the thread towards the end of the year if you want a good laugh at my efforts!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I ordered 31-177  45593 'Kolhapur' in early BR green, would have chosen late BR emblem but few late emblem around. I already have Hong Kong (Stanier tender) and Baroda (Fowler tender), so Kolhapur seemed a nice choice, and I think Jubilees look lovely when at least lightly weathered. Graceful engines.

Someone in the Hornby section has pointed out that my pic of 30778 'Sir Pelleas' is wrong and that it never carried late crest, as Hornby produced it...  so I have done an early crest version..   I am somewhat of a skeptic about exact condition, emblems and so on, when things were changed without being recorded, or recorded but not actually changed. 30778 was shopped twice in 1957 so its possible that she just missed the emblem change because the paintshop foreman had the 'flu, or somesuch technical thing.  It's only a problem when things are well out, like LMS in 1955  or suchlike that it matters.  I will however be careful to put a grimy 'Kolhapur' at the head of suitable Stanier coaches, probably blood and custard,  or if the mood takes, make it late crest with maroon carriages.

Equally of course one likes to put the right era together correctly with coaches, and my crimson LMS Patriot will perhaps be a nice 1930s S&C scene.  (although we both know that pre 1945 everything was in black and white, historical records prove it)

Cold here today. 10C.   Brrr.

Rob

Rob - I'd agree about getting it right, where possible. but there are often a lot of variables in the mix and crests are certainly one of them.

I've only one Jubilee (Alberta) at the moment, but I intend to stock-up with a couple more, and a couple more Patriots, over the next year or so. At least Bachmann seem keen to produce a decent range of them and I love the green livery versions (maroon is pretty good, too!)

I'm looking forward to the Brits arriving. then it'll be "play time" for an hour or so!

Jeff

As an aside, firing on any main line steam expresses in the 50s was bloody hard work at times, like firing a Peppercorn A1 from Edinburgh to Newcastle with a 500-ton Night Scotsman, and back, shifting 7-8 tons of coal on a shaking rolling footplate as well as the other work, 7 days in a row,  event the fittest men used to fade away. They got extra night money and distance allowance, so wot are they complainin aboot?

How did you get this kind of top link work when you were born in 1950 Rob.....?

Hi Sean.

Many thanks for the info., which I will certainly bear in mind. I think that - once I get time (I seem to be getting nowhere at the moment) later in the year - I'll be getting an airbrush and having a bit of a play on some wagons and tankers. I'm not especially artistic, but I do quite fancy a challenge! Locos, however, are another thing. Maybe wagon weathering might lead to working on an 08 shunter or 25 - something relatively cheap (!!!!).... we'll see!

Thanks again - maybe you should keep an eye on the thread towards the end of the year if you want a good laugh at my efforts!

Jeff

I certainly won't be laughing Jeff.

Whilst I'm no stranger to a sheet of plasticard, a sharp scalpel and a hacksaw, when it comes to weathering, I'm absolutely pants which is why Andys, (Eric and Gripper), return to the hobby was a godsend. Needless to say I was happy to let him have a large amount of my completed stock, (he's currently got some of my 25's and an 08 as well as my K1 conversion and has recently done a couple of fish vans to a very high standard), for what I always regard as the finishing touch to any model.

Cracking work on the layout so far BTW, I've been lurking in the background keeping up to speed with what's happening. Very inspirational.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

I certainly won't be laughing Jeff.

Whilst I'm no stranger to a sheet of plasticard, a sharp scalpel and a hacksaw, when it comes to weathering, I'm absolutely pants which is why Andys, (Eric and Gripper), return to the hobby was a godsend. Needless to say I was happy to let him have a large amount of my completed stock, (he's currently got some of my 25's and an 08 as well as my K1 conversion and has recently done a couple of fish vans to a very high standard), for what I always regard as the finishing touch to any model.

Cracking work on the layout so far BTW, I've been lurking in the background keeping up to speed with what's happening. Very inspirational.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks very much Sean. Comments very much appreciated....

Funny thing, layout building. I spent about 4 months laying the track and wiring up. It was tedious at times, but mostly fun and a challenge to ensure it all worked properly. Then a couple of months building the hillside etc. A fair amount of time, but always something going on. Now I'm working on one corner and I feel I've ground to a halt - not true, of course. Plenty of challenges ahead and the feedback on here keeps me going.

Agree entirely about the weathering. A "dark art" that I'll have a go at, but for "top" work I'll leave it to the experts.

Keep lurking!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I check in here all the time but haven't posted much, so thought I'd add some encouragement to the mix. It's a big project, as is mine, and the flow of massive progress followed by periods of gaining seemingly little ground, is part of the fun for me. It seems so for you too. It's always interesting to see what you've done.

I'm intrigued by your order of progress though - and this is no criticism, just an observation - I'd have been painting and ballasting the track (and maybe weathering too) before the 245 tons of plaster went up. Can you get enough access to the various areas to do this? I guess it depends on method too......mine is from Captain Kernow and Gordon S and does involve painting PVA then applying ballast and vacuuming the excess, rather than the usual dripping PVA/water/detergent on top.

Anyway, I know you'll have thought of this already, and the answer may be lurking somewhere in the thread so apologies if so.

Iain

• RMweb Premium

Morning Iain.

No need for apologies - the answer is probably out there - somewhere - in the last 150 pages!

Under normal circumstances I'd have ballasted the track by now. I can access all the track in the scenic area, so that's not a problem. I've even got a few headshunts that I still need to add, so I'd better do that before I forget (and the goods yard sidings have also to go in). I decided to proceed in the way I have as I fancied a bit more scratchbuilding and I wanted to "force" myself into starting the (never-ending) stone-walls!

As for ballasting, I'm still not sure what method I'll try. I remember a long discussion about the Captain Kernow-GordonS method, with some advocates and some saying it wasn't adequate for the "deep ballasted" look. I'll have to give it a go - which then reminds me that I need to stock-up with the N gauge ballast I'm going to use....

My brain hurts....but this is supposed to be fun...isn't it!?

Hope you're happy with the progress on Camden shed. Still stocking-up with those wonderful 9Fs I hope!

Jeff

It's all supposed to be fun, Jeff, which is why Long Marton has sat with very little done for the last month and a half or so...the 28 got it's replacement smoke generators installed, and I fiddled around with the "new" stationary decoder for the Appleby bell box, but most of my time has been diverted elsewhere by nice weather, got a metal arbour (? spelling) installed last night, the van is full of plywood and 2x4's for a _non_ layout project, the lawn has been mown (x2), and some measurements taken for the ongoing plan of 7.5"/4.75"/3.5"/2.5" railway.  That, and monster care, along with doing another Lego show (last until September), and lots of teaching at work of the real world of physics (water is wet !)

Don`t knock yourself over the head with the coal hammer because progress is slower than you would like if you are doing other things that you like,

James

• Like 1

Don`t knock yourself over the head with the coal hammer because progress is slower than you would like if you are doing other things that you like,

James

I totally agree with James. This is why I deliberately rip the track up on mine, turn the baseboard around, smash things to pieces and inflict injuries upon myself to slow progress down so that you won't feel bad!....Not a lot of people know that... :mosking: 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I totally agree with James. This is why I deliberately rip the track up on mine, turn the baseboard around, smash things to pieces and inflict injuries upon myself to slow progress down so that you won't feel bad!....Not a lot of people know that... :mosking: 

A fantastic post Larry. And do you know - I almost believe you!!!

I've glanced at Greenfield a few times over the last month and I must admit that, at each visit, I wonder what I'll find!

Thanks for giving me a good laugh. I shall now go and cut my fingers so I can have a (justifiable) week off modelling!!  :O  :O  :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's all supposed to be fun, Jeff, which is why Long Marton has sat with very little done for the last month and a half or so...the 28 got it's replacement smoke generators installed, and I fiddled around with the "new" stationary decoder for the Appleby bell box, but most of my time has been diverted elsewhere by nice weather, got a metal arbour (? spelling) installed last night, the van is full of plywood and 2x4's for a _non_ layout project, the lawn has been mown (x2), and some measurements taken for the ongoing plan of 7.5"/4.75"/3.5"/2.5" railway.  That, and monster care, along with doing another Lego show (last until September), and lots of teaching at work of the real world of physics (water is wet !)

James

Thanks James. I need a continuous reality check to remind me that there's more to life than modelling. In fact, at the moment, I'm listening to some thrash metal - loud - while watching the cycling at the Giro d'Italia.

Your post also reminded me that I still need to get that class 28. It's slipped down the pecking order recently - have to admit I'd completely forgotten about it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

*cough* Black Fives, and plenty of them *cough*

Bad cough that, Jason. I've got it too....

*cough* Black 5s *cough* Jubilees *cough* Britannias *cough* 9Fs *cough* 4Fs *cough*.....

Blasted pollen must be getting to me!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Do they have pollen in Stockton Jeff?

Yes, Peter. We're lucky in Stockton. Just far enough north to be in the Arctic Circle (from a south of England perspective) but far enough south to be able to grow the odd tree or two that produces pollen!  :O  :O

Didn't you know: the S&C terminates at the North Pole!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Pollen? I didn't here anyone sneeze!

Are you sure it's not ash, coal dust and soot, Jeff?  You know.  With all those Black 5s.

Enjoyed the photos, Rob.  We have 30777 Sir Lamiel late BR; saw it at Model Rail Live (Barrowhill) steaming out of the roundhouse. Well, we saw the steam...  Superb.

Polly

Hi Jeff, Rob and anyone else interested, here is a couple of pics from the Derby Show today, and it is of an O Gauge layout, Camden, the layout belonging to one of our Club Members, George Godfrey, (that's not him in the first pics by the way, that's Simon)

post-9335-0-79642200-1368309468_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96335400-1368309509_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-93096400-1368309594_thumb.jpg

Great Show by the way, I was working an East German HO layout, I now have some new ideas.

I also met Web member Hugh Flynn from Pontifract, a really nice guy.

Bodgit

• Like 3

Thanks for those pics Andy. I've only managed to see pics and videos of the O Gauge Camden1B - if you get any tip offs where it might be exhibited do let me know as I'd like to see it in the flesh, for obvious reasons.

Iain

I love that early BR Patriot....   must buy another!

Actually that's a very fine photo you have taken there. I love the tone and balance. Pity about the human figures. We used to avoid them when photographing trains in the 60s.   Well, we could photoshop them now...     (just joking... I would never compromise art....  oh, no, wait....)

Edited by robmcg

How did you get this kind of top link work when you were born in 1950 Rob.....?

Apart from Dad working in the railways and his Dad being top link NZ Railways 1920-42  I just read the Irwell Press 'Steam Days at Haymarket' by Harry Knox...  very well-written accounts of firing A1s   ...  if I close my eyes hard I am there...

yours,

Mother of Three

Edited by robmcg