Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I'm still in sunny Oxford Larry, moving on Friday and having a clog fitting on Saturday. I actually managed to escape the packing for a few hours yesterday afternoon to go to Railex and being the jammy git I am, got to operate Eskmuir with the Rochdale lads (who had put a few beers away already judging by the pile of empties behind the layout). I also had a chat with the chairman of Shipley MRS about joining their fair society, which is based only a few miles along the canal.

From a modelling perspective, the last thing I did was on Wednesday, when I put together one of the sublime Lanarkshire Models L&Y buffer stop kits. They do some beautiful Midland ones too, and building them is less taxing than trying to make the Peco ones look half decent (e.g. trimming off the erroneous clips they have)

• Like 1

Good luck with the move and clog fitting! My father-in-law wore working clogs and they were a very familiar sound in an age when men walked to work. Andy C of Newhey fame put me onto the Lanarkshire bufferstops. They look very neat but I'll live with the Peco's until such time I can indulge in the little details that mark out a railways territory.

• RMweb Premium

Not very likely....... These Images are on several threads. I'm here to scrounge ideas Jeff. Trouble is, Mr.Bacup has gone off to wippet and flat cap land and several other layouts have dissapeared altogether, so the cupboard is getting bare. Enjoy your day-off........... I'm hoping to do more in the shed while the weather is warm, but Mrs. coach might remember I promised to take her to Llanberis Lake today! :)

Interesting comments. I've found that a few of the layouts I used to regularly visit have disappeared. It's great to watch developing layouts - to see how people approach the job from very different angles.

I have to say that I'll be glad to see Jason move to "whippet and flat cap land" - it'll be good to meet up for the occasional "consultation"!

Off to the NEC this afternoon - are you into heavy rock music Larry?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm still in sunny Oxford Larry, moving on Friday and having a clog fitting on Saturday. I actually managed to escape the packing for a few hours yesterday afternoon to go to Railex and being the jammy git I am, got to operate Eskmuir with the Rochdale lads (who had put a few beers away already judging by the pile of empties behind the layout). I also had a chat with the chairman of Shipley MRS about joining their fair society, which is based only a few miles along the canal.

From a modelling perspective, the last thing I did was on Wednesday, when I put together one of the sublime Lanarkshire Models L&Y buffer stop kits. They do some beautiful Midland ones too, and building them is less taxing than trying to make the Peco ones look half decent (e.g. trimming off the erroneous clips they have)

With all the stuff you get upto, I sometimes wonder how you ever manage to fit any work in!

Hope the clog fitting went well!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

NEC, :O  You will be going past my front door then?

Who are you going to see, a Rock God like yourself???????? :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Morning Andy.

Look no further than my signature, below. Off to see Rush for the n-th time. Canadian power trio, they've been around since 1974 - lost count of how many Rush albums they've released (and I've got).

One of the best drummers in the world, ditto lead guitar and Geddy Lee is an ace bassist. I'm sure you're familiar with them. If not, let me know and I'll copy a selection of cds for you!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Apologies to all of today's viewers..... temporary hiatus due to rock music. Normal service will resume tomorrow!!

Btw, how much modelling I get done over the next 3 months remains to be seen. Visiting a friend last night, I was commissioned to design and build a raised patio, raised beds, connecting pathways and ramp access. I reckon that's a couple of month's work - might get me fit with tonnes of concrete to be hand mixed, trenches to be dug and stonework to be carried and fitted in place. I'll post pictures of progress in the Lounge, whenever I get started!

Jeff

Off to the NEC this afternoon - are you into heavy rock music Larry?

Jeff

Not the heavy head banging stuff my eldest son was into like Led Zep, White Snake and others. I got into the American rock of the late 1950s by accident while playing piano in a rock group. Just as one hides the railway-interests from view when teenagers, I put my music interests on the back-burner! I was brought up with radio and the big bands. 1920s-30s black artists like Washboard Sam and Jellyrole Morton are also an influence. Oh heck, I am now guilty of commiting an off-topic offence! :O  :D 

• RMweb Premium

Not the heavy head banging stuff my eldest son was into like Led Zep, White Snake and others. I got into the American rock of the late 1950s by accident while playing piano in a rock group. Just as one hides the railway-interests from view when teenagers, I put my music interests on the back-burner! I was brought up with radio and the big bands. 1920s-30s black artists like Washboard Sam and Jellyrole Morton are also an influence. Oh heck, I am now guilty of commiting an off-topic offence! :O  :D 

Sounds like you are very remorseful for committing said offence!! Lol.

You know this thread, Larry - until I set up the Lounge we had everything on here from tiddlywinks to Barbie to the Big Bang to clogs.....umm. No problem!

That reminds me - I need to update the modelling Index for KL, so people can actually find stuff.

Enjoy your day at Llanberis Lake!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Main Index updated to the end of page 262 (post 6550).

This took longer than expected - quite surprised at how many "bits and pieces" have been done in the last 2 weeks - rocks, bridges, stone walls , aqueducts.....

Will update the Rob photo index tomorrow.

Jeff

Morning Andy.

Look no further than my signature, below. Off to see Rush for the n-th time. Canadian power trio, they've been around since 1974 - lost count of how many Rush albums they've released (and I've got).

One of the best drummers in the world, ditto lead guitar and Geddy Lee is an ace bassist. I'm sure you're familiar with them. If not, let me know and I'll copy a selection of cds for you!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, by the time you read this you will have wizzed past my front door twice, and not even stopped for a coffee. I AM DISGUSTED, hahhaa,

I WAS OUT ANYWAY , haaaaheee

Anyway as for Rush, NO, I have never listened to them and so I need to remedy that, Mind you IF THEY ARE loud I will hear them from here. BUT I have heard bits of Geddy Lee's work, brilliant.

Bodgit the Bass Man :no:

Edited by Andrew P

Hello all,

Hard work doing the index, thankyou Jeff.

I edited the last Jubilee pic. rotated the cylinders 0.4 degrees and the slidebars 1.4 degrees clockwise. Clearly being fussy, but the thrust of the piston must be in line with centre of driving axle.  Also worried about the clearly 00 gauge effect and apparent slightly undersized driving wheels. Am I going mad?

Do you have these issues with rocks, Jeff?   00 or EM or Scale4?

Rob  (where it is windy, raw, and already snow to near sea level down south..)

edit  just started weathered LMS Crimson unrebuilt Patriot....   will end up with countryside version and shed version, lovely Bachmann model, and also bought an Irwell book on the same.... 

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

The RobMcGavin photo Index (see post #5640) has been updated to the end of post #6625, page 265, end of May 24.

As you will see, he's been fairly prolific with his pictures of late - which is great.

I have Rob to thank for putting me in touch with TMC.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: I enjoyed the concert at the NEC - how could I not??!! Getting home as the eastern sky is showing signs of sunrise isn't conducive to early morning modelling!

Just about to rub down the filler on the branch bridge, check over both bridges - adding a bit of filler as appropriate - then everything should be ready for

painting tomorrow.

I'm going to keep to a lightish grey base colour - in keeping with the rocks and viaduct. However, some black grime will certainly be applied!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Btw, how much modelling I get done over the next 3 months remains to be seen. Visiting a friend last night, I was commissioned to design and build a raised patio, raised beds, connecting pathways and ramp access. I reckon that's a couple of month's work - might get me fit with tonnes of concrete to be hand mixed, trenches to be dug and stonework to be carried and fitted in place.

Jeff

Couldn't you persuade them to have a garden railway.

Update: I enjoyed the concert at the NEC - how could I not??!! Getting home as the eastern sky is showing signs of sunrise isn't conducive to early morning modelling!

Jeff

How dare you have summer light!  We have snow on the beaches at Dunedin, and trucks stuck on hill roads, gale force winds with hail further north here in the lower North Island, with snow on higher hill suburbs.  We follow British precedent by making news of slightly bad weather...

Trains are all running to time.  So far.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

Just a quick look on here tonight as I have been watching the making of  Slack Bladder WHOOPS Black Adder.

I am looking forward to the pics Jeff bit I guess you are still recovering from that drive and bursting ear drums

Bodgit

While Jeff sleeps it off, we can go back to before WW2 and he won't notice.

This photo reminds me of hours spent around sheds with a basic roll film camera, often in cold wind and hoping for that sudden burst of sunlight on the engine wreathed in steam and vibrating with potential energy.  Not that I was around sheds before about 1961.

This is TMC 'light weathering', as well as my editing, and I like it for engines which did in fact receive some cleaning from the lads of the day.

Must check if 5541 was ever a candidate for S&C work.

post-7929-0-75108400-1369698911.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That Patriot looks gorgeous in maroon, Rob. I do like the LMS logo, but it's a bit too early for my layout. Interesting how the "light" weathering doesn't really show on the photo, but would be apparent to the eye. Have you had any locos given the "heavy" treatment by TMC?

Sounds like you are having a continuation of our winter weather. Went on for what seemed like months. Oh well, it'll soon be spring down there!  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick look on here tonight as I have been watching the making of  Slack Bladder WHOOPS Black Adder.

I am looking forward to the pics Jeff bit I guess you are still recovering from that drive and bursting ear drums

Bodgit

Morning Andy.

Great concert - took a few hours to get my hearing back, but well worth the journey!

Aside from rubbing down the bridge, I did nothing yesterday. And an early night to catch up on sleep. I'll definitely be having a play with some paint later today.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't you persuade them to have a garden railway.

Excellent suggestion, Peter!

Unfortunately, my friends don't have sufficient interest in railways to allow me to entice them along those lines. Pity, as their garden is the size of a football field and offers plenty of scope for "development"!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have a couple of 'medium weathering' TMC examples, which include lots more clag on boiler and smokebox, and dirtier around wheels and running gear, to my eye at least. Their heavy weathering often includes white stains on washout plug areas and so on, and more rust, I think, and of course they are happy to paint to your request, and/or by photos supplied.

Just did a tentative passing train scene with what looks almost as if it could be east of Carlisle. Surely not!  5541 was a Carlisle Upperby engine in BR days.

Very cold weather here, some roads and schools closed down south, we are warm inside. I rather like it.

This picture uses what may have been a Glasgow and South Western location in Ayrshire, from where my great grandfather emigrated in the 1850s reputedly after working three voyages to the colonies and back as a ship-hand, and receiving 5 acres freehold in Nelson There he and his wife raised 5 boys and a girl, the youngest being my grandfather, the 'top link' driver NZR 1919-42.  The name McGavin may have been fudged, as there were rumours of Irish gun running...  I may in fact be a Milligan.  Long story.

post-7929-0-69161200-1369720906.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob.

After that revelation we'll have to call you "Spike"!!

The 2 Brits and Black 5 I bought from TMC were medium weathered - and I'm very pleased with them. Quite tempted to send them another Black 5 to which they can apply the "heavy" treatment.

I do like the Patriot locos. They always seem to be a "chunkier" relative of the Jubilee - maybe it's the smoke deflectors that give that effect. But you had better be careful - you'll soon be forsaking your beloved Southern engines for the LMS!!  :O  :O

Jeff

While Jeff sleeps it off, we can go back to before WW2 and he won't notice.

This photo reminds me of hours spent around sheds with a basic roll film camera, often in cold wind and hoping for that sudden burst of sunlight on the engine wreathed in steam and vibrating with potential energy.  Not that I was around sheds before about 1961.

This is TMC 'light weathering', as well as my editing, and I like it for engines which did in fact receive some cleaning from the lads of the day.

Must check if 5541 was ever a candidate for S&C work.

attachicon.gifPatriot_5541_windy_evening_on_shed_2a_r800_crop1.jpg

WONDERFUL

Bodgit

Hi Jeff,

I have a couple of 'medium weathering' TMC examples, which include lots more clag on boiler and smokebox, and dirtier around wheels and running gear, to my eye at least. Their heavy weathering often includes white stains on washout plug areas and so on, and more rust, I think, and of course they are happy to paint to your request, and/or by photos supplied.

Just did a tentative passing train scene with what looks almost as if it could be east of Carlisle. Surely not!  5541 was a Carlisle Upperby engine in BR days.

Very cold weather here, some roads and schools closed down south, we are warm inside. I rather like it.

This picture uses what may have been a Glasgow and South Western location in Ayrshire, from where my great grandfather emigrated in the 1850s reputedly after working three voyages to the colonies and back as a ship-hand, and receiving 5 aces freehold in Nelson There he and his wife raised 5 boys and a girl, the youngest being my grandfather, the 'top link' driver NZR 1919-42.  The name McGavin may have been fudged, as there were rumours of Irish gun running...  I may in fact be a Milligan.  Long story.

attachicon.gifLMS_Patriot_5541_2abcde_r800.jpg

CRACKING

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

CRACKING

Bodgit

Rob, I think that Mr Peters is a fan of your artwork/photography (the former description is preferable as anyone can take a plain photo).

If you ever wish to sell any prints, let me know and I'll send you Andy's address...

In the meantime, today's exercise has been done (that'll scare you, Andy!!), some Physics tuition approaching, THEN I can do some modelling....

Jeff

• Like 1