Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Can I be honest Jeff and say I preferred your original rock cutting? Sorry, but just my opinion.

Would you be able to incorporate some actual rock from the locality? Just a thought.

Regards,

Peter

No problem, Peter. 

It's very difficult to do the rocks for the cutting, whatever I try. The problem with the original arrangement was fitting them together - they need to form a continuous "phalanx", as shwn in the photos.

Good thing about the rock moulds - I don't have to carve them. Bad bit - joining them up. Difficult.

Jeff

Jeff

What has to be remembered is that you are modelling a representation of the area and not a specific location. So, as long as it looks like the area, nothing can be wrong.

Duncan

Hi Jeff I know we said a few pages ago that we didn't like the LIKE buttons but I had to do it as I like the new rock cutting, I feel it looks more natural as I suppose it should as it is a copy of the real location.

Bodgit

By the way Peter..... nothing is set in concrete.....

I'm still "experimenting" and I'll end up with what I feel most comfortable with...

Jeff

Well you could try that as an alternative to plaster, Jeff...

• RMweb Premium

Soon be on 300 pages Jeff. :superman: :superman: :bb: :bb: :friends: :friends: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Bodgit :sungum:

Andy - at the rate I'm going I'll still be building that rock cutting on page 300!

I now have a real dilemma. To trial the present cutting I had to remove the original rocks. However, I have a bit of a cunning plan - and if it works I'll have to remove the one above, that you like. I prefer the format of the new cutting, for the reasons Scott brought to my attention. but I'm not convinced that carving plaster gives the "reality" I desire...

This is what I'm going to do:

I am casting some more rocks - but not quite the same as last time, where I only used part of the moulds. I'm going to paint them and assemble them - as a continuous arrangement (as well as that is possible - there will be gaps) - onto a plastikard backing. If the arrangement looks good, I'll remove the one I've just made and substitute the new one. If I'm unable to produce a conglomeration I like, I'll leave things as they are.

Duncan - I agree with what you've said. As long as I've tried all options, I'm happy.

I've never liked carving plaster for granite-like structures. Plain surfaces, such as chalk, are much easier.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff I know we said a few pages ago that we didn't like the LIKE buttons but I had to do it as I like the new rock cutting, I feel it looks more natural as I suppose it should as it is a copy of the real location.

Bodgit

Thanks Andy. I think Peter's comment related to the quality of the rock castings, rather than the arrangement. I like the arrangement - as Scott pointed out (with reasons) - it's just tricky to execute by direct cutting into plaster. I'm sure I could do a better job if the rock face was accessible, instead of being crammed into a corner!!

Jeff

Time for a bit of a change, although Coachman politely points out  elsewhere, in the Hornby thread where the shed pic of Hornby Coronation 6230 'Duchess of Buccleigh' also can be seen, that this engine never wore LMS Maroon with smoke deflectors. 

My Irwell book appears to have different 'facts' than his sources, but even the Irwell books can be wrong, as they themselves regularly point out.

No rocks visible here.

post-7929-0-36159700-1370298434.jpg

• Like 2

Andy - at the rate I'm going I'll still be building that rock cutting on page 300!

I now have a real dilemma. To trial the present cutting I had to remove the original rocks. However, I have a bit of a cunning plan - and if it works I'll have to remove the one above, that you like. I prefer the format of the new cutting, for the reasons Scott brought to my attention. but I'm not convinced that carving plaster gives the "reality" I desire...

This is what I'm going to do:

I am casting some more rocks - but not quite the same as last time, where I only used part of the moulds. I'm going to paint them and assemble them - as a continuous arrangement (as well as that is possible - there will be gaps) - onto a plastikard backing. If the arrangement looks good, I'll remove the one I've just made and substitute the new one. If I'm unable to produce a conglomeration I like, I'll leave things as they are.

Duncan - I agree with what you've said. As long as I've tried all options, I'm happy.

I've never liked carving plaster for granite-like structures. Plain surfaces, such as chalk, are much easier.

Jeff

If you discard it don't bin it save it for the other end,

Bodgit

Thanks Andy. I think Peter's comment related to the quality of the rock castings, rather than the arrangement. I like the arrangement - as Scott pointed out (with reasons) - it's just tricky to execute by direct cutting into plaster. I'm sure I could do a better job if the rock face was accessible, instead of being crammed into a corner!!

Jeff

Is it possible to fabricate the bulk of it on a former on your workbench,Jeff,  and then blend that into place in situ?

and just to complete my errant thread-drifting ways,  herewith, an attempt no doubt futile to bring a civilsed type of locomotive to KL.

This is really just a draft, I will inevitably find errors tomorrow.

post-7929-0-16787900-1370326596.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

p.s. Jeff just throw the rocks together and hide the faults with paint. That's how I made my British cars look sound and reliable.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob.

I've no problems with the Merchant Navy. It was the model that sparked the move to "super detail" when Hornby introduced it in 1999-2000. I've got one version in my display cabinet - looks great, though it'll only ever get a run if I unplug the DCC system and run the track as DC (difficult, as I no longer have a DC controller!)

As for the Duchess. Who cares about the details - the loco's appearance speaks for itself!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible to fabricate the bulk of it on a former on your workbench,Jeff,  and then blend that into place in situ?

This is the approach I'm taking with the rock castings. So I think the answer to your question is "yes". I'm very interested to see what'll happen with the new casts - I suspect I'll end up with a hybrid of the 2 methods. I don't care, as long as it "works".

Jeff

Morning young Jeff,

If it works it has to be right.

As for Robs picckie of the MN well they are a handsome beast, (some might say the same about me, whilst others may disagree).

Thanks Rob another great one

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Here is Part 1 of my new strategy: creating a "mobile" rock face that can be taken into the bunker and "attached" to the cutting...

Rock castings made and evostik used to join them onto a sheet of 40thou plastikard:

post-13778-0-18409100-1370345502_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85954200-1370345508_thumb.jpg

A small amount of plaster was used to fill in the gap at the join...

post-13778-0-79118400-1370345515_thumb.jpg

Then the usual "splodge" technique was carried out: Grey mix, Dark Umber and a white-wash, followed by "drips" of black to accentuate fissures:

post-13778-0-36292600-1370345527_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-75422300-1370345535_thumb.jpg

The structure is drying. Then I'll assess what to do next.

Jeff

• Like 4

Here is Part 1 of my new strategy: creating a "mobile" rock face that can be taken into the bunker and "attached" to the cutting...

Rock castings made and evostik used to join them onto a sheet of 40thou plastikard:

attachicon.gif100_3446.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3447.JPG

A small amount of plaster was used to fill in the gap at the join...

attachicon.gif100_3448.JPG

Then the usual "splodge" technique was carried out: Grey mix, Dark Umber and a white-wash, followed by "drips" of black to accentuate fissures:

attachicon.gif100_3449.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3450.JPG

The structure is drying. Then I'll assess what to do next.

Jeff

Oh dear Jeff, another new technique for me to learn,

I does look better and so is that the final bit of the jigsaw?

Bodgit the inquisitive :O

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear Jeff, another new technique for me to learn,

I does look better and so is that the final bit of the jigsaw?

Bodgit the inquisitive :O

I'm very pleased with the look of this solid, continuous slab of rock. I've cleared off yesterdays efforts and the new piece will be fixed in place within the hour.

The REALLY good thing is that I can duplicate the technique with ease, and fit an equivalent onto the blind side of the mainline cutting - where cutting plaster and painting are nigh on impossible.

Amazing how NEED leads to a bit of lateral thinking!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's the winner Jeff, it looks spot on.

Cheers Jason - glad to see you back on here after your move. Also relieved that Bacup has made it almost entirely intact. Back breathing northern air now!!

These rock faces have been driving me nuts. So hopefully this is "sorted". More pics shortly.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here is the rock face in place. I'll cast sections to fit around the wing wall and at the far end. I'll also repeat the procedure for the cutting face nearest to the camera.

I'm very happy with this - it won't get changed again!

post-13778-0-09414400-1370354603_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-27655500-1370354610_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks much better Jeff but should the wall be there? It may be on the real thing but for the life of me I can't think why they would build it there?

• RMweb Premium

Looks much better Jeff but should the wall be there? It may be on the real thing but for the life of me I can't think why they would build it there?

Have a look at the photos in post 6749 and 6756. I was surprised to see it, but thought it was a nice feature, enclosing a small "embankment" under the rock face. It allows a bit of vegetation and, in my case, makes up for the fact that I really need 9cm tall rock faces and the moulds only give about 7.5cm!

Jeff

Hi Jeff. I agree with Jason about the wallie bit at the bottom, the rest looks really good,

so is it safe to assume that the old bit is on it way to South Derbyshire????? hhahahaaaaaa

Only Joking, I have nowhere for it to go,      YET

Bodgit