Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

as ever I save painting new scenery, with this on the same stretch of ex-LSWR line recently witnessing an N15 not long before its 1959 withdrawal.

So I will call it a 'recently unearthed historical document, showing 21C123 'Blackmoor Vale' in September 1947 just after it was transferred from Ramsgate to Nine Elms.  Plenty of summer grass about.

How the photographer managed to obtain a sharp photo with the Kodak Colour film of the time, 8asa for Kodachrome I, and 25 asa for Kodachrome II will remain a mystery known only by Hornby, who provided the engine, carriages, signals, signalbox and platelayer's hut. Personally, I suspect it isn't a real train.

post-7929-0-69220800-1373344703.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

as ever I save painting new scenery, with this on the same stretch of ex-LSWR line recently witnessing an N15 not long before its 1959 withdrawal.

So I will call it a 'recently unearthed historical document, showing 21C123 'Blackmoor Vale' in September 1947 just after it was transferred from Ramsgate to Nine Elms.  Plenty of summer grass about.

How the photographer managed to obtain a sharp photo with the Kodak Colour film of the time, 8asa for Kodachrome I, and 25 asa for Kodachrome II will remain a mystery known only by Hornby, who provided the engine, carriages, signals, signalbox and platelayer's hut. Personally, I suspect it isn't a real train.

attachicon.gif21C123_West_Country_express_1947_3ab_r800.jpg

I remember using my first "Instamatic" with Kodak/Ilford colour film in the mid-60s. Anything that moved was blurred. OK, it wasn't exactly professional equipment but I take your point re. film speed. Adventures into astronomical photography using b/w Tri-X "pushed" to 1000ASA.... wow. We don't know how lucky we are these days!

And what's this about it not being a real train? Have you been carrying out photographic fraudulence, young McGavin?!!  :O  :O

Jeff

...what's this about it not being a real train? Have you been carrying out photographic fraudulence, young McGavin?!!  :O  :O

Jeff

you might think so, but I couldn't possibly comment 

edit; my elderly friend and mentor, Bodgit esq. will answer for my character. Personally, I have no knowledge of the alleged incident.

Edited by robmcg

attachicon.gif21C123_West_Country_express_1947_3ab_r800.jpg

Hi Rob, you are playing mind games with me, all this Malacite is getting to me and I will end up with at LEAST ONE M7 if I am not carefull

As usual another awe inspiring pikkie mate (sorry was that a bit to Aussie for you) :no:  I notice the the other signal is now down and the grass is a nice GREEN but don't tell Jeff. If he had planted real grass last year on KL it would be a foot tall by now, hahahaa

Bodgit :sungum:

you might think so, but I couldn't possibly comment 

edit; my elderly friend and mentor, Bodgit esq. will answer for my character. Personally, I have no knowledge of the alleged incident.

I KNOW NOTHING :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Anonymous :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, you are playing mind games with me, all this Malacite is getting to me and I will end up with at LEAST ONE M7 if I am not carefull

As usual another awe inspiring pikkie mate (sorry was that a bit to Aussie for you) :no:  I notice the the other signal is now down and the grass is a nice GREEN but don't tell Jeff. If he had planted real grass last year on KL it would be a foot tall by now, hahahaa

I did. We had a terrible winter. It died. I'm back to square one!  :jester:  :no:

As for malachite-coloured locos.... Andy, you will use ANY excuse to justify buying more locos....!!

Cork still hasn't arrived...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Waiting for the postman at Casa del Lunester would be like watching grass grow...

That is a corker of a joke, Scott!!

Still no cork....tomorrow, maybe. I need it to fill in the gaps between the existing cork underlay and the sides of the cutting - to maintain a level ground base.

In the meantime, more house cleaning: 25C here, fairly humid and the hot exhaust from a 2kW vacuum cleaner isn't helping!

Time for some Tour de France, methinks.

Jeff

• Like 1

I did. We had a terrible winter. It died. I'm back to square one!  :jester:  :no:

As for malachite-coloured locos.... Andy, you will use ANY excuse to justify buying more locos....!!

Cork still hasn't arrived...

Jeff

Have you checked Ireland? :O :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit no less :no:

Waiting for the postman at Casa del Lunester would be like watching grass grow...

Love it, love it, love it.

Bodgit

I agree about the pointwork. I put a comparison photo of the Peco and Marcway curved points in an earlier post. The size of the thing was such that I had to rearrange the layout plan a few weeks ago. But worth it. Mind you, it wasn't built (electrically) quite as I expected, but that was easy to sort out. Thank goodness for Dremels!

The drilling is fine - as long as the bits are over a millimetre. I'm fiddling with 0.6mm and 0.8mm drill at the mo - they are so thin I'm bound to snap them. And too late... I already have the finger holes!! Lol. :O

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I know this is going back a bit, and thank goodness for your index,

I have received my Marcway points today and they LOOK cut through the sleepers but not the rails. Have you just soldered the moving blade to the main rail and then cut near the V as per your previous pic with the curved point?

With Peco Electrofrog I normally just attach a wire across underneath and then CUT the little wire that joins moving rails to the V. Is it the same principal or am I being a bit thick.

I am away all day tomorrow so I will catch up on Thursday if I don't get a chance later, pics of how you did it, including the solder burn holes in your fingers would be helpful as I can then see where to avoid putting my fingers, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahahaaa

• Like 1

Jeff, just a heads-up regarding your ballasting, I've just been reading a thread here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36101-meon-flats-birth-and-death/

and jbe says that he used Copydex, which, after some time, peeled and shrank, with obvious problems.

Thanks for posting that Al, I think there is a warning there for everyone.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I know this is going back a bit, and thank goodness for your index,

I have received my Marcway points today and they LOOK cut through the sleepers but not the rails. Have you just soldered the moving blade to the main rail and then cut near the V as per your previous pic with the curved point?

With Peco Electrofrog I normally just attach a wire across underneath and then CUT the little wire that joins moving rails to the V. Is it the same principal or am I being a bit thick.

I am away all day tomorrow so I will catch up on Thursday if I don't get a chance later, pics of how you did it, including the solder burn holes in your fingers would be helpful as I can then see where to avoid putting my fingers, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahahaaa

Hi Andy.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I've been working on the patio project and just got home.

You will need to use a cutting disc to cut through the copper layer of each sleeper as the two stock rails still have electrical continuity. Cut through up to the point where you cut the closure rails - as in the photo in post # 792.

I then electrically bonded each closure (blade) rail to the corresponding stock rail. I did this by soldering a dropper wire to the stock rail and to to the blade and then connecting the two droppers. In some places I simply used a piece of thin copper wire to solder connect the blade to the stock rail, then took a single dropper through the baseboard to the Cobalt motor.

I'm sure you know what to do, but post # 2149 shows the relevant wiring of the electrofrogs and Cobalts.

Reading what I've written it all sounds like gobbledegook. I hope it makes sense and helps!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, just a heads-up regarding your ballasting, I've just been reading a thread here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36101-meon-flats-birth-and-death/

and jbe says that he used Copydex, which, after some time, peeled and shrank, with obvious problems.

Thanks for the warning, Al.

I'm going ahead with the PVA method I discussed in post # 7262 as it seemed to work well. My experiments with Copydex gave poor results.

I'm not knocking Copydex - I know it's worked well for some people.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm off to find 792 wherever that is. I hope its a room in a hotel with some nice chick waiting to make an old man very happy, hahhaa

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Looks like the Forum is running again!!

I've been modifying the Marcway points, the complication being with the closure rails. Obviously, for good operation, I don't want electrical continuity of the closure rails to be blade-contact dependent. The turnouts have been manufactured so the closure rails, after gapping from the frog, are still electrically connected to each other. Cutting through the copper layer on the PCB sleepers with a cutting disc has rectified that. A little bit of paint and you'd never know!

I told you this wasn't exciting but it IS what I'm doing!

Photos enclosed...

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, now I see having read it again, and again, and again.

Now I need to find that page on wiring the Cobolts.

Bodgit

Does anyone know a quick way to find post 2149? I have tried going back but it is taking for ever.

Bodgit

EDIT = FOUND IT EASILY, :no: SEE BELOW :declare:  

Edited by Andrew P

Enough of this ballasting stuff, I just had a new book thrown at my back door, interrupting my humble breakfast of bread and water, and I thrust my hand bravely outside into the freezing wet  cold windy weather and, oh joy!  it is "The Last Decade of British Railways Steam" by Gavin Morrison,  a tour de force of brilliant colour well printed,  INCREDIBLE QUALITY BOOK 

I am duly inspired , there are many Midland pics as per Skipton, Belah Viaduct,  also A4s and at a glimpse, yes,  SPAMCANS galore.  I got this from Amazon about £20 from memory.

Might have to photograpgh something  , oh the burdens are many... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff, I'm off to find 792 wherever that is. I hope its a room in a hotel with some nice chick waiting to make an old man very happy, hahhaa

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Glad you found the relevant references. I had a look at what I'd done to remind myself of the track work from earlier this year. I'm glad I've documented the whole process as I'd forgotten quite a few things - and it was only 5-6 months ago!

I hope the young lady was waiting for you.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Enough of this ballasting stuff, I just had a new book thrown at my back door, interrupting my humble breakfast of bread and water, and I thrust my hand bravely outside into the freezing wet  cold windy weather and, oh joy!  it is "The Last Decade of British Railways Steam" by Gavin Morrison,  a tour de force of brilliant colour well printed,  INCREDIBLE QUALITY BOOK 

I am duly inspired , there are many Midland pics as per Skipton, Belah Viaduct,  also A4s and at a glimpse, yes,  SPAMCANS galore.  I got this from Amazon about £20 from memory.

Might have to photograpgh something  , oh the burdens are many... 

Just checked out the book you referred to. It looks superb - may have to get a copy!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: Cork has arrived and I've fitted several sections around the tunnel areas to give a level surface (beyond the rails) throughout.

Still a bit more to do - and a couple of sleepers to replace. Ballasting tomorrow.

Jeff

• Like 1