Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Clear as mud to me, NO Hot Glue Gun still and still no grass.

I can see what you are doing now and I like the transformation of the hillside.

Bodgit

Grass will cometh, oh Bodgit.....

I need to paint the plaster with its brown base colour. Can't paint today's plaster until it's a bit dryer. Then we'll see.

I like the Fiddlers Yard plans, btw!

Jeff

Rob, the station and goods area may take a while to develop, but over the next 6 months there should be plenty of background Fell, stone walls etc etc. It'll be good to see what you come up with.

Anyway, it's time for bed - 22.45 here.... may seem early but I love to be up by 5.30. A quick breakfast and it's on with the next rock face!

Cheers,

Jeff

We just defeated England in a one-day match at Lords.

Not sure if your bowling attack went to sleep or we actually found two batsmen who could defend.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to Rob's pics of the Jube and others emerging from your Black and White HOLES, hahhahahaaaeee

Come on Rob, add some colour mate. :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Working on it, but all in a timely fashion....     still working on a second Black 5 pic today. 

A couple of pages back the pics Jeff took photos through the bridges towards the tunnels, looked promising. I have seen and travelled on and photographed NZ trains in comparable situations, working upgrade out of a tunnel, always impressive, and you can get away with not detailing engines, just cover the relevant bits with steam and smoke. 

Jeff, what happens if you decide to upgrade the line in a year or two (assuming it is finished by then of course :no: :no: :no: ) to run over head electrics? :O

Bodgit causing trouble then off to bed :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: hahahhaaaaa

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, what happens if you decide to upgrade the line in a year or two (assuming it is finished by then of course :no: :no: :no: ) to run over head electrics? :O

Bodgit causing trouble then off to bed :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: hahahhaaaaa

Andy - I'd have to do what you keep doing....scrap KL and build a new one!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've spent the last couple of hours playing with plaster, merging the top of the cuttings into the hillsides. I'm going to have to manufacture some more rocks and the stone walling in the vicinity of the cutting is a truly scary proposition - lots of it, and in awkward positions. Nevermind - it'll get done one way or another.

Some of you will have read Scott's earlier post re. the authenticity of the rock formations in the cuttings. It was a very enlightening post and if I could bring myself to make the rock faces very steep and sliced through like a hot knife through butter, then I would. However, I hope I'll be allowed to stick with my personal preference of a "terrace", which Scott tells me is a consequence of cutting softer rock.

No photos - the mundane nature of the task meant I wasn't inclined to have the camera with me.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Working on it, but all in a timely fashion....     still working on a second Black 5 pic today. 

A couple of pages back the pics Jeff took photos through the bridges towards the tunnels, looked promising. I have seen and travelled on and photographed NZ trains in comparable situations, working upgrade out of a tunnel, always impressive, and you can get away with not detailing engines, just cover the relevant bits with steam and smoke. 

Hi Rob.

I was informed by Hattons that the A4s I have on pre-order - which I was expecting in July/August - are now estimated as October. So there may be a "void" to fill during the summer - I may have to tempt myself with a weathered Patriot or weathered 4F (when released).

As things progress, please tell me the kinds of angles you'd find useful for creating your images and I'll do my best to oblige!

Jeff

Hi Jeff - You know it was never my intention to change your mind. Rather, to illustrate A and B, and help you understand why they are shaped the way they are, and of course let you choose your own way forward.  Like many (most?) of the other Lunesters, I was very impressed with the rocks on your old layout - I'm sure the end result will be excellent.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2

Hi Rob.

I was informed by Hattons that the A4s I have on pre-order - which I was expecting in July/August - are now estimated as October. So there may be a "void" to fill during the summer - I may have to tempt myself with a weathered Patriot or weathered 4F (when released).

As things progress, please tell me the kinds of angles you'd find useful for creating your images and I'll do my best to oblige!

Jeff

Good morning Jeff,

I'm sure that any angle would do, for photos of KL with any of your increasing number of locomotives, I am as you can tell rather fond of traditional 3/4 angles, and portrait views of engines in yards and so on, but what would be nice would be a chance to include such as the subtleties of bridge brickwork and pointings, since I am unlikely to build my own!  Smoke effects will simply enhance an overall view, perhaps.

In any event I have done a second angle on the two Black 5s, this time bursting into sunlight on what can only be somewhere on the S&C. I like the type of light in the recent bridge photos, which I presume is fairly typical of one season. Autumn? I adhere to a philosophy of wanting to get the light more-or-less pleasant rather than exact. I imagine the fells to be under a watery light but sometimes in late afternoon after clouds break one might see what I have done here.  The hills may be in the case of KL more local and yellow, but we will let that pass.

post-7929-0-07397700-1370067372.jpg

Next photo will be, shock horror, a shed scene looking at the driver's side of an LMS Duchess...  rather than the recent preponderance of left-to-right scenes.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, the lighting in the bunker is hard to describe - "autumn" is an interesting way to put it, re. the bridges! It's entirely artificial - shame, as natural lighting brings out the best in rock formations.

Not much will be achieved today as other commitments will get in the way. However, there should be a few significant changes in the corner over the next week!

Jeff

Good morning Jeff,

I'm sure that any angle would do, for photos of KL with any of your increasing number of locomotives, I am as you can tell rather fond of traditional 3/4 angles, and portait views of engines in yards and so on, but what would be nice would be a chance to include such as the subtleties of bridge brickwork and pointings, since I am unlikely to build my own!  Smoke effects will simply enhance an overall view, perhaps.

