Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Thanks for the info. Iain. I'd forgotten you were one of the Capt. Kernow/Gordon S devotees!

I notice you've ballasted before weathering the track. I'll spray the track to muck up the sleepers and rust-paint the rails before the ballast goes in. Anyway, we'll just see how it goes!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Not quite - I paint the track first, then ballast, then weather on top of that.

Iain

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Not quite - I paint the track first, then ballast, then weather on top of that.

Iain

Ahhhhhhhh...... all becomes clear!

If one or two items I've ordered arrive, I'll ballast the cuttings at the start of next week.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those piccys of Daves are lovely, I particularly like the tunnel one, notice how the up and down lines are two different colours! Looks like the closest road has been ballasted with pink granite, but only in the 6ft and 4 ft, the cess is old dark granite (or something like it) also there is no real cess on the nearest side, but on the far there is deffinate ballast shoulder down onto what looks like ash cess (although it's not that wide, maybe 2 foot at most.) The Far road is just old dirty ballast

Looks like you will be able to mix it up well, and get lots of different colours and textures Jeff!

Andy G

You might have spotted this already but, as a fan of Mr. Riddles finest you may be interested in Bachmann's surprise release in the form of 9F 92233. I've just been looking at one (not to mention putting one away for next weeks purchase!) and it's superb! Originally a Newport and Bristol loco with western region  fittings, i.e. lamp irons, cut-away tender for fire-irons, etc., it moved to Newton Heath (9D) in May '64, then to Carlisle Kingmoor in October '64, so a definite candidate for KL. Even better is the cracking weathering job. Far better than the usual blast-over with brown paint. All it needs is a few small brush-applied rust, brake dust  & oil patches to make it perfect which should be well within your abilities. It even comes with an etched 'Pines Express' headboard (no idea which route that one took before Bristol!). Well worth looking at with a price around £120!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

Hi Bill, Good to hear from you again, or is it just that I HAVE MISSED YOU POSTING. :no:

I agree that the Bachy 9F does look good, I have 2 x 9F's and one is Hornby Railroad and the other pictured in the Lounge today is an old tender drive one that I have hard wired and runs a dream.

Bodgit :sungum: (previously known as the Old Lune)

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

You might have spotted this already but, as a fan of Mr. Riddles finest you may be interested in Bachmann's surprise release in the form of 9F 92233. I've just been looking at one (not to mention putting one away for next weeks purchase!) and it's superb! Originally a Newport and Bristol loco with western region  fittings, i.e. lamp irons, cut-away tender for fire-irons, etc., it moved to Newton Heath (9D) in May '64, then to Carlisle Kingmoor in October '64, so a definite candidate for KL. Even better is the cracking weathering job. Far better than the usual blast-over with brown paint. All it needs is a few small brush-applied rust, brake dust  & oil patches to make it perfect which should be well within your abilities. It even comes with an etched 'Pines Express' headboard (no idea which route that one took before Bristol!). Well worth looking at with a price around £120!

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill. Good to hear from you - it's been a while since you've posted on KL.

I am indeed a fan of the old 9Fs. If you look at post # 7068 you'll see a photo of said 92233. It IS nicely weathered. I'm going to send mine off to TMC in the near future for a bit of a heavy makeover - if you look back to the post I referred to you'll see "one I had done earlier"!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Those piccys of Daves are lovely, I particularly like the tunnel one, notice how the up and down lines are two different colours! Looks like the closest road has been ballasted with pink granite, but only in the 6ft and 4 ft, the cess is old dark granite (or something like it) also there is no real cess on the nearest side, but on the far there is deffinate ballast shoulder down onto what looks like ash cess (although it's not that wide, maybe 2 foot at most.) The Far road is just old dirty ballast

Looks like you will be able to mix it up well, and get lots of different colours and textures Jeff!

Andy G

Hi Andy. I think you'll find my ballasting is a little less varied than the original - a mix of greys for the main and a darkish cinder-iron oxide cess. As usual I'll try an "experiment" and post some pics before I do the real thing. With stuff still on order, probably Tuesday.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I am still not sure what I will use for ballast yet, I like your Grey BUT looking at Camel Quay, by Ray, (and probably Polly) he has used a reddish colour from a firm in North Wales. Now as you go through Devon and especially around the Dawlish area the soil is a Redish Brown, but I am still trying to find colour pics of the B & W Line, (NO NOT Bodmin and Wenford,) but under the original name before it became part of the LSWR it was the Bodmin and Wadebridge Line from Bodmin North to Wadebridge.

History Lesson over

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I am still not sure what I will use for ballast yet, I like your Grey BUT looking at Camel Quay, by Ray, (and probably Polly) he has used a reddish colour from a firm in North Wales. Now as you go through Devon and especially around the Dawlish area the soil is a Redish Brown, but I am still trying to find colour pics of the B & W Line, (NO NOT Bodmin and Wenford,) but under the original name before it became part of the LSWR it was the Bodmin and Wadebridge Line from Bodmin North to Wadebridge.

History Lesson over

Bodgit :sungum:

Evening Andy.

You could probably tint your ballast a red-brown colour with a dose of iron-ore mix. I've some on order and I'm going to try it in various combinations with cinders and Carrs dark grey for the cess. As I said to Andy (uax6), I'll put pics up of whatever I come up with.

Jeff

Evening Jeff, yes the more pics the better, even if they don't work we can all learn by it.

Looking at the pics you posted of the S & C I am surprised at the hight of the ballast, it must be just the S & C as I have never noticed it before. OR is it just that I AM NOW LOOKING AT IT?

I have several ballasts in my Chineese Take Away pots, from a Limestone N Gauge to Grey O Gauge,

Bodgit

Just a couple more from the extensive collection Dave sent to me. Cheers Dave - these photos are proving invaluable!

attachicon.gif3-10-2020 Paint 1.jpg

attachicon.gif4-10-2008_011 Paint 1.jpg

Jeff

Notice the different colours on track and ballast on uphill l/h line compared to r/h line... I'm presuming the l/h line is uphill because of more soot on tunnel above trains,  and thus I would, if I was choosing ballast colours, tend darker or lighter accordingly, and if I got it wrong use other excuses like weather, age-of-last-ballasting, or my favorite, 'a trick of the light'.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Just popped in between the Tour de France and sweltering on my patio project. nothing doing here - I guess a lot of the nation is watching Andy Murray.

There'll be a few practical advancements on here this week, once I'm re-supplied. Until then, apologies for the hiatus.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff its been a busy day,

DEMU,

Andy Murray,

German F1 GP.

Glass of wine,

Feet up and relax. :no:

Bodgit

Very true:

Cleaning my house (35% done!)

Tour de France

Andy Murray

Patio building

10 minute visit to the bunker: 25C in garden, 28C in outer part of garage, 19C in insulated bunker - delightfully cool!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oi Some of use have been working in tropical heats, cooler than yesterday, just peaking at 28.8 *C! Ok I've had the air con on full.... Both windows open and the door, with 3 fans on full belt!

We've had a heat related wiring failure, which made me have to walk in the sun to pick up modified working tickets, and I've been carring on with my tri-ang J83 destruction too.

A busy day here!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd better post something in KL or it could be the first day in months where there hasn't been a single post!

I'm hoping the cork tiles I've ordered turn up tomorrow. If that happens I'll start work on the ballasting of the cutting and fix the bridges in position. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days, once started.

Wait and see!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yea Rob, but it doesn't last, I am away next week and I bet it rains again then.

Bodgit

I'm grateful for all the insulation I put into the bunker when I converted the garage. It used to be like hell in there - up to 30C. Now it's remarkably pleasant....I expect around 16C when I go in there at 7 in the morning. Rising to 20C when the outside temperature peaks....

Btw Andy, I've just topped-up my stocks of Woodland Scenics Earth and Green Blend fine turf - so expect a base coat of grassy-type stuff around the cutting, once the ballasting has been done. YES, re-read that - and don't die of shock!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I'm grateful for all the insulation I put into the bunker when I converted the garage. It used to be like hell in there - up to 30C. Now it's remarkably pleasant....I expect around 16C when I go in there at 7 in the morning. Rising to 20C when the outside temperature peaks....

Btw Andy, I've just topped-up my stocks of Woodland Scenics Earth and Green Blend fine turf - so expect a base coat of grassy-type stuff around the cutting, once the ballasting has been done. YES, re-read that - and don't die of shock!!

Jeff

Your avin a jaraff at my expence guvnor.

GRASS ain't wot it used to be.

How long did it take you to get grass on your last masterpiece?

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Your avin a jaraff at my expence guvnor.

GRASS ain't wot it used to be.

How long did it take you to get grass on your last masterpiece?

Bodgit

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this.... I started the last one in February 2003 and - checking my old photos - it took me just over 2 YEARS!!!!

So, come on, I only started KL 13 months ago - I'm doing quite well!

Jeff (the Giraffe)