Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff. I agree with Jason about the wallie bit at the bottom, the rest looks really good,

so is it safe to assume that the old bit is on it way to South Derbyshire????? hhahahaaaaaa

Only Joking, I have nowhere for it to go,      YET

Bodgit

I agree that the wall is an unusual feature, but it gives an extra bit of detail and there is a prototype to support it.

Andy - if you DO get some of the rock moulds.... Just use cheap plaster and paint the rock faces as soon as you can after removing them from the mould. I painted 2 this afternoon - one had just been removed, the other 3 hours earlier. The new plaster was so easy to paint, the "old" stuff had to have a good soaking of very dilute white to wet it so paint would flow over the surface.

I've got another painted rock face drying at the mo and more plaster in the mould. I may get a bit more work done later tonight. This is slow, but it's now VERY satisfying.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I took my brother into the bunker yesterday to show him what I was working on.... "But all of this is almost out of sight. Why are you spending so much time on it?", he said. It's hard to explain, isn't it? The previous arrangement was bugging me, yet I knew that it was a tiny part of the whole.

I suppose we all try to do our best. One of my friends described me as an "obsessive perfectionist". I don't entirely agree, but I think there's an element of truth in it!

The state of the cutting illustrates why it had to be scenics first, ballasting MUCH later!!

Jeff

Jeff,

The reason that we spend time on things like this is because we are striving to create something and we know it is there and if we looked around the corner and saw bare plaster you, (and anyone else), would be disappointed.  This is why Jim builds structures that have all the inside as per prototype and then has to leave holes in the roof to see it, and why I detail the inside of coaches with seats, compartments and painted people, and now make removable roofs so I can peek inside occasionally.  We know it is there and it gives us the sense of satisfaction of a job well done.

THe new rock faces do look better I must admit, but all the photos through the tunnel at the rock faces are special.

• RMweb Premium

I've just got back from digging a few dozen metres of trench, ready for filling with concrete later in the week.

Time for something a bit easier - a bit more rock painting and more plaster for the next cast.

Chris - I agree with you. It'd be so much simpler, BUT a LOT less satisfying, if we cut corners and left things partly done/less detailed. A friend was looking at the corner of the layout the other day.... "How long have you spent on this?" he said. 7 weeks, so far was my reply. "Are you going to give as much attention to every part of the layout?" was the next question...

"At least as much", I said. He looked at me as if I was insane. Maybe I am. Maybe we all are on the Forum. We care - and it's got to be done as well as we can do it. you can't ask more than that!!

Jeff

Morning Rob.

I've no problems with the Merchant Navy. It was the model that sparked the move to "super detail" when Hornby introduced it in 1999-2000. I've got one version in my display cabinet - looks great, though it'll only ever get a run if I unplug the DCC system and run the track as DC (difficult, as I no longer have a DC controller!)

As for the Duchess. Who cares about the details - the loco's appearance speaks for itself!

Jeff

As you so wisely suggest, we do what we can as well as we can.   Yes the move to super-detail by Hornby in 2000 really was a game-changer, even if some would argue that Bachmann were ahead with their WD 2-8-0s.  Speaking of the latter, did they ever venture near the S&C?

This morning I bought three more weathered engines, two Spamcans, one BR and one Malachite green, and one very heavily weathered Britannia.

Also received my Irwell 'Book of the Patriots' yesterday, lots of lists of numbers to read as a nice change from Thomas Hardy or Somerset Maughn or J B Priestley.  The nicest book ever printed was as everyone knows the H C Casserley, 'Observer's Book of British Railway Locomotives' 1958 edition, which I received for my 8th birthday.  At the time I dreamed of a Hornby 3-rail set,  I see these are still for sale on Ebay in as new condition for about £300, but one ought not live in childhood dreams forever...

Rob

I agree that the wall is an unusual feature, but it gives an extra bit of detail and there is a prototype to support it.

Andy - if you DO get some of the rock moulds.... Just use cheap plaster and paint the rock faces as soon as you can after removing them from the mould. I painted 2 this afternoon - one had just been removed, the other 3 hours earlier. The new plaster was so easy to paint, the "old" stuff had to have a good soaking of very dilute white to wet it so paint would flow over the surface.

I've got another painted rock face drying at the mo and more plaster in the mould. I may get a bit more work done later tonight. This is slow, but it's now VERY satisfying.

Jeff

I agree with Jason the wall looks a bit odd  and the rock faces look brilliant,  the reason for the wall might be little more than materials at hand when line built and any loose bits off rock face contained, also Victorian tidiness.  With paint, moss and colour you have a superb scene.

• RMweb Premium

Can I be honest again Jeff?

Well I think those new rock faces are........brilliant.

Thanks very much, Peter. I wasn't too happy with the previous incarnation but you gave me the shove I needed, in order to do something about it. Between you and Scott, you've converted me from "yes, ok it's not too bad" to "very pleased with the result".... Cheers!

Still a lot more to put on, but I'm on a roll now! Constructive, honest criticism really IS the best policy.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

As you so wisely suggest, we do what we can as well as we can.   Yes the move to super-detail by Hornby in 2000 really was a game-changer, even if some would argue that Bachmann were ahead with their WD 2-8-0s.  Speaking of the latter, did they ever venture near the S&C?

This morning I bought three more weathered engines, two Spamcans, one BR and one Malachite green, and one very heavily weathered Britannia.

Also received my Irwell 'Book of the Patriots' yesterday, lots of lists of numbers to read as a nice change from Thomas Hardy or Somerset Maughn or J B Priestley.  The nicest book ever printed was as everyone knows the H C Casserley, 'Observer's Book of British Railway Locomotives' 1958 edition, which I received for my 8th birthday.  At the time I dreamed of a Hornby 3-rail set,  I see these are still for sale on Ebay in as new condition for about £300, but one ought not live in childhood dreams forever...

Rob

Rob, WDs did indeed venture onto the S&C - I've a number of photos of them in freight-hauling action on the line.

One of my most treasured books is the "Observer's Book of Astronomy", 1965 edition, by Patrick Moore. It was probably the first book that I ever bought: 6/- in old money! And an excellent introduction to the subject.

Jeff

I'm glad you are pleased with the result Jeff - as you should be.  The flavour you now have there is a clear relation to the prototype, and that's exactly what your end game should be: even without a train in sight, being able to deduce the location.

Well done.

Cheers

Scott

6/- in real money, that is. In NZ we had to pay more presumably for shipping and retail markup and my Observer's book cost 7/6d.  There was import duty on Kitmaster models; what was 8/9d in the UK was 18/11d in NZ c1961 when our currencies were fairly even 1 Pound Sterling was about 1 Pound here.  

If I had more money than I actually do, I would buy that mint Hornby Dublo 2-6-4T and three suburban carriage set with oval track, all pre-plastic, for £300. + £125 insured postage  from that Yorkshire emporium from which I bought a couple of items via Ebay... the Engine Shed.

I would also collect my best 100 pictures and have them printed full page bleeds on art paper with brilliantly-written evocative informative facing-page captions, hard-bound quality stuff,    and publish without caring about cost.  You got £120,000 Pounds to spare? Rich uncle someone?

I re-did the latest Merchant Navy picture with what would probably have become a Waterloo-Weymouth headcode, and light engine lamp which of course would have been removed if the fireman remembered..

post-7929-0-97131200-1370407195.jpg

Edited by robmcg

I really hate to point this one out at this point...but if the rocks are only 7.5 cm high, and 15 cm long...um, 90% rotate?  Would that work?

I'm reading "The Red Devil & Other Tales from the age of Steam" (David Wardale's account of building the class 26 (STEAM) engine in SA...and doing some sketching/thinking about what to do to build a IMLEC winning loco.  Model it wouldn't be...nor scale, but LOTS of engineering.

James

• RMweb Premium

I really hate to point this one out at this point...but if the rocks are only 7.5 cm high, and 15 cm long...um, 90% rotate?  Would that work?

I'm reading "The Red Devil & Other Tales from the age of Steam" (David Wardale's account of building the class 26 (STEAM) engine in SA...and doing some sketching/thinking about what to do to build a IMLEC winning loco.  Model it wouldn't be...nor scale, but LOTS of engineering.

James

Sounds an obvious solution, but the rock strata would then look totally wrong. Interestingly, the same rock face looks just as good - and totally different - if you turn it upside down. I'll be doing just that for the branch line cutting.

It's hard to explain to those who don't enjoy a challenge/puzzle/project, just how enjoyable any kind of construction hobby can be. The end result may not have the glitz of some commercial products, but the fact that you've made it yourself means everything. Especially good if it (literally) gets your brain in gear!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob - I don't know how much money you've spent on your TMC models (quite a lot if my TMC spending is anything to go by!!), but if that Hornby Dublo is something you've always wanted I'd put in a bid/stump up the necessary on eBay and get the thing while it's available. It's only the price of 2 new locos and the nature of the beast - in terms of your childhood memories etc - is priceless!

Re. your "book" of photos. How well would the images enlarge, given the photoshopping pixellation that inevitably results from image manipulation? Having said that, it'd be well worth seeing just for the locos, even without any background!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, that rock cutting is looking the real deal now. As to the wall, I'm no civil engineer, but could it be that the wall was built as a sacrificial element. They would not have built it for no reason at all so it must have a purpose. With all the wind, rain and snow the rock formation could be undermined and caused rockfall problems. Put in a wall and the weathering elements would have to get through that before they started on the rock-face proper. Looking at geological maps of Cumbria, most of the bedrock seems to be sandstone and limestone which weather easier than say, millstone grit, of which there is very little in that part of the world. 

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan.

I've been doing some more work on the cutting. The rock faces have been weathered/darkened to bring them into line with the photos and the colour of the bridge stone. I like the lighter colour, but it needed darkening down.

Your theory re. the wall may be correct. whatever the reason, it's a curiosity which I'm glad to fit into my scheme.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You just need a little scree slope at the bottom with some grass on it.... oh, stop it!

Your wish is my command!!!.... Oops! I've drilled through the baseboard.....  :O  :no:  :no:

BEHAVE!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm about to fit the last rock faces to the difficult blind-side of the main line cutting.

Here are a couple of overhead views showing the current situation. The bridges aren't fixed in....I still need to get in the corner for ballasting, walling and that G stuff!

post-13778-0-65004600-1370440711_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-91797700-1370440718_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

I have been following the rock cutting developments with interest have pulled faces, pursed my lips and sucked air in through my teeth as the development progressed. I haven't posted though because gum sucking is one thing... but suggestions for making it better are another. Luckily I was not need though as the support on the forum got you there in the end and I have to say that “third time lucky” …. it is now spot on.

I actually quite like the little wall as it makes yours a little bit different form the norm and once you get the banking and a little “g” on it will really look the part.

I know it has taken a while and, been a little frustrating but your perseverance has really paid off.  

Your pain is our gain ..thanks  :imsohappy: 

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris. You summed up how I've felt as things have progressed. And as you say, the contributions from the Lunesters have been very beneficial to the end result.

There are many ways to do this task. For instance, the rock face I had in place yesterday (post #6799) was pleasing to my eye. I could have easily left it like that - but it didn't quite tone in with the colour of the bridge stone. Result - darken it. Self doubts? Yes, but it fits in better and I'm glad I did it.

Ballasting - this will have to be done shortly (for the cutting part) - experiments to come...

Stone walling on the hill - you can see the path that one of the walls will take in the second photo of post #6822. That should be fun! Umm, I need to make LOADS more DAS strips...

Grass? Maybe Bodgit will get a surprise in the next week when a base scattering goes onto that hill. Nothing too much - it is part of an exposed Fell...

For each of these processes people will have their say. Good. It might mean I "get it right" - whatever that means!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hello Jeff, Just looked in to see how you are doing, well thing's have certainly moved on since l last looked, the rock face look's very realistic well done, very impressed, keep the pics coming.. 

GT

• RMweb Premium

I don't know, I leave you alone for ten days and you have finished two bridges (don't mention my one that is still unfinished!) and made three attempts at your cutting face.....

It's taken me 4 hours to catch-up on things on here....

I have to say that the final version is stunning, the Mk 1 had potential (but not for the S&C) but Mk 2 was poor to be honest. The colours that the Mk3 has got is so good!

Keep up the good work Jeff.

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks George and Andy.

I'm pleased with the result and now have a rapid method to reproduce similar results, if needed. I like the colours of the final version, but the lighter staining also appeals (post #6799) and is SO easy to do!

However, horses for courses and - since the stonework is a bit darker - a bit more colour had to be added.

Just hoping it'll all tie together when the extra features are added. Reminds me of Fawlty Towers - The Germans.... "Don't mention the war" ... in this case, for Bodgit ... "don't mention the g----"!!

Jeff