Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

You are probably right about this. In many ways I hope so as I'd prefer to buy fewer top notch models than a plethora of mediocrity (well, I wouldn't buy ANY - so the company would have to rethink - I'm sure many others would do the same).

I'm getting a 9F heavily weathered at TMC at the mo. Will be interesting to see how it compares with the new weathered Bachmann 9F I have on order (I know the answer already).

Jeff

Just as I photographed the Jubilee this morning, about 20 frames, various focus/light combinations, and got myself all involved, my weathered 9F 92177 arrives from Sheffield!  Together with weathered A3 60049.

How is a man to concentrate!

Here is an un-worked-on staring pic....   nice tone, lots of potential with several others near-identical with different focus etc

post-7929-0-13815600-1370815830.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Jeff, I have been at the Bakewell show over the weekend and just caught up this evening, the walls are looking really good,

I was chatting to David Wright again today and I think there is a chance that we may be able to salvage the Viaduct I mentioned a week or so ago, I will keep you posted.

Rob's pic of the MN was simply superb and that angle makes all the difference.

catch up again tomorrow.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob.

Yes, how IS a man to concentrate with so many superb models knocking around. Your photo of "Baroda" highlights the present quality of today's RTR. Very similar to my recent photo of my latest Black 5:

post-13778-0-36974300-1370846258_thumb.jpg

I really do hope we don't see a drop in standard.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have been at the Bakewell show over the weekend and just caught up this evening, the walls are looking really good,

I was chatting to David Wright again today and I think there is a chance that we may be able to salvage the Viaduct I mentioned a week or so ago, I will keep you posted.

Rob's pic of the MN was simply superb and that angle makes all the difference.

catch up again tomorrow.

Bodgit

Hi Andy.

I'd forgotten you were at Bakewell - exhibiting Glen Roy if my memory serves me right?

I've done a bit more walling this morning. Time for breakfast now and then I'll do a bit more - a war of attrition!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Aarr, Bakewell Show. I remember the days when it was a week-day show - Thursday. In the "good old days", all the station yards as far as Buxton would be full of cattle trucks fighting for siding space with empty coaching from specials.

That wall looks good Jeff, just wondering how the technique can be adapted for Derbyshire walls where the stones are irregular. In between enjoying this lovely weather, I have started a thread on building LMS non-corridor coaches.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan.

Whatever method you use, it'll take a lot of building. Maybe you won't have to worry about keeping the stones (roughly) horizontal if you are using irregular shapes. That would probably speed things up.

I'll do another hour burst at lunchtime. I think I might clean the track tomorrow and have a running session for a change. Those photos that Rob keeps posting certainly whet the appetite!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A couple more pics of the walling. I've modified the hill profile between the wall and the cutting face - this will be re-painted brown when the plaster dries.

post-13778-0-84530400-1370870833_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-84821700-1370870838_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very good, Looks like we have a cereal Rock and Waller on our hands, hahhaha

Bodgit

Very good, Andy. Reminds me of the old Ian Dury song...

"Sex and drugs and Rock and Wall, is all my body needs....!"

I'm heading off shortly to do some proper bricklaying. I'll show pics in the Lounge over the next few weeks, as things develop.

Jeff

I think the rock wall and stonework is going to look excellent when there is green grass growing.  I love the tunnel view too.

Off to inspect the Wellington area in my 5.7 litre GM LS1 V8 today. None of this Pug 407 TDi stuff.  The old V8 is worth so little that it hurts less to pay for 22mpg than exchange for a decent modern car.  Barely run-in at 160,000kms.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Received an email from TMC to inform me that my weathered locos are on the way back to me...  Photos later - perhaps...

Umm, what was that I said about having a bit of playtime in the bunker?

I can't see much in the way of stone walling being done today!!

Jeff

Here is a TMC-weathered Jubilee 45587 'Baroda' to be going on with, complete with Leeds-Carlisle type countryside, well, a loose interpretation of it. As per 'Last of trhe Summer Wine', with remains of aqueducts even.

Hi Jeff, you'll be pleased to know that Wellington is looking ok. The car is going well. Always a doubt with Aussie-made GM stuff.

I have no doubt that with a deftly place lamp and suitable engines there will be nice photos of a finished KL in, oh, about a week....  month, year, who cares so long as it is good.

post-7929-0-92231400-1370988379.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob - evening for you...

Always very pleased to see a Jubilee. The previous Baroda image looks good in context.

As for "finished" KL. Well, there should be well developed areas of the layout on a timescale of months. Hard to say how it'll go as I'm continually being guided into projects which take several weeks (not that I mind, as it all adds to the overall picture).

Jeff

Received an email from TMC to inform me that my weathered locos are on the way back to me...  Photos later - perhaps...

Umm, what was that I said about having a bit of playtime in the bunker?

I can't see much in the way of stone walling being done today!!

Jeff

JEFF,

YES, YES, YES, PICS, PICS, PICS, PLEASE, :locomotive:

I cant wait to see if they are as good as me, hahahaaaa

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Here is a TMC-weathered Jubilee 45587 'Baroda' to be going on with, complete with Leeds-Carlisle type countryside, well, a loose interpretation of it. As per 'Last of trhe Summer Wine', with remains of aqueducts even.

Hi Jeff, you'll be pleased to know that Wellington is looking ok. The car is going well. Always a doubt with Aussie-made GM stuff.

I have no doubt that with a deftly place lamp and suitable engines there will be nice photos of a finished KL in, oh, about a week....  month, year, who cares so long as it is good.

attachicon.gifJubilee_Midland_1950s_Steam_Tunnel2_4abcd_r800.jpg

Very nice Rob, love the backdrop.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Having re-painted the hillside above the cutting, this is the state of affairs with the walling I was working on yesterday. It needs finishing off at the right hand (top) end:

post-13778-0-81767700-1370941661_thumb.jpg

Here's one I did earlier - bit tricky as the hillside here is steeper. This is 80 minutes work. Enough for now. Cutting the lawn and real bricklaying to do!

post-13778-0-01967700-1370941658_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Those walls are looking really good Jeff, you must be pleased with the outcome so far. Will look even better once you've splashed some paint around.

Somebody needs needs to get an paraffin wrag around that 9F, the shed master needs shooting, sending out an engine in that condition!

Hi Jeff, firstly the 9F, well what can I say, absolutely lovely mate, that will look the DOGS with a nice rake of about 40 Vans behind it.

Roll on KL the Movie,

Re the walls, well again you have surpassed yourself and produced a most realistic bit of walling,

PLEASE remind me again, JUST HOW LONG IS YOUR LAYOUT :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Those walls are certainly the dogs dodars Jeff. the effect is very good. I'm interested to see the effect when you have added the greenery...

Andy G

Those walls are certainly the dogs dodars Jeff. the effect is very good. I'm interested to see the effect when you have added the greenery...

Andy G

Ahh yes the GREENERY BIT, well Andy I have to agree with you and like most people viewing KL we are ALL waiting with batted breath for that elusive bit of GREENERY. :no:

Bodgit Greengrass :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Your fell-walling looks the jobby. It appears we have both reached a similar state of play with walls. It is just that we approach things differently.

Thanks Larry. I'll be building more conventional walls when I get to the station part, but there seemed no alternative but to bite on the bullet and make the Fell walls brick by brick. It can get a bit tedious, but a little bit at a time soon builds things up. I'll give the DAS a wash of light grey and a touch of brown to add a bit of colour.

Btw, I like the way you've fitted your backscene into Greenfield. Nice job!

Jeff