Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Come on Jeff, give us the pics, don't be afraid,

JUST BE VERY AFRAID, hahahaa

Bodgit

Jeff, you are closing in on 300 pages,

will you get there by the end of the Month?

AND STILL NO GRASS. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy.

Just got home - so a week without any bunker work. I think there'll be grass by the end of July, but we'll see.... To be honest, I'll be well miffed if there isn't!!

Walls, ballasting, grass.... As Mike and Andy have intimated, some of us would really like to see how you go about it with the HBL....

Very pleased to hear about the SMP btw!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember the phrase "and lead us not into temptation..." somewhere in the past.....

Went into the bunker at 6pm to do a bit of walling - first practical thing for a week. 90 minutes later I hadn't laid a stone - oh dear, running a 9F, 2 Peppercorns, a Jubilee and my new Austerity was far more entertaining. To my credit, I did check a lot of turnout motors and route settings were functioning correctly, running locos in both forward and reverse.

So I suppose "I did good (!!!!)" in the end!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone will condemn you for that Jeff, even with your layout as it is now, seeing trains running over that viaduct and through the scenery must be great.

Envious apprentice Lune (if I'm allowed)

• RMweb Premium

I don't think anyone will condemn you for that Jeff, even with your layout as it is now, seeing trains running over that viaduct and through the scenery must be great.

Envious apprentice Lune (if I'm allowed)

Al, with your splendid work on Bakewell, you have passed your Lunester internship with flying colours.

Welcome to the ranks of the totally insane (Bodgit), the sensible (!) ...erm, can't think of anybody... and the whole spectrum in-between!

Uber-Lune-Fuhrer Jeff

Hi Rob.

I'm aware of your allergic reaction to diesels. I quite like them, though I haven't bought any this year (a 37 and 2 40s in the pipeline).

As for kettles - more on the way, photos when possible.

Btw, there is a beautifully weathered WD on the TMC website. If you search "WD" you'll see the one I mean - "rusty" as hell!

Jeff

Oh I'm not averse to diesels and one of the most exciting rides I have ever had in my illbegotten life was behind a diesel engine, and that includes many hair-raising fast motorbike rides ( youthful physical abilities in advance of brain development mostly).

It (the train ride) was a 52 mile non-stop part of a run with a late Auckland-Wellington summer daytime express, running about 35 mins late, the driver was so keen he was air-braking deep into corners, 10-15 chain radius at worst, with passengers almost gripping the seats, and loose luggage in danger of falling off racks, I think we made about 25 minutes on schedule with an average of a shade over 50mph. The engine was geared for 62mph max.

This was akin to lapping the IOM on a 500cc production Triumph twin at 99mph  AVERAGE, as was done I think in 1971, with a bike which could barely reach 115mph. That railway ride gave me my first understanding of feathering throttle, braking and sliding a fast road bike on tarmac.

But I digress, as ever,

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Oh I'm not averse to diesels and one of the most exciting rides I have ever had in my illbegotten life was behind a diesel engine, and that includes many hair-raising fast motorbike rides ( youthful physical abilities in advance of brain development mostly).

You know, I misread that completely the first time I read it, and I was wracking my brains to think of a production diesel motorbike you could have ridden in your youth :scratchhead:

Then I went back and read it properly...

:nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al, with your splendid work on Bakewell, you have passed your Lunester internship with flying colours.

Welcome to the ranks of the totally insane (Bodgit), the sensible (!) ...erm, can't think of anybody... and the whole spectrum in-between!

Uber-Lune-Fuhrer Jeff

That is very kind of you, really it is. I still feel like a very junior member in such company. You have some of the best modellers I have ever seen within your ranks.

Al

(proud-to-be-a-Lune)

I seem to remember the phrase "and lead us not into temptation..." somewhere in the past.....

Went into the bunker at 6pm to do a bit of walling - first practical thing for a week. 90 minutes later I hadn't laid a stone - oh dear, running a 9F, 2 Peppercorns, a Jubilee and my new Austerity was far more entertaining. To my credit, I did check a lot of turnout motors and route settings were functioning correctly, running locos in both forward and reverse.

So I suppose "I did good (!!!!)" in the end!

Jeff

Evening Jeff,

I hope your WD runs as good as mine, it is so slow you can hardly tell if it is moving, leave it for a few moments and you can see that it has in fact moved about an inch.

Nowt wrong wiv palyin traaains lad as you Northerners say. :nono:

• RMweb Premium

That is very kind of you, really it is. I still feel like a very junior member in such company. You have some of the best modellers I have ever seen within your ranks.

Al

(proud-to-be-a-Lune)

There are some very good modellers on here, but I fear I might be an apprentice somewhat longer!

I don't blame Jeff for having a play testing session, just right to get back into the feel of things. Infact I think I'd have something rumbling round while i was working on it!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Well having read through page 39, it would appear that Bogit has three methods

The first is to lay it normally and just rough it,

The second is to lay it normally and trim it short.

The third way is to paint the area as Jeff has done, then lay on another mix of PVA  and paint and wait for it to go tacky, once it has gone tacky, lay on the Basket Liner fury side down, and pres it in hard and leave it for a few days to really go off, then pull off the backing. I used all three methods on St Budoc for the field, meadow and rough grass

Now is it possible for Baron to elaborate on which method he used for each type of grass please?

I had a thought tonight (while SWMBO was giving me the silent treatment) that the little tuffs of grass that you see in wet areas could be made from toothbrush bristles painted green. Is there a better (non static method - I can't afford that route!) way of doing this sort of thing?

