Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Just managed to catch up on the last six days. The bridges are looking good, just the final touches to make to the stone work. :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  

Duncan

Good to see you back on the Forum, Duncan. I'm pleased with the way the painting worked out - and the bridges look better in the lighting of the bunker than in my kitchen.

Tomorrow will see the cuttings develop - I hope!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Your bridges are really very very good Jeff. You must be very proud of your efforts and if you're not, then you should be. A+

Peter, it's that kind of peer comment that makes being on here all worthwhile. It's about 7 weeks since I started the bridges, and with all the work in the corner with cuttings, stones, walling etc, I must admit I was beginning to get sick of the sight of them. Maybe if I'd pushed on a bit - and I ALWAYS dread the "painting bit"!!

I've just compared the bunker photos of the bridges with those of the finished viaducts on page 22. Thankfully, they are similar - as should be the case.

I need to finish the tunnel portal now - completely forgot about it - and get it painted....while I'm in "Michaelangelo mode"!! 

Many thanks for your comment - really appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well, Jeff. What can I say that hasn't been said already?

Those bridges are excellent - up to 10/10 already and still not in final resting place.  :D

Consultation time for me - help with the natural environment on Camel Quay which is gradually going white - Sculptamold and moulded rocks.  Also layout planning on GWRd so not a lot of time on here.  I've just about kept up reading through various threads.  I'm amazed you so consistently manage to model and post.  That's pretty good going, Sir!  :boast: :boast: :boast:

Time to see how Ray is getting on....

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, Jeff. What can I say that hasn't been said already?

Those bridges are excellent - up to 10/10 already and still not in final resting place.  :D

Consultation time for me - help with the natural environment on Camel Quay which is gradually going white - Sculptamold and moulded rocks.  Also layout planning on GWRd so not a lot of time on here.  I've just about kept up reading through various threads.  I'm amazed you so consistently manage to model and post.  That's pretty good going, Sir!  :boast: :boast: :boast:

Time to see how Ray is getting on....

Polly

Thanks Polly.

The reason why I keep going is given by the title of a 1990s Brian May song: "Driven by you". The "you" in this case being the loyal Lunesters - and others not quite so insane (yet!) - who regularly contribute to this thread, the Lounge and anything else inspirational. The bridges would still be plywood (I checked: I started building them on April 15) without the continual encouragement on here.

I hope you also find the same thing. I haven't looked at "GWR" for a while - I'll get up to speed tomorrow!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

• Like 1

This is a limestone built bridge (at Sandside - where else :)), not seen a train under it for 40 years so it's obviously a bit cleaner now but it does show the kind of slimy green colouration to good effect. If anything, it is more different shades of green than white (no limescale), with only a couple of small areas being noticeably wet (gloss varnish to represent, in thin downward brush strokes?).

I presume that in the days of  4F's and the like running underneath it hauling lengthy coke trains, the algae itself would have had a bit of a soot coating?

Limestonebuiltbridge_zpsc99defef.jpg

Lovely photo, and Jeff your bridges are looking great, the dignified pace of construction no doubt critical to an eventual result.

I haven't any new finished photos to divert you from your civil engineering, but have received many new engines, and photos will come eventually.

post-7929-0-24321600-1369868393.jpg

Frosty morning here, lovely.

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now you're talking, Rob!!

An excellent collection there - Merchant Navy looks lovely, as does that Duchess in glorious LMS maroon. And a couple of Black 5s in the background?

I've sent some locos to TMC for weathering - including a 9F, which I've asked them to give the heavy treatment. It'll be a few weeks until they return, and I'll post photos.

Keep the piccies coming!

Jeff

At risk of boring the pants off you - you could be forgiven for thinking "oh, no - not more bl**dy bridges!!", here are the bridges sat in position.

I've had to rip out the bit of hillside between the two, in order to accommodate the splay of the wing walls - a good thing, actually, as I can now build it better and it'll be easier to fit in.

attachicon.gif100_3390.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3391.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3392.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3395.JPG

The lighting is much better and shows off the details on the fascias.

Jeff

That's wonderful mate, Top marks for the build quality and the weathering, I cant wait to see the GRASS over the top.

Bodgit

Now you're talking, Rob!!

An excellent collection there - Merchant Navy looks lovely, as does that Duchess in glorious LMS maroon. And a couple of Black 5s in the background?

I've sent some locos to TMC for weathering - including a 9F, which I've asked them to give the heavy treatment. It'll be a few weeks until they return, and I'll post photos.

Keep the piccies coming!

Jeff

The burdens are many.

Just after sending the pic a couple of messages ago I found a weathered 9F single chimney 92177     weathering by Northernemmy Models 9/2010   lubricator rod on fireman's side bent otherwise looks very good...   so I bought it.  Then having a quiet cup of tea bought a weathered late-BR double-chimney deflector A3 60046    both on Ebay and from a seller in Skipton , so if any problems I'll send you gentlemen around to sort things out   ...   or Arthur Daly if you can't make it.

Yes, Jeff those are two lovely rather old 2002-manufactured, but still appear, new Hornby weathered Black 5s; 44762 and 44781, £69 ea. from Ebay, which have been photographed from several angles and had their sharp focus extended by grafting a few shots together... 

and now,

ah, here it is tentatively, rock wall hinted-at..

post-7929-0-74980400-1370066112.jpg

and here is the 9F... quite pricey at £122 on Ebay but nicely done I think

post-7929-0-62085000-1369886918.jpg

Sun is out here now, kids playing on the Reserve nearby, someone should do something about it!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those black 5s would look good emerging from under your bridges, Jeff. Another good modelling day in TS17, low grey cloud, 10C and rain in the air. It is the end of May and not October isn't it?

• RMweb Premium

Those black 5s would look good emerging from under your bridges, Jeff. Another good modelling day in TS17, low grey cloud, 10C and rain in the air. It is the end of May and not October isn't it?

It feels like October. But, apparently, the British weather is going to do yet another magical switch by the weekend - to full sun and over 20C. All down to the Jet Stream?

Back to Black 5s.... I now have 3. 2 of which are now with TMC for weathering. The did build over 800 of them, but they deserve their popularity. It's always good to see them running at the NYMR.

Pouring down as I write. So I think I'll be in the bunker later, trying to work out how to construct my rock faces. One thing I've noticed in modelling. Because of the large random element in nature, it's not too sensible to worry overly about how you splodge your paint or stick your rocks in (as long as you beware of strata).... I think that's the approach Bodgit takes with his scenery, and it works.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob.

I assume that would be the Basin Reserve, Wellington that you referred to? England played a Test match there a few months back.

Yes, that 9F is suitably "cruddy". I remember seeing some beautifully filthy 9Fs in one of Dave Shakespeare's "Tetleys Mills" articles in Model Rail, some years back. I was never a fan of weathering, but - as Jason said a while back - once you create a realistic scenic surround, pristine models just don't look right. I've still got a lot of clean models, though.

We ought to be thanking you. The number of models you are purchasing from these shores is helping to restore parity to our balance of trade with the rest of the world!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's wonderful mate, Top marks for the build quality and the weathering, I cant wait to see the GRASS over the top.

Bodgit

I was wondering when the "G" word would rear its head!! But me, too - I'll be glad to cover up some of that white plaster. To get the corner started - once the cuttings are fitted out - I'll put some Woodland Scenics fine blend down - a mix of Earth and Green blends should form quite a nice base.

Anyway, off for the morning's exercise thrash, then into the bunker...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering when the "G" word would rear its head!! But me, too - I'll be glad to cover up some of that white plaster. To get the corner started - once the cuttings are fitted out - I'll put some Woodland Scenics fine blend down - a mix of Earth and Green blends should form quite a nice base.

Anyway, off for the morning's exercise thrash, then into the bunker...

Jeff

Oh 'eck Jeff, you've said it now. Andy will NOT leave you alone now until that g***s appears.

• RMweb Premium

Oh 'eck Jeff, you've said it now. Andy will NOT leave you alone now until that g***s appears.

Ironically, I may not have any choice in the matter. It is very congested - scenic detail wise - in that corner (2 bridges, an aqueduct, cuttings, ballasting, a hillside and a backscene!!). So I'll have to "chuck" something on while I'm able to reach it.

