Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Rob - I think you'll find zero complaints on this thread regarding your lovely pictures. We enjoy them for what they are - evocative images of a time (mostly) gone past, which provoke the kind of "gut pleasure reaction" it's hard to put into words. I love looking at good quality models, and if they are set in an appropriate context, so much the better.

If the rivet counters want to moan, let them. They will often be the kind of people who've never built a layout because within a few seconds of starting they can't cope with the track being out of scale or, as you say, the smoke deflector has the wrong handholds!! To hell with that!

I like to think the Lunester environment is a friendly, welcoming one. I make mistakes but the "gang" humour me and re-direct me until I've learned my lesson and improved what I've done. At the end of the day we are supposed to ENJOY what we are doing. If it becomes too serious, it's time to re-evaluate the hobby.

The modern packaging is fine - with the transparent plastic innards. But the old polystyrene stuff is plain awful. I had to modify a couple of the latter when I sent my locos to TMC. Hopefully I'll not be doing that too often. I have a new cabinet - it can hold 20 Pacific-sized locos - to fix to the wall later. I should now have enough storage to keep me going until the end of next year...

Weather has been lovely here for the last week or so - sunny and warm. Enjoy your antipodean sunshine!

Jeff

• Like 2

Thankyou Jeff, the experience of polite and well-meaning criticism of the models I photograph was in the last couple in this thread in the Hornby section, last couple of pics. I probably took it the wrong way. Evocative images are what I truly enjoy making.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68772-large-green-and-powerful-locomotive/

Silly me to be so thin-skinned.

Another frosty night ahead.

Don't burn to a crisp digging trenches!

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Having just followed your link to the relevant thread I see what you mean.

Always a good idea not to make specific assertions re. classes of locos on here - many have a "vested interest" to defend. Anyway, continue to enjoy buying up the worlds stock of RTR and keep the pics coming. An 8F hauling freight would be nice......

Jeff

Sorry about my irritation at the errors in a couple of recent pictures.

Today I thought, damn the torpedoes, Jeff liked the Midland two Black 5s scene, here s a version with what look to be the remains of an aqueduct over the tunnel portal.  Wouldn't have happened in the real world though would it?

Note to Jeff. The original is 10,395 pixels-wide, 9.5MB., not 800-wide 180KB as shown here. high quality printed A3 landscape format no problem. 

Sun shining here on winter afternoon, about to cook potatoes and avocado vegetable mix, the better to think of new angles for photos. 

Your layout Jeff might end up with a photo of engines of choice emerging from a similar hillside, but mirror-image?

Hornby 44762 and 44781 bothe factory-weathered 2002 models, and back in their boxes!

attachicon.gifBR_Midland_1950s_Steam_Tunnel2_2a_r800.jpg

Rob

Yet another cracker Rob, thanks.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Update: A bit of touching up on the rock faces this morning. Fitted the final (small) piece of backscene board behind the corner and spashed a bit of blue onto a small portion to gauge the effect. Colour!? What is the layout coming to?

Presently manufacturing another 30 strips of DAS clay, ready for commencement of walling - probably Sunday (making proper concrete and laying proper bricks over the next 2 days).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure, if you put your mind to it, you could use real concrete for somethig on the layout.....

Andy G

Andy - don't encourage me! Some of my friends already think I have a "concrete fetish" - because of my love for garden landscaping. If concrete appeared in the bunker....I'd be in trouble!

I've a large collection of DAS strips now. So sad that they will probably only build a wall 60cm long!! A nice material to work with. If I was modelling 7mm I'd definitely use it for building fascias - as is so expertly done by George T.

Jeff

Morning all,

Jeff your desire to see an 8F hauling freight would be nice except that I sold my Hornby versions of these workhorses, there is currently on Ebay one I could buy at around 80 quid, but more importantly, I find slow trains a bit boring.  It was my upbrigning you know, and the physics teacher at high school hauled me out in front of a lab class and said I was headed for trouble. He was right.

Didn't ride my Norton Commando just to go down to the corner shop you know.  (My crime in physics was to take experimental result notes on a scap of paper, not a lined exercise book, but I think more to the point was my lack of attention. I had discovered girls)

I think I shall be doing another Merchant Navy pic today, then a heavily weathered Jubilee of S&C heritage, well, Leeds-based, then a weathered A3 with deflectors, 60049 'Diamond Jubilee', but could be changed, then a weathered 9F, and...

better have a quiet cup of tea first. I am looking forward to seeing some grass, moss and paint on the rock walls and bridgework on KL. See to it please. Don't worry about colours. We have filters to fix them.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it strange that we all like different aspects of railways? I was born two years after the demise of steam but it is my main interest, and I much prefer slow, dirty freight to fast, gleaming passenger. Even as a kid, I preferred seeing a 40 on tankers from Glaxo in Ulverston than a 47 hauling Mk2's on the daily Barrow to Euston (the only loco hauled passenger at the time).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it strange that we all like different aspects of railways? I was born two years after the demise of steam but it is my main interest, and I much prefer slow, dirty freight to fast, gleaming passenger. Even as a kid, I preferred seeing a 40 on tankers from Glaxo in Ulverston than a 47 hauling Mk2's on the daily Barrow to Euston (the only loco hauled passenger at the time).

I have to say that I'm in Jason's camp with this one. I enjoy almost all loco stock, but much prefer my locos to be pulling freight than coaches. Maybe I think there's more variety in the rolling stock with freight - but also a wider range of motive power. You're not going to see a 4F hauling a crack passenger service (at this point someone will find such an example!), or a class 08 ... but these engines, and their movements are intrinsically charming.

Don't get me wrong - I've a liking for my A1/2s , Duchesses etc, but operations with these on KL will be in the minority.

Human nature that we all like different details. Long may it continue!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An early rise to try to loosen up and get into the bunker for a bit of wall laying. Hand mixing a couple of tons of concrete tends to result in muscle stiffness these days!! Yes, we've got a mixer, but could we get the damn thing started?....

I've no idea how the walling is going to progress today - my first go at building directly onto a hill. I'll try and get some photos posted before I go off to mix some more of that lovely concrete stuff.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

You're not going to see a 4F hauling a crack passenger service (at this point someone will find such an example!), 

Jeff

Please sir, please sir - I have .  Not a crack express but an excursion carrying Class 1 lamps.  Going like the clappers (for a 4F, it must have been doing nearly 60mph) and it was on the Great Western mainline :O  (return excursion from Windsor to 'somewhere in the Midlands').

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Please sir, please sir - I have .  Not a crack express but an excursion carrying Class 1 lamps.  Going like the clappers (for a 4F, it must have been doing nearly 60mph) and it was on the Great Western mainline :O  (return excursion from Windsor to 'somewhere in the Midlands').

Cheers Mike - I knew someone would come up with something. And I guess you know the comings and goings on the railways as well as anybody!

I'll remember what you said when I get my Bachmann 4F later this year....shunting at 60mph scale speed through KL!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just got home after a long building session.... 7 hours worth of concrete, trenches and moving soil. Great fun and frazzled!

Time to relax, get out the stone wall photos and scheme out my masterplan!

Bit of a dead thread today - I thought somebody would have something to say. Can't blame you - enjoy the British summer while it lasts - probably until the middle of next week!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The british summer has already left East Anglia, been cloudy, grey and cold all day, infact I'm in a jumper and about to put a fleece back on!

I take it that you are going to be making another batch of strips while you are planning your walling explotes?

I've done two hours of filing around cab side sheets, and marking out for cutting tomorrow. I need to find a pair of compasses so I can cut some circles out neatly though....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

The british summer has already left East Anglia, been cloudy, grey and cold all day, infact I'm in a jumper and about to put a fleece back on!

I take it that you are going to be making another batch of strips while you are planning your walling explotes?

I've done two hours of filing around cab side sheets, and marking out for cutting tomorrow. I need to find a pair of compasses so I can cut some circles out neatly though....

Andy G

Absolutely correct. An hour here and an hour there making the strips is no problem and adds to the stock - which, of course, is rapidly depleted.

The vagaries of the weather for such a small country are amazing. When the sea fret comes in here it's freezing, but 10 miles further inland it can be scorching.

At least you are also making progress, Andy. Keep it up!

Jeff

Morning all,

Jeff your desire to see an 8F hauling freight would be nice except that I sold my Hornby versions of these workhorses, there is currently on Ebay one I could buy at around 80 quid, but more importantly, I find slow trains a bit boring.  It was my upbrigning you know, and the physics teacher at high school hauled me out in front of a lab class and said I was headed for trouble. He was right.

Didn't ride my Norton Commando just to go down to the corner shop you know.  (My crime in physics was to take experimental result notes on a scap of paper, not a lined exercise book, but I think more to the point was my lack of attention. I had discovered girls)

I think I shall be doing another Merchant Navy pic today, then a heavily weathered Jubilee of S&C heritage, well, Leeds-based, then a weathered A3 with deflectors, 60049 'Diamond Jubilee', but could be changed, then a weathered 9F, and...

better have a quiet cup of tea first. I am looking forward to seeing some grass, moss and paint on the rock walls and bridgework on KL. See to it please. Don't worry about colours. We have filters to fix them.

Hi Rob, I didn't realize Aissies drank TEA, hahahhaha

All the best and I am looking forward to the MN tomorrow.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, I didn't realize Aissies drank TEA, hahahhaha

All the best and I am looking forward to the MN tomorrow.

Bodgit

Careful Andy! Remember, Rob is a Kiwi, NOT an Aussie. They regard each other as two distinct species.

And come on - if the guy can show an appreciation of the finer points of the LMS and the S&C (we won't mention Southern) then he's got to be cultured - and a tea drinker!

Looking forward to the MN too. Just been looking at my old (2000) Hornby MN - it's a lovely model, even if it is tender driven.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but does he have a 'lid of tea' from the billycan sat on the ledge above the fire-hole?

I find that some parts of this modelling lark take an age and never seem to stop. Sadly my brain comes up with new things I want to make almost by the minute, I'm never going to have enough time to make all that I think I need, let alone all the other stuff I want!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff and Lunesters one and all.  Just been catching up - comes with being too tired of an evening during the week to concentrate then spending a long weekend out in the sun.  Great fun but leaves the brain cells behind.

Well, Jeff, fantastic to see the bridges in place.  Looking very impressive after the cuttings.

We're working on the bridge end of Camel Quay at the moment and your progress is encouraging my own efforts - getting over that 'blank sheet of paper' (white landscape) syndrome is the hardest part.

Keep up the good work.

Polly (and I haven't even mentioned the g**** word.  What is the world coming to?)

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but does he have a 'lid of tea' from the billycan sat on the ledge above the fire-hole?

Andy g

You only do that once Andy - next time you're in a buffet you make sure you keep the cup (although plenty of buffet staff were wise to that trick) and hope the burns on your lip from drinking out of a teacan lid have healed by then ;)

as a concession to travellers from the far reaches of Westmoreland, from where at least some of my ancestors hailed, from Barnard Castle even, the first of two Merchant Navy pics has two maroon Mk1s at the head of what may be the 8.15am ex-Bournemouth. These have been used to carry people from Leeds to Bournemouth and are being borrowed by the Southern, prior to use by the Midland for a service from London to Manchester, then Leeds again, which will have a 4F at the head over my dead body. A Jubilee, or Patriot,  or nothing.

This shows the lovely standard of the early Hornby super-detail models, c2000. TMC-weathered. Stands up well even today, I feel.

post-7929-0-68153100-1370726052.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere in the recesses of my grey cells, I recall that a 4F worked the Scarborough Flyer (complete with headboard) on part of its journey due to an engine failure.

You see? There is NO escape. Next thing, people will be telling me of the day they witnessed a class 08 running the ECML service doing 125mph!!

Cheers lads - I now KNOW this is THE place to find out incredible facts!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff and Lunesters one and all.  Just been catching up - comes with being too tired of an evening during the week to concentrate then spending a long weekend out in the sun.  Great fun but leaves the brain cells behind.

Well, Jeff, fantastic to see the bridges in place.  Looking very impressive after the cuttings.

We're working on the bridge end of Camel Quay at the moment and your progress is encouraging my own efforts - getting over that 'blank sheet of paper' (white landscape) syndrome is the hardest part.

Keep up the good work.

Polly (and I haven't even mentioned the g**** word.  What is the world coming to?)

Hi Polly. Glad to be of service if I'm providing inspiration. Better than all the perspiration I was producing today as I laboured in the sun!

The bridges aren't actually fixed in place yet, though the locations on the pics are near enough right. Still plenty to do in that corner. Walling tomorrow. Bridges will get fixed down after some ballasting has been done. And - maybe even some of that.....G!

Jeff