Andy G

• Like 1

Well having read through page 39, it would appear that Bogit has three methods

The first is to lay it normally and just rough it,

The second is to lay it normally and trim it short.

The third way is to paint the area as Jeff has done, then lay on another mix of PVA  and paint and wait for it to go tacky, once it has gone tacky, lay on the Basket Liner fury side down, and pres it in hard and leave it for a few days to really go off, then pull off the backing. I used all three methods on St Budoc for the field, meadow and rough grass

Now is it possible for Baron to elaborate on which method he used for each type of grass please?

I had a thought tonight (while SWMBO was giving me the silent treatment) that the little tuffs of grass that you see in wet areas could be made from toothbrush bristles painted green. Is there a better (non static method - I can't afford that route!) way of doing this sort of thing?

Andy G

Hi Andy, I only ever had one bit of grass from the Garden Center and used it in all three ways.

Don't forget that with the last method, let it go hard, a week maybe.

And don't forget that you can also add to it with Flock, Static, Foliage, Bramble, etc.

Bodgit

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy G

You can buy clumps of tufty grass in the Silflor range, available from International Models. Very good - but quite pricey. I need to get a few packs!

Woodland Scenics do a "Field Grass" product which I think is made from horse hair. The strands can be cut into shorter sections and dipped into a blob of PVA to resemble reeds etc. I've included a pic from a few years back showing a collection of "reeds" in a pond on the old layout. Excuse the trains running on the wrong lines!

post-13778-0-97946200-1372480475_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

I hope your WD runs as good as mine, it is so slow you can hardly tell if it is moving, leave it for a few moments and you can see that it has in fact moved about an inch.

Nowt wrong wiv palyin traaains lad as you Northerners say. :nono:

Andy, it's an absolute beauty. Ran very well straight out of the box and its slow motion, now it's run-in, is commendable.

The WD will be heading to TMC in a few weeks time for a dose of heavy weathering.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Al

(proud-to-be-a-Lune)

Morning Al.

The thing that has surprised me (over the last year or so) is how much fun - and how well it (sometimes) works - if you're prepared to have-a-go and try out different things. The Lunesters, and quite a number of the layout threads on the Forum, are full of ideas and suggestions and it's hard not to pick up new techniques/approaches to problems.

I don't think I could be an active member of RMweb if I wasn't actually doing something. Watching people like Bodgit and Jason makes me "itch" to get stuck in and build things! It's definitely addictive!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

How can the Bodgit be compared to the likes of you, Jason, George and now Al?

Bodge

Andy - you may not scratchbuild bridges, viaducts, walls etc, but you scratchbuild LAYOUTS - with superb effect, irrespective of the warp speed with which you construct them!!

Please don't put yourself down!

Jeff

Andy - you may not scratchbuild bridges, viaducts, walls etc, but you scratchbuild LAYOUTS - with superb effect, irrespective of the warp speed with which you construct them!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, cheers but I can assure you that Bute Road will be a much slower process, I night even start a thread tomorrow as at Midnight 20 its a bit late/early to start thinking of something sane to say, EVEN ME CAN'T BE THAT CLEVER, hahaaahaaahha :no:

Bodgiy the Bodger, Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

Hear, hear!

(And no Bodgit, that doesn't mean you're deaf!)

We all have different skills, Jeff's are carpentry, plastering and dry-stone walling, :) Rob's include stunning model photography, (no, not that sort of model, please keep up!)  :O  and mine... erm...  are apparently sticking bits of plastikard together and copying other people... :blush:

Yours, however, could fill a book, and probably should. Your painting is awesome, your ability to make a landscape believable, in any scale, is amazing, and you appear to build layouts by waving a magic wand, you do it so quickly and so well. :fan:

nuff said.

Al

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, cheers but I can assure you that Bute Road will be a much slower process, I night even start a thread tomorrow as at Midnight 20 its a bit late/early to start thinking of something sane to say, EVEN ME CAN'T BE THAT CLEVER, hahaaahaaahha :no:

Bodgiy the Bodger, Bodgit :sungum:

That's great news as I'm sure we'll have plenty to discuss. You may need to inspire me to get going again as I'm presently sidelined by being away and working on the patio project (see Lounge for recent pics).

For those KL watchers waiting for something new to happen, I think I'll manage a bit of walling and some ballast testing this week..... we will see!

Jeff

• Like 1

Agh Jeff, yes ballast testing,

that I am looking forward to watching with great interest as I have only ever done Peco and that's about 3ft deep, but it does cover up all my BAD track laying.

I will be popping over to Bacup and having another read of Jasons methods and exploits as well again soon, (NO NOT THAT SOON)

First I need a plan.

Your brick work inside and outside the Bunker is really impressive and you could come OUT OF RETIREMENT and start a NEW PROFESSION, hahaaa

What do you mean, NOT ENOUGH TIME?

Bodgit

Edited by Andrew P

First I need a plan.

Bodgit

That's the voice I hear about 2am most mornings.  But I ignore it studiously, being devoted to a life of random events.

I do look forward to a new thread involving tracklaying. You get the pain, I get to read about it. Excellent.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob, Whilst Jeff is away lets hi jack the thread and get him to 300 pages of dribble, hahaaaa

On a more serious note, it is amazing that when the pics stop coming, then new ideas dry up and it all goes very spookilly quiet on here.

Where is the main man?

Maybe he is planting the GRASS, AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit  :sungum: