Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Not yet, in fact we were in Madrid last weekend with a bunch of mates when I suppose we should have been packing.

Ah well, you're such a cool dude! I was in sunny.....Grosmont! Nice locos though!!

Just sitting down with a new can of evostik to work on more plastikard...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, just read another way of producing walling for dry stone walling, again in the RM. This time mixe air drying clay with water to make a thick paste, and then put it through a mastic gun (guessing one for pointing) and make long clay straws, which you leave to dry overnight. then cut into 2.5, 3, and 4mm lengths.

Start walling with two courses of 4mm with neat pva, then two courses of 3mm and one of the 2.5 mm ones. The copers were made of plaster of paris dripped onto polythene sheeting to make disc-like shapes, and left to dry. Then these were broken into small peices and stuck vertically to the top of the wall.

he painted his with black emulsion and when dry flecked with white emulsion. Then weathered to eye.

Sounds easy doesn't it?

Andy G

Who has achieved nothing as the boss has been out in the few hours where modeelling can be done!

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, just read another way of producing walling for dry stone walling, again in the RM. This time mixe air drying clay with water to make a thick paste, and then put it through a mastic gun (guessing one for pointing) and make long clay straws, which you leave to dry overnight. then cut into 2.5, 3, and 4mm lengths.

Start walling with two courses of 4mm with neat pva, then two courses of 3mm and one of the 2.5 mm ones. The copers were made of plaster of paris dripped onto polythene sheeting to make disc-like shapes, and left to dry. Then these were broken into small peices and stuck vertically to the top of the wall.

he painted his with black emulsion and when dry flecked with white emulsion. Then weathered to eye.

Sounds easy doesn't it?

Andy G

Who has achieved nothing as the boss has been out in the few hours where modeelling can be done!

Thanks Andy - you're a bit of a star when it comes to sending me ideas!

I've already made a set of channels - using plastikard as described in February's RM. So I'm going to try that method first.

It's been very quiet lately - not least because you, Duncan and Bodgit have been posting less than previously. Me too, come to think of it!

Jeff

Thanks Andy - you're a bit of a star when it comes to sending me ideas!

I've already made a set of channels - using plastikard as described in February's RM. So I'm going to try that method first.

It's been very quiet lately - not least because you, Duncan and Bodgit have been posting less than previously. Me too, come to think of it!

Jeff

Jeff

I'm hoping to rectify that at least in the evenings.

I have to admit that I like the idea from Andy G for the walling. Sounds like an interesting solution.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I can only apologise for not saying much recently! Its partly to with you doing stuff that I can't really comment on, and the others talking about stuff I don't understand!

Now when you get back to doing stuff that I can talk about you won't be able to shut me up.... ;-}

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I have to admit that I like the idea from Andy G for the walling. Sounds like an interesting solution.

Duncan

It's not my idea, its Bob Beaumonts (this months RM railway of the month).... so no credit to me please!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Duncan

I can only apologise for not saying much recently! Its partly to with you doing stuff that I can't really comment on, and the others talking about stuff I don't understand!

Now when you get back to doing stuff that I can talk about you won't be able to shut me up.... ;-}

Andy g

I'm glad to hear that from both of you as it's just been far too quiet. I think the lack of discussion has had the effect of slowing me down. Nothing like a good woffle - any subject - to spur you on.

I'm currently playing with model filler on the branch bridge. My house stinks of a mix of evostik and filler - so I may be a little high!!

I'll try and make the first "stone blocks" over the weekend. That should be the start of a whole new enterprise.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have you planned the wailing yet? again I think that you are going to have to think very carefully about the placing of the walls, especailly on Lunefell, so as to get the right feeling.

Please don't be like the BBC who have had a post and wire fence added to the top of their drystone walls (in the first world war!) and also have concrete kerbstones and, unbeliveably, a grey painted roll-on-roll-off skip featuring in the last 1919 episode of the Village!

Andy G

It's not my idea, its Bob Beaumonts (this months RM railway of the month).... so no credit to me please!

Andy g

Andy

The credit was given for reminding us that it was in there.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Have you planned the wailing yet? again I think that you are going to have to think very carefully about the placing of the walls, especailly on Lunefell, so as to get the right feeling.

Please don't be like the BBC who have had a post and wire fence added to the top of their drystone walls (in the first world war!) and also have concrete kerbstones and, unbeliveably, a grey painted roll-on-roll-off skip featuring in the last 1919 episode of the Village!

Andy G

Andy, I've neither planned where the waLLing is going to go, nor have I started waILing about the prospect of doing so! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I'll have a look at a number of photos of the areas around Arten Gill before putting anything down. There won't be many different walls as most of the fell area would have been largish enclosures. And at the speed I'm going to be making the stuff (a snail's pace), any mistakes can be easily corrected!

The first walling will be going to make the aqueduct. And definitely no wire fencing/barbed wire on top!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I can see you lurking down there....

I've ordered 2 Brits from TMC following your recommendation. I'll post some photos when they arrive.

70004 William Shakespeare and 70040 Clive of India

Jeff

Rob, I can see you lurking down there....

I've ordered 2 Brits from TMC following your recommendation. I'll post some photos when they arrive.

70004 William Shakespeare and 70040 Clive of India

Jeff

Nice one TWO Boss

Jealous Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Nice one TWO Boss

Jealous Bodgit

70040 will be the first sound steam loco I'll have bought. I know you've equipped most of your fleet with sound chips. I'll have a listen and see how it goes - but I'm not going to retro-fit my existing locos.

The Britannia is my joint-favourite steam loco. At least Hornby have made fitting a decoder much easier by placing the socket in the tender. The old Brit was nigh-on impossible to dismantle without bits flying off!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have been around but also busy so that's why I haven't posted much lately.

Bodgit

Seems to be the story for us all, Andy. I actually managed 3 hours work on the bridges today - can't stop sneezing after rubbing the model filler down!!

Oh well, you lot should have something to look at next week if I get those locos and start building my stone walls. Then there's the rock faces, painting the bridges..... What a hobby!

Jeff

EDIT: Hey Chip - that means photos for you to look at!!

Edited by Physicsman

No stonework in evidence here...  just Hornby excellence and TMC-light weathering...  might be medium, I forget.

1957 engine based at Nine Elms, 30778 had what I think was a general overhaul in Jan 1957 at Eastleigh, at least it is described as 'GO'...  and this might explain the late crest.  Two pictures done yesterday and today; familiar fireman, familiar scenes, I have ordered a Jubilee for a proper S&C scene sometime..

post-7929-0-81618500-1368148789.jpg

and

post-7929-0-59676800-1368148828.jpg

Winter coming on here...  

Rob

• Like 2

What a day this is turning out to be, first of all this morning I congratulated myself on not dying in my sleep last night, now the promise of MORE photo's, does life get any better I ask?

Which Jubilee have you ordered, Rob? A weathered Drake or Baroda? Great locos and very much a part of the S&C.

Winter has only just left here!

Jeff

What do you mean WINTER HAS JUST LEFT US :O its raining Cats and Dogs down here,MEEEEOOOW, there goes another one, woof woof :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :sungum:

Bodgit under the umbrella :sungum: :sungum:

Great pics again Rob, thanks,

Have you looked at the Bachmann Loco crews, there are now two types and I still have some Hornby ones and on a check a couple of days ago I have enough packs for another 14 locos.

I must start stocking up, hhahaa with Locos that is :O :o :O :o :O :nono: :nono:

Bodgit of the Yard :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

What a day this is turning out to be, first of all this morning I congratulated myself on not dying in my sleep last night, now the promise of MORE photo's, does life get any better I ask?

Morning Chip.

Glad you woke up alive. And just a reminder - before you get TOO excited - it'll be next week before I get anything worth showing.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Great pics again Rob, thanks,

Have you looked at the Bachmann Loco crews, there are now two types and I still have some Hornby ones and on a check a couple of days ago I have enough packs for another 14 locos.

I must start stocking up, hhahaa with Locos that is :O :o :O :o :O :nono: :nono:

Bodgit of the Yard :sungum:

Until Rob started putting pics on here with loco crews I'd never thought about that particular detail. Oh dear, more money to spend!

No cats and dogs here today - yet. In the kitchen rubbing the plastikard/filler down. Arch liner to go on later.

Jeff

Until Rob started putting pics on here with loco crews I'd never thought about that particular detail. Oh dear, more money to spend!

No cats and dogs here today - yet. In the kitchen rubbing the plastikard/filler down. Arch liner to go on later.

Jeff

Jeff, you can nay run your trains without crew and coal.

Fire irons also help to add finess to a finely modeled loco

Baron Bodgit