The sight of greeny-brown stuff should send Bodgit into ecstasy!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

This is a limestone built bridge (at Sandside - where else :)), not seen a train under it for 40 years so it's obviously a bit cleaner now but it does show the kind of slimy green colouration to good effect. If anything, it is more different shades of green than white (no limescale), with only a couple of small areas being noticeably wet (gloss varnish to represent, in thin downward brush strokes?).

I presume that in the days of  4F's and the like running underneath it hauling lengthy coke trains, the algae itself would have had a bit of a soot coating?

Limestonebuiltbridge_zpsc99defef.jpg

Just wondering whether algae was able to grow inside a sooty/smokey black hole railway bridge in steam days.  Or,  maybe, there are some that don't mind toxic solutions. 

Polly

PS Love the photo, Jason.

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

A few pics to show the first rock facing I've fitted to the main line cutting.

It was difficult to get any decent lighting here - the light is full on and the lack of shadows means less detail. The coach and a class 40 were pushed round in front of the rock face - a good cm clearance, so happy with that.

Of course, the areas between the rocks will be painted an earthy colour and vegetation fitted - which will further enhance the contrast.

Further bits of rock will be fitted when the bridge is fixed in place.

post-13778-0-77309800-1369921211_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-05512200-1369921218_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-14153000-1369921227_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55945700-1369921285_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good point, Polly. However, a little bit of green slime adds another little bit of colour to the mix, so I'll give it a go - when I buy some green acrylic.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I can lend you my static grass jobbie Jeff, as long as you promise to not turn Lune Fell into a golf course :)

Thanks for the offer Jason. I'm going to get myself a Noch GrassMaster over the summer and have a "play". In the meantime, I'm just going to put a base covering of very fine flock onto the hillside in the corner.

I got a couple of cans of Railmatch grime from Howes, and a stash of 2mm grey blend ballast (I always mix in a bit of 4mm at a ratio 5 (2mm): 1 (4mm)), so when the rock faces are attached I can clean the track and then grot and ballast it.

Having said that, I destroyed part of the hillside the other day - so that'll need building up as well. That corner of the layout is amazing for what's going into it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

With slightly different lighting - and a bit of shadow...

post-13778-0-61362600-1369938576_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-50348800-1369938584_thumb.jpg

I've buit up part of the hillside between the 2 bridges. When the PVA is dry - tomorrow - I'll reconstruct the cutting wall opposite the one shown in the photos and fix some rocks onto that one, too.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, a great set of shots, I am looking forward to more and more shots over the coming days.

BTW,

Black and White is a thing of the past, hahhaha :no:  we are now in the 21st century so you can use colours LIKE GREEN for example, SO no pressure there then, hohohohohohohhhhhooooeee :O

Bodgit the Flockmaster :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Just caught up.  The bridges look excellent.  I am not surprised they took as long as they did, buildings always take a while to construct..  Did you paint and weather them the same way as the viaduct?  I assume you did, very effective.

The cuttings are shaping up nicely as well.  I am sure that you will not regret spending lots of time in that corner, you will probably spend equivalent time elsewhere on the layout.  It is not as if you have a deadline so you might as well enjoy it as you go along.

Now, I really need to put some swan neck handles on the sides of my Holden Metro coaches but they are taking me about 30 minutes each and I need to go to bed soon!

It feels like October. But, apparently, the British weather is going to do yet another magical switch by the weekend - to full sun and over 20C. All down to the Jet Stream?

Back to Black 5s.... I now have 3. 2 of which are now with TMC for weathering. The did build over 800 of them, but they deserve their popularity. It's always good to see them running at the NYMR.

Pouring down as I write. So I think I'll be in the bunker later, trying to work out how to construct my rock faces. One thing I've noticed in modelling. Because of the large random element in nature, it's not too sensible to worry overly about how you splodge your paint or stick your rocks in (as long as you beware of strata).... I think that's the approach Bodgit takes with his scenery, and it works.

Jeff

I am certain that the weather in Yorkshire is invariably just like the Last of the Summer Wine,  and that you gentlemen resemble Clegg, Compo, and Foggy. Moreover Aunty Wainright is the woman from Skipton who sold me my last two engines.