In any event I have done a second angle on the two Black 5s, this time bursting into sunlight on what can only be somewhere on the S&C. I like the type of light in the recent bridge photos, which I presume is fairly typical of one season. Autumn? I adhere to a philosophy of wanting to get the light more-or-less pleasant rather than exact. I imagine the fells to be under a watery light but sometimes in late afternoon after clouds break one might see what I have done here.  The hills may be in the case of KL more local and yellow, but we will let that pass.

attachicon.gifBlack_5s_BR_Express_1960_4abc_r800.jpg

Next photo will be, shock horror, a shed scene looking at the driver's side of an LMS Duchess...  rather than the recent preponderance of left-to-right scenes.

Wonderful again Rob, Cheers matey. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Hi Jeff, grey rotten bleak morning here, but Jan is going to mow lawns soon, neighbours love that at 10am Sunday,  trusty Briggs and Stratton 3 1/2 hp 4-stroke,. 1975 model  and I rebuilt the engine in 1995 with higher compression so it has a kick like a mule when you pull the rope to start it but cuts through bricks and paths. Same sparkplug since then too...    like a Peugeot 407 petrol ? 

As to the artificial light for your stone and rock formations, I use room light and highlight it with reading or desk lamp 40W or 60W and experiment with whatever filter setting the camera has, and of course use the lowest possible ISO number, I'm sure grasses and moss and shadow can be made to look right.

Off to find some way to make the Duchess of Sutherland look 'right'. edit2 oops Duchess of Buccleigh

edit,  actually I'm looking forward to the ballasting of KL.  I never could get the techniques for that right; often so near, never managed to master it.

Edited by robmcg

Hi Rob, re the ballasting, check out Camel Quay in the Layouts Section, by Tender, (Ray), as his looks really spot on. His Wife Polly normally looks on here so I had better give her a plug as well for GEL, GNR, GIN, GAL,GON GWR or I will be in trouble next time I see her and Ray, hahha.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, re the ballasting, check out Camel Quay in the Layouts Section, by Tender, (Ray), as his looks really spot on. His Wife Polly normally looks on here so I had better give her a plug as well for GEL, GNR, GIN, GAL,GON GWR or I will be in trouble next time I see her and Ray, hahha.

Bodgit

I would second that, Andy. Had a look at Camel quay yesterday in a re-direct from Polly's thread. Very nice work.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Saturday was the first day in a long while where I got absolutely NOTHING done on the layout due to other commitments. Still, I did enjoy spending a few hours planning the building work in a friend's garden.

Rob - irrespective of name, those Princess Coronation locos are very nice indeed. I've a maroon one and one in "British Railways" (pre-early crest) black. It'll be good to see some photos.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I am still dribbling, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, FANTASTIC atmosphere. :thankyou: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

I quite agree, Andy. Amazing how a metal machine can elicit such responses. Magnificent!

I'm going to try and make some progress today. No idea what I'll manage to do, though I have a "secret plan" in mind that I won't reveal for a little while. Nothing dramatic - and, before speculation starts, it may or may not involve the "G" word!! Lol. thought I'd put that in to stir the pot!

Must admit to feeling very leaden after a truly excessive kebab-eating session last night. Oh well....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

APOLOGIES for the lack of action on here....

I can promise you that I'm working on something - it's taking a lot of time as it has to be done properly - and IF it works out the way I want it to, it could be quite interesting!!

I won't say anymore - but I'm afraid it's unlikely that any photos etc will appear until around lunchtime tomorrow.

Those of you who read this thread on a regular basis know that I like to get things as correct as my limited abilities allow. That's all the clue I'm giving!

Any significant progress will appear on here asap!!

Jeff

APOLOGIES for the lack of action on here....

I can promise you that I'm working on something - it's taking a lot of time as it has to be done properly - and IF it works out the way I want it to, it could be quite interesting!!

I won't say anymore - but I'm afraid it's unlikely that any photos etc will appear until around lunchtime tomorrow.

Those of you who read this thread on a regular basis know that I like to get things as correct as my limited abilities allow. That's all the clue I'm giving!

Any significant progress will appear on here asap!!

Jeff

Don't tell me you have gone O Gauge, hahahaa

Does the G word mean you have decided to knock a hole in the GARAGE wall and go out over the GRASS, on a GIRDER bridge and into a GORGE, or am I way off the mark. :no:

Godbit Goodall Granulistic GOON :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Not quite, Andy.

In post #6723, Scott pointed out the different ways that cuttings were done, depending on the hardness of the rock. Have a look at the photos there...

I found this close up of the Blea Moor tunnel, showing the rock arrangement in a bit more detail...

post-13778-0-50775600-1370202791_thumb.jpg

So, this evening the rock faces went from this:

post-13778-0-49443100-1370202873_thumb.jpg

...to this...

post-13778-0-09582600-1370202939_thumb.jpg

Plaster with a bit of grey colouring added....

Jeff

ps. more in a few mins!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit of "rock carving" was carried out using a knife:

post-13778-0-03822300-1370203140_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17426300-1370203153_thumb.jpg

And - as if I haven't got enough walls to build already - a base wall (see my Blea Moor pic in the previous post) was started...

post-13778-0-41183900-1370203164_thumb.jpg

Jeff

A little bit more to come...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This is how it fits in with the main line bridge. The bridge is just sat in place at the mo - fine tuning of "rocks" and bridge position will be done eventually.

The second pic is my usual "arty" view - I can't resist!!

post-13778-0-02443500-1370203337_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96519800-1370203343_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

This is how it fits in with the main line bridge. The bridge is just sat in place at the mo - fine tuning of "rocks" and bridge position will be done eventually.

The second pic is my usual "arty" view - I can't resist!!

attachicon.gif100_3434.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3433.JPG

Jeff

Jeff,

Looking good.  As long as you prefer the rocks this way, then that is ok.  Did you plaster over the previous rocks are are they safe somewhere for another time?