Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, Whilst Jeff is away lets hi jack the thread and get him to 300 pages of dribble, hahaaaa

On a more serious note, it is amazing that when the pics stop coming, then new ideas dry up and it all goes very spookilly quiet on here.

Where is the main man?

Maybe he is planting the GRASS, AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit  :sungum:

Hi Andy, I'm still here - honest!

Not much time for the layout at the mo because of the patio project. However, the weather will stop external work on Tuesday, so there'll be something done in the bunker tomorrow.

I promise to post pics of whatever I do.

Must admit, I don't like a quiet thread - and there are plenty of quiet threads on the Forum at the moment. Must be the time of year.

Btw, it's almost exactly a year since I started the viaduct build. Seems years ago to me!

Jeff

Hi Andy, I'm still here - honest!

Not much time for the layout at the mo because of the patio project. However, the weather will stop external work on Tuesday, so there'll be something done in the bunker tomorrow.

I promise to post pics of whatever I do.

Must admit, I don't like a quiet thread - and there are plenty of quiet threads on the Forum at the moment. Must be the time of year.

Btw, it's almost exactly a year since I started the viaduct build. Seems years ago to me!

Jeff

NO NO :O  Please just the layout if you don't mind :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Andy - don't panic....it's most likely to be an exciting photo of a piece of SMP with Copydex and 2mm ballast applied.

Not the kind of thing you'd want to submit to Playboy!!  :O  :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

*for a minute there, I thought the mankini was getting another airing....*

Scott - as soon as I saw you'd posted I thought..."here comes the mankini!!"

Maybe someone who is skillful with 00 figures could make a mankini-clad figure to walk the Fell, herding the sheep. Just a suggestion .... Chris?

At least it isn't Reg Varney! 

Jeff

post-8688-0-76616800-1372677890.jpg

"I'll 'ave you, Jukebox!"

Of course, if that 4mm Mankini comment is a challenge, I'm up for it on one condition:  I'll [attempt to] make you a 4mm Mankini Jeff ,and a 4mm Comical Ali Jeff, so long as they crew a loco of K/L with an open footplate for all the world to see [if they look closely enough!].

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant stuff! One of these days I'll have to "pop over" to Perth and meet the Jukebox jester himself!!

I'd be quite happy to have Mankini Man and Ali crewing one of my 9Fs - or a Black 5 / Jubilee.... you take your pick!

Let me know how you want to proceed and I'll send you an address!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm. Maybe it needs to be a Dub-Dee, if we're talking Comical Ali!

Hold that thought and I'll PM in a few weeks you when I have something worthy....

Scott

Ironic, considering that I bought my first Dub-Dee last week!!

I await with bated (or is it baited?) breath!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Sausages, or Ice Cream?

Just asking...

:jester:

I see the humour doesn't get any better!!

If you wait for JUST ONE CORNETTO MOMENTO I'll sort it out!

Sorry. Must be all that sunshine on my head while I was bricklaying today!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Jeff, you know what they say;

If the cap fits, wear it, hahaaaaa

Walls, we want WALLS, we want WALLS, we want WALLS.

Bodgit

Well Andy, you'll be pleased to hear I'll be having a day in the bunker tomorrow.

I think I can accommodate your desire for walls as I'll be building a good 30 - 40cm of new wall, including some kind of stile. I've been wanting to do this for a week but other things have got in the way.

I'm also going to set up the ballasting trial with some offcuts of SMP. I'd prefer to use the Captain Kernow PVA technique/Jason Copydex method if possible. We'll see what happens.

Good to see you're already half-way through the design and build of Bute Road!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

Nice one Jeff, you know what they say;

If the cap fits, wear it, hahaaaaa

Walls, we want WALLS, we want WALLS, we want WALLS.

Bodgit

Is that a type of g***s :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  

• RMweb Premium

Is that a type of g***s :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  

Now don't YOU start! It was bad enough being misrepresented as Reg Varney, dressed in a mankini and eating a cornetto while muttering "sausages"....

But, to paraphrase Mr Fawlty... "don't mention the grass!!"

Jeff

You can mention the grass, Jeff, just don't mention the war.  

I did on another model rail forum - but didn't get away with it...  :O

Result: hyper-sensitive moderation, and me deleting my own account! 

Well Andy, you'll be pleased to hear I'll be having a day in the bunker tomorrow.

I think I can accommodate your desire for walls as I'll be building a good 30 - 40cm of new wall, including some kind of stile. I've been wanting to do this for a week but other things have got in the way.

I'm also going to set up the ballasting trial with some offcuts of SMP. I'd prefer to use the Captain Kernow PVA technique/Jason Copydex method if possible. We'll see what happens.

Good to see you're already half-way through the design and build of Bute Road!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

Morning Jeff, I am just sitting down for a coffee and Belgium Bun and haveing a catch up on here, I have also been looking on the Marcway website, and I have been looking at the track plan this morning but I wont fill up KL with that.

I am really looking forward to seeing the ballast trials, in full glorious technicolour.

If, as I think, you have already laid your track, how will you go about lifting it to lay the track on the Copydex/PVA and then re lay it?

Catch up again later, I have a LAYOUT TO BUILD, hahaaa

Bodgit of the Moor. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

The technique you refer to was the one used by Larry - a "bed" of PVA painted onto the cork and the track stuck onto it. My track is already fixed down - the SMP is glued to the cork with PVA. 

What I'll be trialling is application of ballast - I've used the traditional way of ballast/wet-water/eye-dropper many times. This time I'll just be painting a thin layer of Copydex/PVA between each sleeper and sprinkling ballast ONTO the adhesive (not the other way round). Ballast dries and is hoovered off. This is how GordonS/Jason have done it - with PVA/Copydex respectively.

The critics argue that this method doesn't give a "deep-ballast" effect. At the moment, I've no idea what'll happen - so I've got some offcuts of SMP ready to give it a try!

Jeff

• Like 2

Morning Andy.

The technique you refer to was the one used by Larry - a "bed" of PVA painted onto the cork and the track stuck onto it. My track is already fixed down - the SMP is glued to the cork with PVA. 

What I'll be trialling is application of ballast - I've used the traditional way of ballast/wet-water/eye-dropper many times. This time I'll just be painting a thin layer of Copydex/PVA between each sleeper and sprinkling ballast ONTO the adhesive (not the other way round). Ballast dries and is hoovered off. This is how GordonS/Jason have done it - with PVA/Copydex respectively.

The critics argue that this method doesn't give a "deep-ballast" effect. At the moment, I've no idea what'll happen - so I've got some offcuts of SMP ready to give it a try!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, even with my small layout, painting PVA/Copydex between each sleeper could take forever, (but then I am not in any hurry) BUT with your big one it could take a lifetime :O

I will watch with open gob!!!! :nono:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, even with my small layout, painting PVA/Copydex between each sleeper could take forever, (but then I am not in any hurry) BUT with your big one it could take a lifetime :O

I will watch with open gob!!!! :nono:

It's all relative.... Compared to the time taken to build the stone walls it may not be TOO bad.... umm.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ok, nothing particularly exciting - but at least I've done something.

One of the cross-walls on the FELL, with my first attempt at a stile-like structure... Chip's photo from a few pages back is included as the basis I'm working from:

post-13778-0-07024500-1372778261_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21817100-1372778269_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-42140900-1372778276.jpg

Just watching the Tour de France then it'll be out with the Copydex.

Jeff

EDIT: CLEARLY the wall is a work in progress!!!!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Ok, nothing particularly exciting - but at least I've done something.

One of the cross-walls on the FELL, with my first attempt at a stile-like structure... Chip's photo from a few pages back is included as the basis I'm working from:

attachicon.gif100_3548.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3549.JPG

attachicon.gifpost-8639-0-68340900-13715850071.jpg

Just watching the Tour de France then it'll be out with the Copydex.

Jeff

EDIT: CLEARLY the wall is a work in progress!!!!

Hi Jeff, I must say I am impressed how you managed to capture the image and with SNOW on the Fell as well, haaaaa.

In all seriousness though I am impressed, the wall has the right look to it and I am frighted to look and see if my area of Cornwall has any stone walls,

Think I might build a Swiss Layout, NO WALLS, only Ice Cream.

Bodgit, P.S. more pics please very impressed. how about a distant shot along the Fell.

• RMweb Premium

Looks great, can I ask what you are using to makes the stones?

Hi Scott.

The stones are made from DAS modelling clay. If you go back to post # 6343 you'll see the method for making them and additional details.

I can't take credit for the method (MR Feb 13) but I'm grateful for it - even though it is a bit of a slow process!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I must say I am impressed how you managed to capture the image and with SNOW on the Fell as well, haaaaa.

In all seriousness though I am impressed, the wall has the right look to it and I am frighted to look and see if my area of Cornwall has any stone walls,

Think I might build a Swiss Layout, NO WALLS, only Ice Cream.

Bodgit, P.S. more pics please very impressed. how about a distant shot along the Fell.

Hi Andy - I'll see what I can get, distant shot-wise....

Bad news for you re. walling... I did a Google on "Devon stone walls" (is your layout Cornwall?). I'm afraid it came up with lots of images like this:

dry-stone-wall-2.jpg

Looks like you are in for a bit of walling!!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff